submitting videos

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
schrizo
Org Profile

submitting videos

Post by schrizo » Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:34 pm

OK, how does one go about submitting videos for contests? What are the typical requirements in terms of file type? I've heard that usually you have to tack on something to the start and end of the vid as well, such as just a few seconds of black screen. Do you have to be present to win?

I know I could look at each individual contest and try to find out info for each, but I'm asking for general requirements. I'm considering sending in my next vid if it turns out as planned.

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:26 pm

The only general requirement is that there is no general requirement. Most contests will do things differently, and it really helps to be prepared for whatever you may have to do, from sending in an insane bitrate MPEG2 encode to submitting on Beta. OK, so Beta isn't likely a format you'll have to worry about. But it does really help to be flexible. The means first and foremost: Never delete your 'master copy'. Always keep around (even if that means archiving it to CD/DVD whatever) a copy of your highest quality copy of your video. That way if you want to submit it to a contest that has strange requirements that you don't already have an encode of it for, you can make the best quality copy possible.

In general these days, most cons seem to be moving towards accepting files digitally, either on mailed-in media (CDs,DVDs) or over the internet (FTP) in high-quality MPEG2 format. For a bit of an idea of what I'm talking about, look at the AWA VAT rules website (http://www.awa-con.com/lvat.htm)- it has a fairly good description of the encoding that they want, which is a good starting point. Many places will accept authored (playable in a regular DVD player) DVDs, so if you have a DVD burner, that is always an option. It's also good to have some method of getting your video onto a VHS tape, as there are some conventions that still only take submissions on tape (though they are getting fewer and more distant between).

In short, read up on the contest(s) you want to enter, and go from there. And never delete your master video file!
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

Return to “AMV Contests”