The Otakon 2015 Mega-thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
dragontamer5788
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2015 Mega-thread

Post by dragontamer5788 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:30 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it wasn't that they were laughing at his death, but, rather, they thought you were going with an implied yaoi subtext angle.
That's a good point.

The first time I heard the song (months ago on the radio), I thought it was a love song. But as the rap begins and the lyrics come out, it becomes clear that it is a "bro" song... no homo (seriously).

So if a good chunk of the audience wasn't familiar with the song, its probably easy for them to think it was a Yaoi thing. After the song is played, they realize how well it matched and then voted for the video?

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:42 am

dragontamer5788 wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it wasn't that they were laughing at his death, but, rather, they thought you were going with an implied yaoi subtext angle.

The first time I heard the song (months ago on the radio), I thought it was a love song. But as the rap begins and the lyrics come out, it becomes clear that it is a "bro" song... no homo (seriously).

Nope, it's a love song and Drabaz is trying to secretly communicate his homoerotic feelings through his video. IT'S OK, DRABAZ. THIS IS A SAFE PLACE AND IT'S TIME TO COME OUT OF THE CLOSET.

JK, I like the vid.

Drabaz
Org Profile

Post by Drabaz » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:59 am

Now that you mention it that could also be the case.
Radical_Yue wrote:Nope, it's a love song and Drabaz is trying to secretly communicate his homoerotic feelings through his video. IT'S OK, DRABAZ. THIS IS A SAFE PLACE AND IT'S TIME TO COME OUT OF THE CLOSET.
I guess you're right. There's no point in hiding it anymore! I'm...I'm....I'M A NARUTO FAN TOO :cry: :cry: :cry: I hope you'll all understand and still treat me with respect.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:05 pm

Drabaz wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:Nope, it's a love song and Drabaz is trying to secretly communicate his homoerotic feelings through his video. IT'S OK, DRABAZ. THIS IS A SAFE PLACE AND IT'S TIME TO COME OUT OF THE CLOSET.
I guess you're right. There's no point in hiding it anymore! I'm...I'm....I'M A NARUTO FAN TOO :cry: :cry: :cry: I hope you'll all understand and still treat me with respect.

Disgusting...
Think of the children! Next you'll be wanting to get married!

/vomits

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:37 pm

Can I just say that I absolutely loved your video? It helps big time that I enjoyed Hairspray the Musical and Hairspray the Movie of the Musical. But the continuity of the bugle player throughout the song was just one of the many highlights of the video to be had in it. It really has been a long time since seeing something that is well-deserving of the title "Best In Show". Congratulations!
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:59 pm

Two more observations:

-- At prescreenings, we looked at Warlike Cygnet's title and were wondering why it was called "The Sound of My Less Than Three". (Of course, upon seeing the video, it became obvious what the title is supposed to be.)

-- Good to see Parodic Productions make finals again, but GREAT to see him finally taking home 1st Place in Comedy!
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:07 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
That's a good point.

I don't think it's a "bro" song just because it has a rapping part in the middle. I just thought the rapping was appropriate given the film franchise it was written for and who it was written for.

(I took issue with people laughing through most of "The Hero You're Dreaming Of" that I made two years ago. I got over it, but still, I don't like how with certain pairings there has to be some kind of implied and insulting "no homo" when certain songs are used.)
So if a good chunk of the audience wasn't familiar with the song, its probably easy for them to think it was a Yaoi thing. After the song is played, they realize how well it matched and then voted for the video?
I really didn't think the audience was laughing at that angle. I saw nothing that indicated there was some sort of implied or explicit yaoi thing at all. I guess it was just funny that they were "singing these lines" while there was a huge gaping hole in Goku's chest.

Although not having seen Furious 7, I knew this song was one of those songs you hear after someone close to you has passed away. It was used at AMA as the tribute song/video for Big Danny T (well-known regular con goer in Virginia and very good friend) who died last Halloween. I would think with as many people that saw Furious 7, they knew going in what kind of song it was, and at first was laughing because Krillin seemed to be the fodder for this song at first glance, which is why some of the audience was laughing at that point. Again, Team Four Star seems to have corrupted people's thoughts about Dragon Ball Z.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:31 pm

Drabaz wrote:
bro... 3 years ago when my "Another Destination" trailer was in Otakon's finals, people even laughed at a stone pillar crushing a group of kids and a girl being caught in an explosion....
Crowd Reaction Video: https://youtu.be/_us5ohhlcrs

Also remember the crowd laughing when the guy dies in AngelDragoon's "Married Life" AMV 2 years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8vSfyeUvMY

So in a nutshell, Otakon Attendees are just terrible human beings :lol:

Xophilarus
Org Profile

Post by Xophilarus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:36 pm

kireblue wrote:
Drabaz wrote:
bro... 3 years ago when my "Another Destination" trailer was in Otakon's finals, people even laughed at a stone pillar crushing a group of kids and a girl being caught in an explosion....
Crowd Reaction Video: https://youtu.be/_us5ohhlcrs

Also remember the crowd laughing when the guy dies in AngelDragoon's "Married Life" AMV 2 years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8vSfyeUvMY

So in a nutshell, Otakon Attendees are just terrible human beings :lol:

Audiences are.. full of a variety of people so they aren't going to "get" a lot of things that seem like common sense. A lot of them are going to take what they see at face value and respond with "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA " Also, it only takes a few people laughing for whatever reason to get a ton of people to laugh because people work like sheep and mirror what they see or hear others doing since they assume that's how they are suppose to react xD

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:54 pm

Xophilarus wrote:Audiences are.. full of a variety of people so they aren't going to "get" a lot of things that seem like common sense. A lot of them are going to take what they see at face value and respond with "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA " Also, it only takes a few people laughing for whatever reason to get a ton of people to laugh because people work like sheep and mirror what they see or hear others doing since they assume that's how they are suppose to react
THIS. So much.

Return to “AMV Contests”