AX AMV Prelim Results

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Postby Nappy » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:53 pm

Well for one they don't say names till after its done, so your not thinking the whole time. This is a Flux video, or this is a Vlad video. 2nd and more important for many contests is to make it more about the video and not the bumper. So someone with a simple white text on black isn't at a disavantage to someone with flashy titles and bumpers, or 3d effects and such. Everyone gets the same intro.
User avatar
Nappy
 
Joined: 25 Jun 2002
Location: S. CA (helLA) Posts :0

Postby Demonic Worm » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:29 pm

can someone post all the songs used in all the finalist videos? I really enjoyed those songs, some of the best choices i've seen for some times.
Demonic Worm
 
Joined: 07 Jul 2003

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:50 pm

Nappy wrote:Well for one they don't say names till after its done, so your not thinking the whole time. This is a Flux video, or this is a Vlad video. 2nd and more important for many contests is to make it more about the video and not the bumper. So someone with a simple white text on black isn't at a disavantage to someone with flashy titles and bumpers, or 3d effects and such. Everyone gets the same intro.


Good thing too, Otherwise my video would of sucked even more :wink:

Vlad
User avatar
Vlad G Pohnert
 
Joined: 02 Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Postby Ashton » Mon Jul 07, 2003 6:58 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
Nappy wrote:Well for one they don't say names till after its done, so your not thinking the whole time. This is a Flux video, or this is a Vlad video. 2nd and more important for many contests is to make it more about the video and not the bumper. So someone with a simple white text on black isn't at a disavantage to someone with flashy titles and bumpers, or 3d effects and such. Everyone gets the same intro.


Good thing too, Otherwise my video would of sucked even more :wink:

Vlad

I voted for you. :D
The thing you have to realize is that the whole drama category played horribly at AX this year. It was too late at night, and making people watch really moving sentimental pieces doesn't make much sense.
Also, and I especially noticed this because I submited 3 videos to the drama category and they were all rejected, the whole AX crowd really loved lyric synch, even the cheap crappy lyric synch. Center of the Sun was a very good lyric synch based AMV, which really gave it a huge advantage over rhythm based concepts. Oh well, ya' live and ya' learn. :D
Image
The anime Channel Petition Sign it if you like anime.
My member profile on the org.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton
User avatar
Ashton
 
Joined: 23 Jul 2001
Location: Northern California

Postby dwchang » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:16 pm

Ashton wrote:which really gave it a huge advantage over rhythm based concepts. Oh well, ya' live and ya' learn. :D


But Vlad had both Lyric sync AND rhythm based concepts. This is why I like it :). Then again I am a sappy fellow too :). Oh well Vlad, better luck next year. If it's any consolation, I liked it :-P...oops that's no consolation at all :).
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space
User avatar
dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
 
Joined: 04 Mar 2002
Location: Madison, WI

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:22 pm

Ashton wrote:I voted for you. :D
The thing you have to realize is that the whole drama category played horribly at AX this year. It was too late at night, and making people watch really moving sentimental pieces doesn't make much sense.
Also, and I especially noticed this because I submited 3 videos to the drama category and they were all rejected, the whole AX crowd really loved lyric synch, even the cheap crappy lyric synch. Center of the Sun was a very good lyric synch based AMV, which really gave it a huge advantage over rhythm based concepts. Oh well, ya' live and ya' learn. :D


Thanks...

Quite honestly, I don't really try to do things in my video to play to a crowed. If Lip syncing is required then fine, but I try to make the video to the vision I think works for it...

Vlad
User avatar
Vlad G Pohnert
 
Joined: 02 Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Postby Nappy » Mon Jul 07, 2003 7:39 pm

Ashton wrote:
Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
Nappy wrote:Well for one they don't say names till after its done, so your not thinking the whole time. This is a Flux video, or this is a Vlad video. 2nd and more important for many contests is to make it more about the video and not the bumper. So someone with a simple white text on black isn't at a disavantage to someone with flashy titles and bumpers, or 3d effects and such. Everyone gets the same intro.


Good thing too, Otherwise my video would of sucked even more :wink:

Vlad

I voted for you. :D
The thing you have to realize is that the whole drama category played horribly at AX this year. It was too late at night, and making people watch really moving sentimental pieces doesn't make much sense.
Also, and I especially noticed this because I submited 3 videos to the drama category and they were all rejected, the whole AX crowd really loved lyric synch, even the cheap crappy lyric synch. Center of the Sun was a very good lyric synch based AMV, which really gave it a huge advantage over rhythm based concepts. Oh well, ya' live and ya' learn. :D


Your a ANTI-LYRIT O_O!

Center of the Sun was just really pretty and flowed really well, I think thats why it won not lyric sync :l
User avatar
Nappy
 
Joined: 25 Jun 2002
Location: S. CA (helLA) Posts :0

Postby Fluxmeister » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:04 pm

Nappy wrote:
I don't have the votes, and I'm told the stats will be available, but I really think your Eternal Damnation came close in action. My roomie loves it @_@

P.S. They had to cut the first few seconds of ur vid since u incorperated ur name in it. And those were cool seconds o_o


I actually cut those out myself. I don't want to anger the amv gods by breaking rules. :P I sense a lot of retina's being burnt with hellsing imagery... muhahaha.

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:Thanks...

Quite honestly, I don't really try to do things in my video to play to a crowed. If Lip syncing is required then fine, but I try to make the video to the vision I think works for it...

Vlad


So Vlad, it's all about the love of editing right? (Or are you collecting trophies to melt down to create a super laser? :P)

:D

/lives to edit
I have sinned. I made a video I wanted to make that was music + anime + sync + action + effects/transitions. Oh lordy. :roll:
NHMK Anime Reviews
User avatar
Fluxmeister
 
Joined: 07 Feb 2001
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:26 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:Thanks...

Quite honestly, I don't really try to do things in my video to play to a crowed. If Lip syncing is required then fine, but I try to make the video to the vision I think works for it...

Vlad


So Vlad, it's all about the love of editing right? (Or are you collecting trophies to melt down to create a super laser? :P)

:D

/lives to edit[/quote]

Yeeeaaaa....that must be it. Quite honestly, I'm just happy to have my videos played to such huge crowds...

Vlad
User avatar
Vlad G Pohnert
 
Joined: 02 Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Postby Fluxmeister » Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:47 pm

Nothing beats a captive audience for 7 1/2 minutes of kite. :D

(i like to bring this up : P)
I have sinned. I made a video I wanted to make that was music + anime + sync + action + effects/transitions. Oh lordy. :roll:
NHMK Anime Reviews
User avatar
Fluxmeister
 
Joined: 07 Feb 2001
Location: Seattle, WA

Postby Pwolf » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:13 am

Hey flux, after seeing your video i was pretty sure i wasn't going to win. great video. This was a great contest IMO. lots of great videos.



Pwolf
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
User avatar
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
 
Joined: 03 May 2001
Location: Some where in California, I forgot :\

Postby XStylus » Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:32 am

Nappy wrote:P.S. They had to cut the first few seconds of ur vid since u incorperated ur name in it. And those were cool seconds o_o


Are you talking about Eternal Damnation? I made the contest DVDs that the competition played off of and I don't recall truncating any part of anybody's video. (Rechecking E.D.) Yup, Eternal Damnation played in its entirety based upon the source footage I was given. There's even 2 seconds of black lead-in.

I did want to truncate the end of "Chibi Things That Kill" and the start of "In the Mind Of a Hinata Inn Manager" because I felt they weren't really part of the music video as defined in the rules, but James said not to so I didn't.

Ashton wrote:This really confused me. They have a thing about not disclosing the names of the editors, and that's a good thing, but why, then, did they bring the editors on stage after their video was played?


The creators would get pissy if their names weren't mentioned at -some- point. ^_^

It's generally pretty safe to mention them after the video, it's before the video when its the most volatile. They aren't mentioned at the start because, if you think about it, knowing who did it can somewhat influence your opinion of a video before you even watch it.

Getting back to that bit about me making the contest DVDs...: Just to give you a heads up, I'm not on the AMV staff. I am on AX staff, but I have zero influence over the AMV competition (James went to great lengths to ensure that, in fact). I simply offered to make the contest DVDs as a favor to take some work off of James' overworked hands. Also, my comments are my own and at no point do my comments ever represent AX.
User avatar
XStylus
 
Joined: 22 Aug 2001
Location: A quaint little village.
Status: Enjoying the salty air.

Postby XStylus » Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:42 am

Ashton wrote:The thing you have to realize is that the whole drama category played horribly at AX this year. It was too late at night, and making people watch really moving sentimental pieces doesn't make much sense.


The Drama category played first. Doesn't get much sooner than that. Yeah, the contest was late by two hours, but the contest runs late all the time, even when it starts ON time (hope that makes sense...) ^_^

Also, and I especially noticed this because I submited 3 videos to the drama category and they were all rejected, the whole AX crowd really loved lyric synch, even the cheap crappy lyric synch. Center of the Sun was a very good lyric synch based AMV, which really gave it a huge advantage over rhythm based concepts. Oh well, ya' live and ya' learn. :D


I have to disagree with you. In Center of the Sun I can only remember one scene which had anything that even resembled lip synch, and the scene I'm speaking of didn't even -intend- for it to have lip synch.

The scene I'm speaking of where the lyrics go "They say the most horrible things" and the guy's lips are moving. The creator's intent wasn't to lip synch, it was to depict someone saying 'horrible' things.
User avatar
XStylus
 
Joined: 22 Aug 2001
Location: A quaint little village.
Status: Enjoying the salty air.

Postby dokidoki » Tue Jul 08, 2003 10:22 am

xstylus wrote:
the whole AX crowd really loved lyric synch, even the cheap crappy lyric synch. Center of the Sun was a very good lyric synch based AMV, which really gave it a huge advantage over rhythm based concepts.

I have to disagree with you. In Center of the Sun I can only remember one scene which had anything that even resembled lip synch, and the scene I'm speaking of didn't even -intend- for it to have lip synch.

He never said lip synch. He said lyric synch.
ie: matching visuals to lyrics, as opposed to ignoring them as some videos do.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki
Free games! (some left) // "Anybody want a pizza roll?"
User avatar
dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
 
Joined: 19 Dec 2000
Location: doki doki space
Status: BLEEP BLOOP!

Postby Nappy » Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:53 pm

xstylus wrote:Are you talking about Eternal Damnation? I made the contest DVDs that the competition played off of and I don't recall truncating any part of anybody's video. (Rechecking E.D.) Yup, Eternal Damnation played in its entirety based upon the source footage I was given. There's even 2 seconds of black lead-in.


Ya Fluxy just said he did it himself
User avatar
Nappy
 
Joined: 25 Jun 2002
Location: S. CA (helLA) Posts :0

PreviousNext

Return to AMV Contests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests