The Otakon 2015 Mega-thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
VicBond007
Org Profile

The Otakon 2015 Mega-thread

Post by VicBond007 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:16 pm

AMV Theater Schedule
The Otakon schedule can be found here: https://www.otakon.com/events_schedule.asp
It is subject to Ota-change.

Unless there is a scheduled block that specifically says "(ROOM CLEAR)" then there is no room clear. Feel free to poach seats, but please be respectful of the current presenters.

------------------

Non-Finalist Info
AMV Contest Non-Finalists are scheduled to be shown in two parts. We have 3 hours of non-finalists total.
The first part is 9:00am - 11:00am Friday
The second block is 10:00am - 11:00am Saturday.
The playlist is ordered so that the videos are sorted alphabetically by studio name, starting with the people who indicated that they will be at Otakon on their submission form. If you checked said box, your video will be played on Friday. If you didn't, it will either be played later in the Friday block, or during the Saturday block.
The Non-Finalists playlist is not set in stone. If you just want to see your video and get back to standing in the dealer's room line, no problem! Come to the booth and let us know you're there! We'll bump your video to the top of the playlist if it has not already played.

------------------

AMV Contest Contributor Priority Seating Info
As with previous years, AMV Contest contributors get special at-con perks. Everyone who's submitted a video that has not been DQ'd (finalists, non-finalists, and even prize trolls) can get 3 special badges (2 for your buddies!) that allow you to sit in the best seats in the house, and more importantly, SKIP THE LINE for the AMV Contest.

To retrieve your badges, please stop by Programming Ops, which will be in BCC 327-328 this year. AMV Ops is sharing the space with Programming Ops but our banner should still be outside of the room.
AMV Ops will be open during these times for badge handouts:
Friday: 2:30pm - 4:30pm
Friday: 9:30pm - midnight
Saturday: 10:00am - noon

Once you have your badges, just show up to the AMV Contest at least 15 minutes before it's scheduled to start, present your badge to whomever is guarding the door and they will guide you past the line and to the creator seating. We will give away any extra seats in those rows 15 minutes before the contest starts, so be sure to show up by that time if you want the good seats.

There will be a creator row blocked off in the AMV Theater as well, but since it will be general seating there will be no line to skip should you choose to attend the screening in the AMV Theater. We will clear that row during seating.

Badges are re-usable for both screenings.

Those with Press Badges or Priority+ Ribbons may follow the same procedure.

------------------

AMV Contest Disqualifications
There were none. While there were some trouble spots pointed out at prescreenings and during legal evaluation, they have been addressed and corrected. If you sent a video in by the deadline, you are entitled to your 3 creator badges.

------------------

AMV Contest Finalists
Only listing the studio names in case ya'll want to keep your videos a secret, but you don't have to! Congrats to the finalists, more details to following after the rage-wave calms down ;)

hamstar138
Kireblue
Corsair
MycathatesyouAMV
Nekokitkat
Drabaz
Under The Box Productions (Krigen)
Tsu
irriadin
Knage
SliceofLife
Ileia
CatalyzeInsanity
Daramue
LopezAMV
Straw Buggy
Trenzilla
BecauseImBored1
Shin
PiercedSky
SkitsoAMVs
AngelDragoon
VivifxAMV
Warlike Cygnet
BasharOfTheAges
BakaOppai
Mike Henschel
KushiiSmiles
Rider4Z
alexmichur00
Celia Phantomhive
Parodic Productions
MammiKunniaan
SuperJujuAwesome
drewaconclusion
Miracle Falcon

------------------

Iron Editor Info
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 5&t=123202

-------------------

Otakon 2015 AMV Theater
The Otakon 2015 AMV Theater will be in the same room as last year, BCC 324-326. It will still seat around 300 people.

We are trying to use the data that we collected last year (thank you, Test Subjects!) to better manage the lines for the room, and hopefully prevent lines...for the lines. To accomplish this, we're likely going to schedule *dead* time between major events to give people a chance to migrate into/out of the room without having full room clears. We'll also be better prepared to handle queues this year. None of us had ever worked an AMV theater that reached capacity, much less as frequently as it did at Otakon, so we had to improv line management last year.

The plan is still to simulcast the AMV Contest on Friday and Saturday both in the huge Video 1, and in the AMV Theater, but the schedule is nowhere near finalized so we don't have confirmation on this yet.

--------------------

Official AMV Contest Rules
Otakon link: https://www.otakon.com/events_amv.asp
Backup URL: http://vicbond007.net/otakon2015_rules/

Two major changes from last year.

1) We are no longer accepting entries on VHS tape. I know you all are heartbroken.

2) We are (pending legal approval) going to attempt a Cosplay Music Video category. The operative word here is MUSIC. This is not for skits!
If you are submitting a cosplay music video, you either HAVE to be the videographer or you HAVE to get permission from each videographer whose work you've used. These are the same standards that 2014's Otaku Paradise had to adhere to. This means that if you sourced 9 different cosplay videos, videographer-A shot videos 1-3, videographer-B shot videos 4-6, and videographer-C shot videos 7-9, you need to present us with proof that you have permission to use footage recorded by videographers A, B and C. We don't need permission for each clip, nor do we need permission for each video if the same person shot multiple videos.
If you are the videographer, we are assuming that you have permission from each of your subjects for them to appear in your work.

We're trying something new and we hope you all play fair. If the AMV contest starts to succumb to the Cosplay DramaLlama, we'll be forced to play it safe.

These rules are still up for legal review, but in the meantime we ARE open for submissions. If something changes between now and when the official rules are posted, you will be notified if the change affects your ability to compete in the contest.

I will begin cross-posting this entire post to the Otakon BBS once the rules are finalized.

--------------------

AMV Related Panels
I know this is short notice, but we are not doing a separate panels form this year to sign up to present in the AMV theater. Otakon programming was very good about sharing their database with me so for this year, all requests to host programming in the AMV Theater should go through the Otakon Panel Submission page.
http://www.otakon.com/events_panels.asp
The deadline for panel submissions is APRIL 30.
We are not just looking for AMV contest, but also content that is heavy on video presentation, light on discussion, since that's what our room is set up best for.
Last edited by VicBond007 on Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

Sayoria [Inactive]
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2015 Mega-thread

Post by Sayoria [Inactive] » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:51 pm

First post. We will see where we will go from here. 90% chance I won't attend the con, but we will see. I'll still submit.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:32 pm

The Rules wrote:Anti-Trolling Policy: If your entry has won a major categorical award, First Place or Best in Show at any convention that has screened their contest before June 11th 2015 (yes, this is a Thursday, so AnimeNext entrants, you're still safe!), then your entry will be automatically be entered into the OTAKON® AMV Contest as a "non-finalist" (this is different than being disqualified!).
*AIMKISSYFACE*
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:34 pm

Well I got two months to finish my new AMV. The decision to either hold it for AWA or submit to Otakon? Hopefully I can get this one done in the next month then start AWA's project. YEAH mass editing....

Looking forward to this year's contest.

Gene
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:39 pm

What?! Your lawyers aren't requiring signed and notarized model consent forms for every person on film? What is this madness!?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:14 pm

VicBond007 wrote:
1) We are no longer accepting entries on VHS tape. I know you all are heartbroken.
I was about to un-retire for this.. :cry: :oops:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

knage
Org Profile

Post by knage » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:26 am

Sent 1 in, I want to ask if you could check if the AMV was received. Also the AMV already one 1 major award.
YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmARoS ... GP_b7rHM7g

I edit with a passion. Remember my name.

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:34 pm

Bump for panel submission deadline. Didn't know it'd be so close. If you want free Otakon memberships, put on your Presentation Pants and sign up!
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:16 pm

Prays for the common 1 week extension.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:18 pm

MycathatesyouAMV wrote:Prays for the common 1 week extension.
I think last year was the only time there was an extension since I've been submitting (since 2010)... I could be wrong, though

Return to “AMV Contests”