Otakon 2003: Sizing up the Competition...

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:42 pm

Cybermat wrote:Same situation for the plagarism issue.
Yeah, and considering who has to prep all these entries, it seems even less likely that someone would get away with passing someone else's work off as their own...

...Actually, there's a funny tidbit about plagarism on Quu's LiveJournal :)

OtakuForLife
Org Profile

Post by OtakuForLife » Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:51 pm

Sorry, it's off topic... I just sent out my blank tapes for the Prescreening by express mail and for the mail-back I used proiety mail. Will I still be able to work as a prescreener? Ether way I figured I'd give Matt a heads up on it before they got there.

-aida

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:13 pm

trythil wrote:
Cybermat wrote:Same situation for the plagarism issue.
Yeah, and considering who has to prep all these entries, it seems even less likely that someone would get away with passing someone else's work off as their own...

...Actually, there's a funny tidbit about plagarism on Quu's LiveJournal :)
Well to clear things up a bit, I am refering to the "Leaves of Happaness" video by Newlight Productions.
I have not even seen the thing so I don't knwo how good it is or whatever, but they have already won 3 awards or something. And I just don't think it fair to everyone who has yet to win anything.
Even Doki Doki And Vlad deserve the chance since they have yet to win anything, even thought we all know one of them will probibly win (face it they ARE that damn good)
John Westbrook
Otakon, Fan Parody Dept. Head

BaHaRa
Org Profile

Post by BaHaRa » Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:38 pm

hackerzc wrote: Well to clear things up a bit, I am refering to the "Leaves of Happaness" video by Newlight Productions.
I have not even seen the thing so I don't knwo how good it is or whatever, but they have already won 3 awards or something. And I just don't think it fair to everyone who has yet to win anything.
Even Doki Doki And Vlad deserve the chance since they have yet to win anything, even thought we all know one of them will probibly win (face it they ARE that damn good)

and for those who dont understand the current situation...check the portconmaine thread

(just so people dont think im evil or something)

-barry

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:24 pm

Cybermat wrote:Even if I miss something, thanks to the Internet it's pretty likely that another Otakon staffer or one of the AMV submitters will know about it and will mention it to me pretty quickly. Same situation for the plagarism issue.
Yeah that's what I thought with the internet and con reports. Just wanted to make sure since well...I hate to be brutally honest, but I've seen a lot of trolling during this summer.

We do appreciate all this work btw :).
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Jun 18, 2003 5:27 pm

hackerzc wrote:Even Doki Doki And Vlad deserve the chance since they have yet to win anything, even thought we all know one of them will probibly win (face it they ARE that damn good)
I don't mean to be an ass, but I don't think it's wise to say that they "probably" will win or something. They are both very talented editors (and good friends), but it's not good to "typecast" someone to a particular genre or to winning prizes at cons. I know that this happened often with a certain legendary editor and that it pissed everyone else off.

Also, I know that sometimes the editor themselves don't like those types of comments since it generalizes them. Like I said, they're good, but not Gods like some people think.
-Daniel

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:30 pm

dwchang wrote:
hackerzc wrote:Even Doki Doki And Vlad deserve the chance since they have yet to win anything, even thought we all know one of them will probibly win (face it they ARE that damn good)
I don't mean to be an ass, but I don't think it's wise to say that they "probably" will win or something. They are both very talented editors (and good friends), but it's not good to "typecast" someone to a particular genre or to winning prizes at cons. I know that this happened often with a certain legendary editor and that it pissed everyone else off.

Also, I know that sometimes the editor themselves don't like those types of comments since it generalizes them. Like I said, they're good, but not Gods like some people think.
I'm not type casting at all. Both Vlad and Tim made comedy videos this year and both are great. The point I was trying to make is that even guys as good as them, who would need no help beating said Yatta vid (not to say the Yatta vid coulden't win as I have yet to see it) have the right to go up against videos that have not won any awards yet.
As for my view about Vlad or Tim winning comedy, that is my personal opinion. To be perfectly honest I think it is between Vlad, Tim, Ashyukun, and this one other vid I saw and don't remember who made it.
I entered upbeat, but will most likely be changed to comedy myself, so I have already excepted the fact that even if I happen to get in the contest (which I am serioiusly doubting now) I will in no way win, so I might as well take a guess at who will. :P

No ther are not gods, but they know a hell of a lot more then I do, so I look up to them. And since everyone knows who they are they make EXCELENT example for making a point. :D
John Westbrook

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:32 pm

dwchang wrote:

I'm not type casting at all. Both Vlad and Tim made comedy videos this year and both are great. The point I was trying to make is that even guys as good as them, who would need no help beating said Yatta vid (not to say the Yatta vid coulden't win as I have yet to see it) have the right to go up against videos that have not won any awards yet.
As for my view about Vlad or Tim winning comedy, that is my personal opinion. To be perfectly honest I think it is between Vlad, Tim, Ashyukun, and this one other vid I saw and don't remember who made it.
I entered upbeat, but will most likely be changed to comedy myself, so I have already excepted the fact that even if I happen to get in the contest (which I am serioiusly doubting now) I will in no way win, so I might as well take a guess at who will. :P

No they are not gods, but they know a hell of a lot more then I do, so I look up to them. And since everyone knows who they are they make EXCELENT example for making a point. :D
John Westbrook

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:58 pm

hackerzc wrote:I'm not type casting at all. Both Vlad and Tim made comedy videos this year and both are great. The point I was trying to make is that even guys as good as them, who would need no help beating said Yatta vid (not to say the Yatta vid coulden't win as I have yet to see it) have the right to go up against videos that have not won any awards yet.

No ther are not gods, but they know a hell of a lot more then I do, so I look up to them. And since everyone knows who they are they make EXCELENT example for making a point. :D
Basically what I was getting at is that I know a number of 'big name' creators who don't like being called "Gods" and whatnot or expected to win at something. Worse is when people won't even enter a category because of them.

I have see Tim's video as well as Ashyukun's and yeah both of them are great. However, it sounds bad when people are already predicting winners and whatnot. Rude to the other people who entered.

Either way, yeah I believe both of them definitely deserve to compete. It's just that some of them are my friends, this is why I am voicing this. Not to attack you or anything just in case you thought that.
-Daniel

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:46 pm

dwchang wrote:
hackerzc wrote:I'm not type casting at all. Both Vlad and Tim made comedy videos this year and both are great. The point I was trying to make is that even guys as good as them, who would need no help beating said Yatta vid (not to say the Yatta vid coulden't win as I have yet to see it) have the right to go up against videos that have not won any awards yet.

Basically what I was getting at is that I know a number of 'big name' creators who don't like being called "Gods" and whatnot or expected to win at something. Worse is when people won't even enter a category because of them.

I have see Tim's video as well as Ashyukun's and yeah both of them are great. However, it sounds bad when people are already predicting winners and whatnot. Rude to the other people who entered.

Either way, yeah I believe both of them definitely deserve to compete. It's just that some of them are my friends, this is why I am voicing this. Not to attack you or anything just in case you thought that.
I'm done

SO......Action you say? That interesting.
John Westbrook

Return to “AMV Contests”