NDK AMV rules posted

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
scottanime
The One
Org Profile

NDK AMV rules posted

Post by scottanime » Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:31 pm

Rules for the Nan Desu Kan AMV contest in Denver, CO are now up.

http://www.ndk.cc/ndk2004/ProgrammingMV2004.html
Scott Peterson
NDK AMV Coordinator 2006-2022
Sac Anime AMV Coordinator 2007 & 2010
Fanime AMV Coordinator 2003-2006

bawenrich
Org Profile

Post by bawenrich » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:23 pm

Here are Wynette's rules for entries for NDK2004:
NDK8 Anime Music Video Contest

1. The Rules Rule – There is a change in one of the rules. If you do not understand the rules in whole or part, please contact me. Be forewarned, if you break the rules I reserve the right to disallow your entry.

2. Japanese Content Rule - Obviously, since this is a Music Video Contest at a Japanese Animation Convention, submitted material must either use anime footage or Japanese music or have some relation to Japanese animation.

3. Copyright Rule - No personal copyrights on your editing. You cannot copyright editing. It is OK to show the copyright and trademarks of the company that made the anime or the musician that performed the music. I will not show tapes with people saying that their music video is copy written material, unless… you actually animated it or wrote/performed the music. Once again, if you don’t understand that, e-mail me.

4. Small Print Rule - All decisions of the judges are final. We reserve the right to refuse to accept or show any video on any grounds. By accepting a video we do not guarantee that it will be shown. We do not have to give you a reason. This is a contest judged by a small number of individuals or one person. The aesthetic taste of these judges may not necessarily reflect the taste of the convention management. All judging decisions could be considered arbitrary. NDK reserves the right to show videos submitted to this contest at other conventions or gatherings of anime fans, including future NDK conventions, for the purposes of promoting this contest, NDK, or animation in general.

5. Category Rule - There are no categories. We will award 4 Asukas to the 4 videos we like best. We will award 1 Asuka to the video the audience liked best. We will decide which videos are shown to the audience. (see rule #4) So yes, the judges do have a hand in what the audience favorite will be. All submissions containing Video Game footage are also eligible for the Bakudan Video Game Music Video Award.

6. Number of Submissions Rule - You, as in you as a single person or creative team/entity, may submit up to three videos. You may have those three videos on one to three disks.

7. Length Rule - Videos should not be longer than 5 minutes each. Notice I said should. If I get a lot of 7 and 8 minute videos I will enforce this rule with prejudice.

8. Media and File Type Rule – We will now only accept submissions on CD/VCD or DVD. Submissions must be AVI or MPEG files. If you can not output to a CD or DVD for some reason, contact me. If you submit on DVD please do not encode them as a DVD (we will be copying them to another DVD for the audience showing and having to deconstruct them from a DVD is a pain.) I can not emphasize this enough. Do not over compress. Good files are usually big files. Though they can be smaller and still look nice with really nice software and someone who knows what they’re doing. In general, we would rather see big files than small ones. If it’s jaggy in a 3 by 4 window on our monitor we can’t even think about projecting it on a big screen.

9. Ratings Rule - I am not mandating anything related to “ratings” issues anymore. Submit whatever you want. However, by convention policy, we will not show anything with exposed genitalia, clear depictions of sexual acts, or excessive gore. So, if I can’t show your submission it isn’t eligible for the audience favorite award. Once again, I reserve the right to decide what will and will not be shown. I do not have to justify my decision.

10. Disk Return Rule - All submission media will become the property of NDK. I will not be returning CDs or DVDs.

11. Submission Deadline Rule – I will not accept submissions at the convention. Unless you have a really really good reason for being incapable of mailing it and you contact me in advance, weeks in advance….of the submission deadline, not the con. Not having your video finished is not a good reason, unless there are some really spectacular circumstances involved. Once again, contact me in advance of the deadline. The submission deadline is September 1, 2004. That means it’s postmarked by Sept 1st.

12. Contact/Address Rule - Submit all videos to me, at my address, not the con registration address. The submission address is: NDK8 MVC, c/o Wynette Hoffman, 3136 S. Rifle St., Aurora, CO 80013. If you have any questions you can e-mail me at jacawah@comcast.net. We get a lot of mail, so make sure you put NDK8 MVC in the title/subject of your e-mail.

13. Label Rule – With your disk, include a letter with your name (real, not nickname or badge name), address, phone number, e-mail address, whether or not you’re attending the con, and the name of your submission. I also want the name of the source material, both video and music. Please write your name and the name of the submission on the disk, with a “Sharpie” or non-damaging marker. (Remember that if you write on a disk with a pen or pencil the disk is ruined.) Please be specific on the source material, unless you’re using anime from 10 or more different shows, in which case “various” is fine. Don’t assume I’ll recognize the show/movie or song and artist. Write clearly, better yet, type/print up the accompanying letter.

14. Non-attendee Fee Rule - If you are not attending the con please include a $5.00 entry fee. This fee is waived for anyone paying for con admission. We use this money to fabricate Asuka’s and mail them to people who are unable to accept them at the con.

15. Test Rule - This is not so much a rule as a suggestion. Test your file. Look at it with a cynical eye on other computers. If your final file plays like a fifth gen copy with fadeouts, pixelation, jumpiness, excessive sound pops, sound wobbles, or sound on audio tracks only your sound card can hear, with colors only your monitor can see, then don’t submit it. Part of what we judge involves technical ability. If you can’t produce a file that will look good on almost any computer it’s played on, then you fail the technical part of the grading system. See rule #8.

Return to “AMV Contests”