O2K AMV Contest Winners

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Cybermat
Org Profile

O2K AMV Contest Winners

Post by Cybermat » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:25 pm

(Sorry this is going up two weeks after the convention, but recovering after the event and getting caught up at work has eaten up all my free time until now. :( )

OTAKON would like to announce the winners of its 2003 Anime Music Video Contest. The winning entries were determined from ballots cast by the members of Otakon 2003. After viewing the screening of entries, members were asked to vote for their single most-favorite anime music video in each of five categories: Romantic/Sentimental, Dramatic/Serious, Action, Upbeat/Rhythm, and Humorous/Satirical. 501 votes were cast.

This year's contest received entries from 185 unique individuals or groups, a new record for the convention. Entries were screened in a 120-minute contest, and as seven non-competing screening tapes (six general screening tapes and one late-night screening tape). The contest was shown twice at the convention: once Friday night in the 4,500-seat Main Events room (on three screens!) and once Saturday afternoon in the 2000-seat Video Room One. Attendance at both showings was approximately 90% of room capacity.

The general screening tapes were each shown two times during the convention -- on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday mornings in the 800-seat Video Room Four. The late-night screening tape was shown once on Saturday night. A tape of entries that scored highly in the evaluation process but that were not selected as contest finalists was also screened Saturday night in a consolation screening.

The winner in each category receives an Otakon Golden Hiroko-chan trophy, some anime and/or manga booty from the Otakon dealers room, and the warm, fuzzy feeling of a job well done. :)

Winning videos are described in the form of <Optional Title> "Song" by Artist; Anime used; Producer/Director received ## of the votes cast. (Numbers may not add up to the total number of ballots cast because some members did not vote in all categories.)

ROMANTIC/SENTIMENTAL CATEGORY:
(501 votes cast, mean number of votes per entry was 84)

WINNER: "Glory of Love" by Peter Cetera; Anime: Vision of Escaflowne; Maker: Daniel Chang received 151 (30%) of the votes cast.

RUNNER-UP: <Deceptive Passions> "Pretty Girl (The Way)" by Sugarcult; Anime: Fushigi Yuugi; Maker: Meredith "Meri" Cantoni received 136 (27%) of the votes cast.

HONORABLE MENTION: "Desperado" by the Eagles; Anime: Love Hina; Maker: Alex Mirra received 87 (17%) of the votes cast.

SERIOUS/DRAMATIC CATEGORY:
(496 votes cast, mean number of votes per entry was 83)

WINNER: <Searching> "Superman" by Five for Fighting; Anime: Trigun; Maker: Stephen "Grover" Voccola received 130 (26%) of the votes cast.

RUNNERS-UP:

"Mad World" by Gary Jules; Anime: FLCL; Maker: Nightowl Pictures received 89 (18%) of the votes cast.

<Urban Ragnarok part 1> "Twilight" by E.L.O.; Anime: Metropolis; Maker: thefinalact.net received 87 (17%) of the votes cast.

HONORABLE MENTION:

<A Beautiful Failure of a Film> "Airport Song" by Guster; Anime: Shin Seiki Evangelion; Maker: Louis Kratz

ACTION CATEGORY:
(497 votes cast, mean number of votes per entry was 83)

WINNER: <The Need for Speed> "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins / "Top Gun Anthem" by Harold Faltermeyer & Steve Stevens; Anime: Macross Plus, Macross Do You Remember Love, Top Gun Movie; Maker: Skyfire AMV Productions received 162 (33%) of the votes cast.

RUNNER-UP: "Die Another Day" by Madonna; Anime: Noir; Maker: VicBond007 received 153 (31%) of the votes cast.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

"Hindi Sad Diamonds" by Nicole Kidman, John Leguizamo & Alka Ygnih (from the Moulin Rouge OST); Anime: Ah! Megami-sama; Maker: Brad DeMoss

<Variations of D Minor> "The Dark Tower of the Abyss" by Rhapsody; Anime: Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust; Maker: Vancore Studios

UPBEAT/RHYTHM CATEGORY:
(499 votes cast, mean number of votes per entry was 83)

WINNER: <It's Tricky to Make a Music Video> "It's Tricky" by Run D.M.C.; Anime: 69 Various Anime; Maker: Lee Sheng received 232 (47%) of the votes cast.

RUNNER-UP: "Stop The Rock" by Apollo Four Forty; Anime: Various; Maker: Indifferent Productions received 190 (38%) of the votes cast.

HONORABLE MENTION: <Vanilla Vash> "Ice Ice Baby 2001" by Vanilla Ice; Anime: Trigun; Maker: Senta Miller

HUMOROUS/SATIRICAL CATEGORY:
(493 votes cast, mean number of votes per entry was 70)

WINNER: <Lollipops, Sunshine, and rrrRRRrrr> "The Bullet's Breath" by Iniquity; Anime: Card Captor Sakura & Various; Maker: Doki Doki Productions received 281 (57%) of the votes cast.

RUNNER-UP: <We Want YOU!> "In the Navy" by the Village People; Anime: Various; Maker: Vlad G. Pohnert received 77 (16%) of the votes cast.

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

<Hard Knock Anime> "Kannon D-Dur" from the Shin Seiki Evangelion OST / "Hard Knock Life" from the Goldmember OST; Anime: Various; Maker: WESTWARE

<Who Let the 'Fros Out?> "Who Let the Dogs Out? (Eeping Weird Leech Mix)" by the Bahamen; Anime: Moko Moko Afro Ken & Various; Maker: Ashyukun

<Mokushi desu ne, boku genki desu yo> "It's the End of the World As We Know It (and I Feel Fine)" by R.E.M.; Anime: Various; Maker: Tom "the Fish" Guttadauro

All entries not listed here received less than the mean level of votes per entry for that category.

OTAKON would like to thank everyone who participated in the 2003 Anime Music Video Contest. Congratulations to all who submitted entries!

FREQUENTLY-ASKED QUESTIONS:

WHERE CAN I GET A COPY OF THE OTAKON ANIME MUSIC VIDEO CONTEST?

Despite -- and in fact because of -- numerous requests, OTAKON cannot provide copies of the Anime Music Video Contest tape to everyone who'd like to have a copy. While we appreciate the high level of interest this fan activity engenders, we are only human and could not even begin to satisfy the large number of requests for copies desired by general anime fandom. Thank you for your understanding of our position.

[Normally, there'd be big huge lists of the contents of all the AMV tapes we showed at Otakon but that's going up on the Otakon web site soon, so I won't fill up the forum with all that text.]
Otakon 2006 Fan Parody Contact | Otakon AMV Coordinator, 1997-2003

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:20 am

A couple of things worth worth mentioning:

1. This year, the most-voted category was the Romantic/Sentimental, which is unique considering that the Upbeat and Comedy categories are usually the most popular choices.

2. Votes wise, there was a big drop in the number of people who casted their votes at the convention. I wonder what the reason was for that (lack of a Friday afternoon showing?, new ballot design?).

Joe Klemm

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Aug 25, 2003 6:07 pm

TnAdct1 wrote:A couple of things worth worth mentioning:

1. This year, the most-voted category was the Romantic/Sentimental, which is unique considering that the Upbeat and Comedy categories are usually the most popular choices.
You under-estimate the power of having me in the category. :ducks:

I am SO kidding when I say that.

/me hears Vlad coming to smack me down.
TnAdct1 wrote:2. Votes wise, there was a big drop in the number of people who casted their votes at the convention. I wonder what the reason was for that (lack of a Friday afternoon showing?, new ballot design?).

Joe Klemm
I think it's b/c of the Friday afternoon showing like you said. It's hard to keep people up that long through all those videos.

Regardless I had a great time and the contest was amazing.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:02 pm

dwchang wrote:
Hmmm... I see next yeat I'll have to make sure I'm in the same catagory as you... just to keep you down to Earth :wink:

Vlad

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:19 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
dwchang wrote:
Hmmm... I see next yeat I'll have to make sure I'm in the same catagory as you... just to keep you down to Earth :wink:

Vlad
Mental Note: Don't have Vlad on your "beta-testing list."

:-D
-Daniel

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:27 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:Hmmm... I see next yeat I'll have to make sure I'm in the same catagory as you... just to keep you down to Earth :wink:

Vlad
Woohoo! No Vlad in comedy! (OK, so I'm assuming dwchang isn't gonna do a comedy video next year... :P )
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:35 pm

Ashyukun wrote: Woohoo! No Vlad in comedy! (OK, so I'm assuming dwchang isn't gonna do a comedy video next year... :P )
Well... ya never know what catagory I may pop up in next :wink:

Vlad

iserlohn
Org Profile

Post by iserlohn » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:54 pm

Ashyukun wrote:Woohoo! No Vlad in comedy! (OK, so I'm assuming dwchang isn't gonna do a comedy video next year... :P )
I just can't wait to see D-Dubya send in his Lion King video for Comedy.
"I'm recording an album tonight. Funny material and laughter will be dubbed in later."
--Bill Hicks

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:14 pm

iserlohn wrote:
Ashyukun wrote:Woohoo! No Vlad in comedy! (OK, so I'm assuming dwchang isn't gonna do a comedy video next year... :P )
I just can't wait to see D-Dubya send in his Lion King video for Comedy.
Oh hell no. Now your'e saying it.

And I probably won't submit this to Otakon since it'll be done probably by the end of this year.
-Daniel

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:30 am

iserlohn wrote:I just can't wait to see D-Dubya send in his Lion King video for Comedy.
If he does that, I may have to rearrange my plans and enter a different category... It would be entirely too funny to see him win with that video...
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

Return to “AMV Contests”