AWA Professional Awards 2017 Category Selection

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
jingoro
Org Profile

AWA Professional Awards 2017 Category Selection

Post by jingoro » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:25 pm

As discussed in other threads and at closing ceremonies, The Video Art Track at Anime Weekend Atlanta is adopting advance category selection. Your input is important to us... use this thread to discuss potential categories to be explicitly included in the 2017 rules.

Each proposed category must have, by the time it is formally adopted:
  • A short name that clearly identifies the artistic or technical merit being recognized, suitable for engraving on our chosen trophies.
  • A one paragraph (multiple sentences) description defining the artistic or technical merit behind the award clearly, explaining what distinguishes this award, and otherwise giving both editors and judges clear guidelines for deciding what sort of videos fall into this category.
  • A non-derogatory name, that does not denigrate nor insult nominees.
  • Generally, category names begin with the word "Best". Exceptions, while possible, must be clearly justified by those proposing and supporting such categories. Grammatical arguments and references to actual publishing style guides garner bonus points, as do references to actual film or media awards outside the realm of fan conventions.
The following categories are considered "standard", but may need a good description written for each: Best Video, Best Action, Best Comedy, Best Drama, Best Horror, Best Romance. This does not mean these categories need be awarded every year. This will be subject to further refinement of the official rules.

The following categories have been soundly rejected in past years: Most Fun (try "Best Upbeat" instead), Best Mood (try "Best Artistic Endeavour" instead), Best Yaoi and Best Yuri (Subject matter awards are generally rejected, you won't see "Best Ping Pong" or "Best Video About Swimming" either. The Derpy Hooves Award for Equestrian Excellence is a notable exception, but it's too long to fit on our current trophies anyway.). They may be discussed again, but the director's opinions on them are pretty firm. Awards are purchased and awarded by The Video Art Track at Anime Weekend Atlanta, and the decisions of VAT and AWA staff on such matters will be final. Your opinions are important, however, and will be respected and considered carefully.

This thread will remain open until sometime in December. Final rules which incorporate categories based on the discussion here should be posted in January, giving editors ample time to plan accordingly. Please encourage other editors to join this thread, you do not have to attend AWA, nor participate in The Professional Awards to join in this discussion.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: AWA Professional Awards 2017 Category Selection

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Best/Strongest Theme

-This is an artistic award, not technical. It goes to the video whose audio and video choice portray the strongest connection to each other, through lyrics and sound. The entry whose video and audio combination makes the most sense-

Examples from this year would be: 063 The Joke that Killed, 065 Dissonance, 072 Paranoia Things, 079 Manly Manly Men and 080 Pale Mare

Or is that just Best Artistic Merit? Cuz i never really understood what that meant and always voted for the one that was most original or offbeat.

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:31 pm

First, I'm going to chime in early and often. I don't want to come off as having "complaints"... I have my own perspectives and my concerns as a contest runner... and I should not be immune to debate... I don't want to shut things down because "the director hath spoken". Please, as you read the following try to understand that I'm looking at the entire history of all our events at AWA, and trying to consider both making an exciting awards show for our attendees, thereby getting y'all the audience reactions you love to hear. Then, when you've thought of that... feel free to pick my logic apart... I'm just one voice in this discussion.

Best Artistic Endeavour has tended to be our "abstract art" category... it is rather difficult to describe, but everyone seems to know what goes there when the time comes around.

Best Theme sounds to me like "Best Song Match"... where it's as if the song were written just for this specific anime. It's not a very complimentary award, in my opinion... we've avoided it like the plague in Expo... it's complimenting someone's song selection and little else. The execution might be lousy, but hey, the theme... underlying idea?... was great!

The next problem I have with it is every single video qualifies for this award. If you came up with an idea (theme?) and made a video... hozzah! You're eligible for this award! You might not win... but how are nominees to be culled... if a video has a strong theme, why isn't it going into drama/comedy/horror/romance/action? How is this different from Best Video... best video without any technical consideration?

If you're looking for the inverse or compliment of "Best Technical", I think you're looking for "Best Artistic Endeavour". I think it would be very easy for this to be a +1 award... whatever wins this has a high likelihood of winning another award. I know y'all love glass, but as a contest organizer, I do appreciate structuring the contest such that it's less likely one video can claim more than one award (best video excepted). This leads to more videos getting shown, more editors receiving just recognition, and an audience seeing more variety.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:08 pm

jingoro wrote:Best Artistic Endeavour has tended to be our "abstract art" category... it is rather difficult to describe, but everyone seems to know what goes there when the time comes around.
So it's the "I can't describe it but I know it when I see it" category...
Best Theme sounds to me like "Best Song Match"... where it's as if the song were written just for this specific anime. It's not a very complimentary award, in my opinion... we've avoided it like the plague in Expo... it's complimenting someone's song selection and little else. The execution might be lousy, but hey, the theme... underlying idea?... was great!
I disagree. I favor theme over execution most of the time. Half of the work is coming up with a clever idea and that's not something you can teach. Editing skill is something that can improve over time. Being able to develop concrete ideas is something I strive for. In my (serious) list of reviews I was very clear about videos I felt had a strong theme compared to the weak ones because it deserves recognition imo. Now obviously, if the execution is poor then the theme will likely not come across strongly.
The next problem I have with it is every single video qualifies for this award. If you came up with an idea (theme?) and made a video... hozzah! You're eligible for this award! You might not win... but how are nominees to be culled... if a video has a strong theme, why isn't it going into drama/comedy/horror/romance/action? How is this different from Best Video... best video without any technical consideration?
By that logic every video qualifies for Best Technical as well. How does Best Technical differ from Best Video... best video without any artistic endeavor? A video can have a very strong theme without having a clear category it falls into. That's what I like about VAT, it's open to everything. It's only when we define categories do we try to put everything in a box. And videos that refuse to be contained get overlooked. You're right, every single video would qualify. That's the point.
If you're looking for the inverse or compliment of "Best Technical", I think you're looking for "Best Artistic Endeavour". I think it would be very easy for this to be a +1 award... whatever wins this has a high likelihood of winning another award. I know y'all love glass, but as a contest organizer, I do appreciate structuring the contest such that it's less likely one video can claim more than one award (best video excepted). This leads to more videos getting shown, more editors receiving just recognition, and an audience seeing more variety.
Since I'm not clear on what Artistic Endeavor means I'd suggest having one or the other. But on how I describe what theme means, I'll be voting for that video in the category from now on.

It's possible that this category makes sense to only me. If it's too confusing for other people then yes it would be a hindrance.

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:31 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
Jingoro wrote:Best Theme sounds to me like "Best Song Match"... where it's as if the song were written just for this specific anime. It's not a very complimentary award, in my opinion... we've avoided it like the plague in Expo... it's complimenting someone's song selection and little else. The execution might be lousy, but hey, the theme... underlying idea?... was great!
I disagree. I favor theme over execution most of the time. Half of the work is coming up with a clever idea and that's not something you can teach. Editing skill is something that can improve over time. Being able to develop concrete ideas is something I strive for. In my (serious) list of reviews I was very clear about videos I felt had a strong theme compared to the weak ones because it deserves recognition imo. Now obviously, if the execution is poor then the theme will likely not come across strongly.
Actually, that's a pretty good point... I'm going to let it stew and see who else wants to comment on this facet.
Rider4Z wrote:
Jingoro wrote:The next problem I have with it is every single video qualifies for this award. If you came up with an idea (theme?) and made a video... hozzah! You're eligible for this award! You might not win... but how are nominees to be culled... if a video has a strong theme, why isn't it going into drama/comedy/horror/romance/action? How is this different from Best Video... best video without any technical consideration?
By that logic every video qualifies for Best Technical as well. How does Best Technical differ from Best Video... best video without any artistic endeavor?
*laughs* Yes, I thought of exactly that as I typed that. I cannot disagree with what you've said here.
Rider4Z wrote:A video can have a very strong theme without having a clear category it falls into. That's what I like about VAT, it's open to everything. It's only when we define categories do we try to put everything in a box. And videos that refuse to be contained get overlooked. You're right, every single video would qualify. That's the point.
A category everything qualifies for is next to impossible for me to administer. Nominations would, by your own admission, include every single video, meaning I get a 70-way tie to break. That's just not going to work. Any category everything qualifies for could just be called the "Best Participation"... nope, that's a non-starter with me.
Rider4Z wrote:It's possible that this category makes sense to only me. If it's too confusing for other people then yes it would be a hindrance.
I think I'm understanding where you're going. I too think that coming up with a good idea is a skill. I disagree when you say it can't be taught, and I think most film schools (particularly those with writing programs) would disagree too. I just don't think that just coming up with an idea is something to applaud. The world is full of good ideas nobody bothers to put the work into. Now, simply completing a video is a fair bit of work... but even as I say that my brain is going "best participation" again. I know that's not what you're after... Again I'm going to let a few more comments knock this idea about a bit more... it may have potential if we can focus it somehow.

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:33 pm

Also, this may be an award where "best" doesn't work. "Best Theme"? Why is theme x better than theme y? Perhaps "Strongest Theme" might be the way to go.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:40 pm

I'm with Rider4Z and it's why I storyboard, and why I still think of my AMVs the way Quu and I described them in the late 90s over IRC: visual fanfiction. I have something I deeply want to communicate with my AMVs, and that is either a skill or a talent, depending on who you ask, and it is a further skill to translate that into editing which successfully communicates your message about a character, a series, a group of either, social commentary, etc. I just don't get that thrill, that emotional jolt I suppose, from videos which have awesome technical execution but say nothing to me about my life (to quote The Smiths).

But it sounds like we need to combine both:

Best Execution of Theme, something like that?
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:47 pm

I perplexed... if your theme communicates something, why isn't it up for a more traditional award? The examples Rider4Z cited clearly fell under other banners besides this one. I could redefine all the other awards as "Best Execution of a Comedic Theme" or "Best Execution of a Character Profile Theme", and so on.

--

Oh, and I've often steered "Best Mood" supporters to Best Artistic Endeavour instead, where the video is felt more than understood. My failure to define what that means is because the best Best Artistic E videos, to me, can't be intellectualized... they're something primal. They're, almost by definition, indescribable.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:54 pm

I get where Rider4Z is coming from. I understand, but am having great difficulty articulating, precisely what I mean....

Like let's say I decide to do something about the horrors of childhood poverty, and you walk away from my video feeling like total crap (which is what I want you to feel) because of both the subject matter and how my editing conveyed. Could it qualify for best drama, sure. But like... putting that in the same category as my Shiori character profile wouldn't be fair at all. They have completely different goals.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:04 pm

Kionon wrote:I get where Rider4Z is coming from. I understand, but am having great difficulty articulating, precisely what I mean....

Like let's say I decide to do something about the horrors of childhood poverty, and you walk away from my video feeling like total crap (which is what I want you to feel) because of both the subject matter and how my editing conveyed. Could it qualify for best drama, sure. But like... putting that in the same category as my Shiori character profile wouldn't be fair at all. They have completely different goals.
Reminds me of GuntherAMVs' Hot Commodity a couple years ago. It dominated Drama. And I had the same !@#$ dilemma. I spent about an hour with our judges going "Can we give this !@#$ video anything but Drama". But expo is a different beast... the contest where all the awards are made up and the points don't matter. In a contest like Pro, with much more "fixed" categories... HC totally deserves to be considered for (and even, perhaps, win) Best Drama.

Aren't all the other categories just "runners up" for best drama? If your story has conflict, it's a drama after all...

Return to “AMV Contests”