How many cons do you usually submit to?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Re: How many cons do you usually submit to?

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:39 pm

Ileia wrote:I submit fairly often. I certainly don't submit to every convention, I don't think I've ever made it past a dozen or so in a year's time. Even then, I spread it out and submit a wide range of videos, since I typically make 8-12 videos a year anyway. I attend 3-4 cons and get to watch the contests and I do find it annoying that the contest line-ups at many conventions end up being nearly identical, but I also understand that a lot of editors only make a couple videos a year and so the contests reflect that. ......but that's why I like AWA Pro because you HAVE to make new stuff. It's like AMV Christmas for me! :up:
8-12 a year? Dang, you're hard core. I thought having my one at Anime Boston was a big deal XD

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Normally it's always good to submit to the ones you're going to attend and beyond that I send to cons that I either want to help support or that have asked me to submit certain videos.

I don't like sending a single video to more than 3 conventions though (unless there are extenuating circumstances) so it helps to pick wisely :p

Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:17 am

that makes a lot of sense. I guess it's all personal taste and opinion. I've been sending mine to quite a few since it first premiered at Anime Boston. Being my first serious AMV for a competition I really want to share it and see how far it goes. Chances are I'll start dialing it down for my next video though XD
Win or lose, it's a real rush first seeing your own AMV up on that screen, isn't it?

knage
Org Profile

Post by knage » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:47 pm

For me I don't make many full AMVs a year, but I submit them to as many contests as I can. My past AMVs didn't always make finalist anyway, but I won a few none the less. I personally want to help my YouTube channel grow, but a trophy would be nice too.
YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmARoS ... GP_b7rHM7g

I edit with a passion. Remember my name.

Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:09 pm

knage wrote:For me I don't make many full AMVs a year, but I submit them to as many contests as I can. My past AMVs didn't always make finalist anyway, but I won a few none the less. I personally want to help my YouTube channel grow, but a trophy would be nice too.
I hear ya. I'm less about winning myself and more about spreading love to my favorite animes (particularly the under-appreciated ones) but I wouldn't sneer at a trophy either

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:15 am

Personally I try to keep mine to 15 submissions with the bulk being in the first 3 months and any outside of that time window is either a huge con, one I'm attending, AWA, or Youmacon.

With the massive amount of cons these days and most having a contest, the small cons would suffer if everyone limited all their videos to just ones they attended or a handful. Figuring out that balance for yourself is important so don't feel guilty on the account of others, but keep in mind that there is a line that will cause other editors look down on you, or I should say lines...lol.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:55 pm

Win all the shinies

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:58 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote: With the massive amount of cons these days and most having a contest, the small cons would suffer if everyone limited all their videos to just ones they attended or a handful. Figuring out that balance for yourself is important so don't feel guilty on the account of others, but keep in mind that there is a line that will cause other editors look down on you, or I should say lines...lol.
What? I don't even understand this statement. No offense but you pretty much send to anything. Regardless if it's big or small..

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:09 pm

Scott has irony deflectors installed. Best $50 you can ever spend.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:39 pm

Ryvannis wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote: With the massive amount of cons these days and most having a contest, the small cons would suffer if everyone limited all their videos to just ones they attended or a handful. Figuring out that balance for yourself is important so don't feel guilty on the account of others, but keep in mind that there is a line that will cause other editors look down on you, or I should say lines...lol.
What? I don't even understand this statement. No offense but you pretty much send to anything. Regardless if it's big or small..
Not a single video tho, I would spread it out across videos and usually only send a particular video to small cons for 3-4 months (unless specifically requested).
BasharOfTheAges wrote:Scott has irony deflectors installed. Best $50 you can ever spend.
Indeed, good purchase.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “AMV Contests”