Fanime 2003 new AMV coordinator wants input

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Thu Aug 01, 2002 12:47 pm

um.... if you want an amv cordinator can email me privatly..

i might be able to help... depending ona lot of factors

I has alot of experiance on the technical side of an AMV contest.... and really like to help...

I have recently gotten things back in order... so am open to help people again
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

Senta
Org Profile

Post by Senta » Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:46 pm

For Otakon 2001, my prize was a tape of "Dog Soldier". The artwork looks so bad that I haven't taken it out of the shrinkwrap.

As far as prizes go, I usually see random stuff from the dealer's room, ie. dvds, shirts, etc, being given. For the most part, I could care less since I and hopefully most creators don't make videos in the hopes of winning a prize. Small random stuff, trophies, or plaques sound appropriate to me.
But really nice prizes like dvd players or dvd burners seem excessive and could lead to creators caring too much about what wins. There's already enough bickering about contests.

Dog Soldier with Star Tekkin? Hmmm, I like it.

Art Smoke
Org Profile

Audience Judging

Post by Art Smoke » Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:56 pm

Having the audience judge the most popular videos by applause, rather than by written vote, has it's merits. First of all, it is exciting as heck, both for the audience, and the creators. It is also fast and simple, you don't have to burden some poor soul with counting ballots, and everyone knows the results immediately. However, I would suggest that the decibel meter be placed at stage center, or better yet, at the rear of the stage. That will prevent people with small but loud support groups from having an unfair effect on the results, especially if they happen to be seated at the front. Also, run a small clip of each video before each vote in order to remind the audience of the work; this was not done at AX2002, and I think some fine videos paid the price.
Artcello

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Re: Audience Judging

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:08 am

Art Smoke wrote:Having the audience judge the most popular videos by applause, rather than by written vote, has it's merits. First of all, it is exciting as heck, both for the audience, and the creators. It is also fast and simple, you don't have to burden some poor soul with counting ballots, and everyone knows the results immediately.
It only works with a smallar crowd. I know that in the past few years (2001 & 2000) some of the screams maxed the meter and the videos won only beacuse they held the sound meter at max longer. This is kind of not very fair or a good method. Secondly, if you make a video that is a crowed favorate (popular song - footage, etc), it will always win on initial reaction. A very popular video editor may also have a slight edge.

Atleast with a ballot system, you have some time to think about it and it's not based on how loud you can scream and you don't know everyone's vote so it helps to give a more honest opinion.

I feel the sound meter is fine for a catagory like "fan's Favorate", etc bit it's sould not be ment to deterime all the winners....

Yes, It's exiting for sure when 3000+ people to clap and scream at your video (something that was missing this year do to the screw up), but a bad overall judging system if you ask me.

Vlad

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:00 am

Just a few n00b comments here.

The contest vets, ie: ErMaC, AbsolutDestiny,CastorTroy know what they're talking about, pleas listen to them.

My own thoughts:
I would greatly prefer some sort of Trophy, Plaque, or Certificate declaiming a win to some halfass prize from the dealer room. However, a gift certificate from an online anime vendor would be an awesome prize, and of course any special awards from corporate guests, like ADV or ADOBE (maybe their own choice?) would be awesome.
(can you say free Premiere 6.5 upgrade, anyone?) or a free DVD and Tshirt from ADV, with a faux calligraphic, computer-printed award? Awesome!

Judging: applause meters kinda suck, but I have no good alternative to offer the larger cons. I liked the ballot at SakuraCon, but if the room had been much bigger, it couldn't have worked.

Last point: it looked to me like there was no entrance standard at all for the SakuraCon 2k2 AMV contest, other than the entries could be somehow played. Is that correct, or was there any screening done?
(There were awesome vids, and leave-the-room ones in the same contest)

Ok, the know-nothing n00b is done suggesting. :roll:
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Fri Aug 02, 2002 2:16 am

CArnesen wrote:Well, I guess I should introduce myself now... I'm Chris Arnesen and I'm the new AMV/Original Animation Contest Coordinator for Sakura Con 2003!
Eric gave up? Guess I'm not surprised; it's a tough job which he handled quite well. Hope he goes back to AMV editing and enters next year's contest.

I agree with Senta about expensive prizes. Most entrants won't mind, but there are always some who can't handle the added pressure.

As a winner at Sakura Con 2001, I received a clapboard that was signed by the GoH's. Those character signatures by Hayashi and the others are worth more to me than a DVD player would be. Doesn't have to be a clapboard, either. If they'd just draw something on a dirty envelope, I'd frame it and hang it.

BTW, I don't think an applause meter is going to work very well in that "tube" of a room that this year's AMV contest was held in.

AMVUserII
Org Profile

Post by AMVUserII » Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:05 am

Hey take example from whats already been done well.

Contact Anime Weekened Atlanta - www.awa.com

Their AMV Contest is one of the best orgnized if not the Best

And many AMV Creators hold that contest in high regards cause its not just one contest.....

Its Divided in to four smaller ones

-Dance
-Exposition
-Professional
-Masters

Go to their site and read up on these contests and how they do stuff and try and e-mail the AMv Contest coordinator get the answeres you want from people who do this really well.

-My 2 cents
-"We are the Next Generation in Anime Music Videos. We are Next Generation Films Inc."
-"Some ideas may be over used but Damnit! Some deserve to be done Right!"
-Next Generation Films Inc. (NGF)

Melfina
Org Profile

Post by Melfina » Fri Aug 02, 2002 9:57 am

anime + beer and im there....its quite simple they mix, and mix well
Forum Nublar
Webmaster and founder of

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:04 am

Melfina wrote:anime + beer and im there....its quite simple they mix, and mix well
Not really. I put a DVD in a big mug and poured some beer on it and it just got all sticky and wouldn't play anymore. Well, maybe next time I'll wipe the beer off before I stick it in the player. :lol:
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:05 am

I hear sprite and vodka work better :D

Return to “AMV Contests”