Fanime 2003 new AMV coordinator wants input

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Mon Aug 05, 2002 4:17 pm

BigName wrote:A music video is a music video is a music is a music video,
Not exactly.

BigName wrote:I thought AMV's were legal since they promote the anime and the artist who's song is featured...
That doesn't make them legal, in fact the RIAA has prosecuted people for lesser things. The anime industry enjoys the publicity, but turns a blind eye because it's not exactly a legal practice.
"If someone feels the need to 'express' himself or herself with a huge graphical 'singature' that has nothing to do with anything, that person should reevaluate his or her reasons for needing said form of expression, possibly with the help of a licensed mental health practitioner."

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:47 pm

CArnesen wrote:Another thing that I was thinking about was having various judges from a-m-v.org judging the various categories and having them mail me the judging results.

This would allow more participation from around the AMV community and possibly allow for more feedback to the individual AMV creators (through the judging forms).
You might want to contact Quu (AWA), Matt (Otakon), or Duane (Otakon) before doing something like this. Compiling AMVs and then mailing out tapes is a lot of work, but they have the experience.

ErMaC
The Man who puts the "E" in READFAG
Org Profile

Post by ErMaC » Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:30 am

Response to some comments:

I'll leave the jury out on what kinda voting method to use in the finals, but I do want to say that an initial screening is just oh so important to avoid the, as someone put it, walk-out-of-the-room videos. While it may suck for the person getting not shown, this is a convention contest and thus is for the entertainment of the fans in the auditorium during the showing, and making 1/2 of them want to leave isn't a good thing.

As for prizes, I would say that the best prize I got was the little crystal trophy thing from AX, followed VERY closely by the cool clapboard given out by SakuraCon for my SC2000 win. They both were very cool, and I think that more than DVDs or what not is what I would want if I won another contest. I'm not in it for the monetary compensation when I enter to a contests, so DVDs or DVD players aren't really important to me. BTW, I'll bet you lots of creators already have DVD players, and region free ones, too. It's like giving a free paint brush to someone winning an art contest.

Contact Quu if you want the authority on the technical side of running a contest, but I'll say that the effort of dealing with digital submissions is not something I would recommend undertaking.

ericb35
Org Profile

fanime amv suggestions

Post by ericb35 » Thu Aug 08, 2002 6:40 am

just a couple of quick suggests ...

maybe an room for overflow videos. i think awa or some other con is doing this, not sure. but it seems that amvs are becoming more and more popular and more and more people are spending more and more time on them and there just isn't enough time. a room showing videos 24/7 (well it doesn't have to be 24/7) should give everyone who worked hard on a video some exposure. have a schedule up that shows when a video will be played in the room.

i thought the amv contest at fanime was fine ... until i read all the posts here. if you were a regular auidence member, it seemed like it ran smoothly.

Tuplica
Org Profile

Post by Tuplica » Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:19 pm

prizes ain't an issue for me, i really wouldn't care either way.... i'd love the recognition, but i make music videos for mesa before anybody elsa, ya got mesa! hohoho!

but, on a side note, i don't blame ya, eji. there are other cons that do that, if you're interested.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:30 pm

8 month necropost!
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

wwf_htm
Org Profile

Re: Audience Judging

Post by wwf_htm » Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:06 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
It only works with a smallar crowd. I know that in the past few years (2001 & 2000) some of the screams maxed the meter and the videos won only beacuse they held the sound meter at max longer. This is kind of not very fair or a good method. Secondly, if you make a video that is a crowed favorate (popular song - footage, etc), it will always win on initial reaction. A very popular video editor may also have a slight edge.

Atleast with a ballot system, you have some time to think about it and it's not based on how loud you can scream and you don't know everyone's vote so it helps to give a more honest opinion.

I feel the sound meter is fine for a catagory like "fan's Favorate", etc bit it's sould not be ment to deterime all the winners....

Yes, It's exiting for sure when 3000+ people to clap and scream at your video (something that was missing this year do to the screw up), but a bad overall judging system if you ask me.

Vlad
I went to AX last year and I'd swear that the video that combined Cowboy Bebop and Dragonballz was getting more of a reaction that the video that actually won the comedy award. The way the announcer decided which video was the winner told me 2 things - the announcer decided that there is no way a Dragonballz video should win top honors at AX and/or he decided to let the guy that was going to coordinate the contest next year win. Having a ballot system would remove all doubt that the video that won was what most people wanted to win. Now I'm not trying to diss the video that actually won. I liked it a lot. However, I also think that the way it won was a little shady and that any doubt would have been eliminated had the judging system been better.

HTM

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Re: Audience Judging

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:20 am

wwf_htm wrote: I went to AX last year and I'd swear that the video that combined Cowboy Bebop and Dragonballz was getting more of a reaction that the video that actually won the comedy award. The way the announcer decided which video was the winner told me 2 things - the announcer decided that there is no way a Dragonballz video should win top honors at AX and/or he decided to let the guy that was going to coordinate the contest next year win. Having a ballot system would remove all doubt that the video that won was what most people wanted to win. Now I'm not trying to diss the video that actually won. I liked it a lot. However, I also think that the way it won was a little shady and that any doubt would have been eliminated had the judging system been better.

HTM
The problem with a sound meter that only one was used in particular location. Hence, depending on where you're sitting, it may seem like a particular video has more "noice" from the audiance when in fact it dosn't as far as the meter picks up. Generally, I doubt that just because it was a DBZ video that the coordinator would not allow it to win... A Ballot system eliminates this particular problem.

Vlad

Tom the Fish
Org Profile

Post by Tom the Fish » Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:31 pm

Do as Ushicon did and just have a showcase.

Tom

TROAL
Org Profile

Post by TROAL » Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:03 pm

I just entered the Fanime 2003 contest. Hehe, first time I have entered a contest, but I have atteneded several. Noise-meters are lame. Points:

1) People sitting closer to the pickups have a "louder" voice than the rest of the audience, and so the reactions are biased by who is sttting/standing where.

2) Some people will scream for anything. It could be the worst, god-awful Dragonball Z video ever concieved, but if the room is full of DBZ fans, it would get a high score.

3) Audience acclaim is a poor indication of certain categories like "Best Editing, Best Choice of Music, or Most Original". The average fan is not an AMV maker, just an AMV watcher, so categories like this are better left to a panel of savvy judges.

I apologize if this is a repeat of previous comments. Just wanted to add my two cents.
Jason Bustard
TROAL productions
Contributing Reviewer, T.H.E.M. Anime Reviews
www.themanime.org

Return to “AMV Contests”