Tsukino-Con 2015 AMV Contest FRAUD?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
BakaOppai
Org Profile

Tsukino-Con 2015 AMV Contest FRAUD?

Post by BakaOppai » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:25 am

So I got a comment a few hours ago saying that someone saw my video at Tsukino-Con, which is weird because I never submitted there and it didn't have a thread on the org. I searched around and apparently this isn't the first time this has happened... http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... sukino+Con

post from 4 years ago:
So, I found out what happened. I guess they didn't get enough "good" submissions, so the contest coordinator added videos she, and the other judges liked, to the line up. Seems kinda odd to me. Usually the coordinator just asks the AMV creator to submit the video, since it is a contest and not just a showcase. :wink:

However, I personally feel doing that is wrong and unfair to the people who put their hard work into creating videos for her contest. If you only get 10 submissions, then play those. :roll:

So, this actually could be a good point to start the discussion as to what a contest coordinator should do if he or she doesn't get enough submission for an AMV contest?
Here's the list of AMVs that where shown for those interested:
http://www.tsukinocon.com/wp-content/up ... no2015.pdf

With contests adding restrictions on how many awards a video can have, this seems like dick move, especially since it was frowned upon back then.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: Tsukino-Con 2015 AMV Contest FRAUD?

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:08 am

Same thing happened to me and I was tempted to post something about it as well. I emailed the coordinator's and got a response:
Hi Amy and Krystyn,

I've received a few comments on my youtube channel saying one of my AMVs was shown at the convention. I'd just like to make sure it wasn't in the contest because i did not enter it. If it was for some other AMV showing, that's perfectly fine.

The video is called "The Optimists" - it's a One Piece video to "Pompeii" by Bastille.

Thanks for your time!
Rider4Z~

----

Hello Victoria!

Your video was indeed shown at our event this year, and it was an audience favourite! Our event runs much more as a showcase than a contest, the only contest portion being the audience picks their favourite from each category. There is never any intent to offend, and sole purpose is to share amazing videos we've found from around the internet as well as to showcase creator submitted videos. I'm actually in the process of releasing the video lists and the winners of our secondary event - the AMV smackdown in which audience favourites are pitted against each other and the ones which come out victorious are shown again in the following year. I'm sure this is what the comments are referring to. Coincidentally I and the other event director liked your work so much that we actually selected your video "The Optimists" to be our opening video. Again, no offence is EVER intended.

If you are ever in Victoria, BC during February and can make it out to our wee convention (roughly 2500 attendees), do come check us out! We're all about having fun and reveling in amazing fan creations with other fans and having one big party.

All the best,

Amy & Greg

------

Ohh, I understand now. Thank you for the clarification, and thank you for appreciating my work. :)

In the future, I would advise you to contact the creators of videos you put in your showcase so misunderstandings like this don't happen again. At least 3 people found my video today and told me they saw it in a contest I never heard of. And unfortunately, there are plagiarists out there who will claim others' AMVs as their own work, so you can understand my concern.

Thanks again for your kind words. I take no offense to this, I just wish I was informed beforehand, tis all.

Rider~
A very short time later, Troy showed me a message Amy left on facebook:

"And a reminder that since this is primarily a show case and meant to be fun for everyone, many of the creators don't necessarily know that their work is being shared and it can freak them out and scare them into thinking someone has stolen and taken credit for their videos. Please keep that in mind when hunting the videos down on youtube~"

I subsequently emailed them again the following:
Hi Amy,

You stated in your previous email it is not your intent to offend anyone. However, you posted the following on Facebook Monday, February 16 at 8:43pm:

"And a reminder that since this is primarily a show case and meant to be fun for everyone, many of the creators don't necessarily know that their work is being shared and it can freak them out and scare them into thinking someone has stolen and taken credit for their videos. Please keep that in mind when hunting the videos down on youtube~"

I take offense to this. It is not the audience's responsibility to hold anonymity regarding your showcase. It is not the original creator's fault for "freaking out" as you put it when they learn their work has participated in a competition without their knowledge or consent. It is not "fun for everyone" when the creators are disrespected like this, nor is it "fun" for the people who willingly participated and even possibly attended when you stack the odds against them.

If this were merely a showcase of your favorite AMVs of the year, then it wouldn't be that big of a deal, in fact many editors would appreciate the exposure (assuming they're credited of course). Most would likely have obliged to allowing their work to participate had you simply asked.

I highly recommend you re-evaluate how you run your AMV contests in the future. If you are in need of any ideas, I would be more than happy to help/brainstorm/give advice - and if not me, there is a mountain of knowledge on the contests forums of a-m-v.org.

So once again, I appreciate the compliment of your including my video - but I cannot approve of any of my work participating again if you choose to continue running your show as you do. I keep a record of all my wins and awards, but I will not count this as one of them. I did not earn it and I don't deserve it.

I hope you can understand where I stand on this, because I do not stand alone.
I spoke with Vlad and said he's tried showing them the errors of their ways, but they merely brushed them off. Perhaps if the lot of us give them our own feedback, they'll get a better idea.

Their email is - amv@tsukinocon.com. You can also send a message to the Con Chair and others here - http://www.tsukinocon.com/contactus/

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:21 am

As a community, all we can do is not submit anything if these people are still in charge next year.

Anyone who submitted videos to this convention should use the e-mails above to the contest coordinators with CCs to all the convention chairs, leaders, and/or governing board, and make a legitimate plea to have these practices reviewed and the contest rerun and re-scored by an independent panel or group. It's only fair to request this, as they had no right to "cook the books" with videos from creators who never gave them a submission form or indication.
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:25 am

As mentioned, I also highly suggest writing a letter to the con if your video was in the contest and make sure to cc the Chair of the con... Make the letter polite and to the point something like Victoria wrote...

my issue is this is totally not fair to those that legit submit something. How easy is it for a AMV director to pluck videos from the internet and stack them against true submissions... And this is called an AMV contest.. the menu selection that takes you to the rules says "AMV Contest"...

I talked to them a few years back, and they brushed me off in their forums and pretty much insulted the AMV community that we are too arrogant and who the hell are we to tell them how to run their contest... Hopefully those people are no longer around and it's more ignorance than anything

I do love this part quoted right out of their rules:

"YOU MAY ONLY SUBMIT VIDEOS CREATED BY YOU. Pulling videos from other creators off the internet isn’t cool and trust us, we’ll know if you ripped off someone. If you do this your “submission” will be disqualified. Ever heard of plagiarism folks? Submitting someone else’s work as your own is plagiarism. And we’ll take it as seriously as the University of Victoria takes it. (Ironically, every video is plagiarism because of copyright laws. Lol!)"

they don't know the meaning of what Plagiarism means (an pretty much state that is what we do) as they are confusing it with Copyright.

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:27 am

check your state and local laws. This sort of behavior can fall under false impersonation, criminal impersonation, etc. The seems are primarily local statutes, so feel free to press charges locally. Ain't no judgement like a default judgement.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:29 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:check your state and local laws. This sort of behavior can fall under false impersonation, criminal impersonation, etc. The seems are primarily local statutes, so feel free to press charges locally. Ain't no judgement like a default judgement.
I see they included one of your AMV in the finalist list too...

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:37 am

GloryQuestor wrote:As a community, all we can do is not submit anything if these people are still in charge next year.

Anyone who submitted videos to this convention should use the e-mails above to the contest coordinators with CCs to all the convention chairs, leaders, and/or governing board, and make a legitimate plea to have these practices reviewed and the contest rerun and re-scored by an independent panel or group. It's only fair to request this, as they had no right to "cook the books" with videos from creators who never gave them a submission form or indication.
I tried CCing the Con Chair when I messaged them, but I could only find the web page that lets you choose who you're sending a message to. I did message her in the beginning so hopefully i'll get a reply - but I doubt it.

shorisquared
AMV History Archiver
Org Profile

Post by shorisquared » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:25 pm

I feel so violated having entered this contest. :cry: I'm also sorry for all those affected (Other people who submitted and people whose videos were wrongly entered into competition). I have already sent an email to the coordinators and the Con chair explaining the situation and what they need to do to fix this.
ImageImage

Camichan19
Org Profile

Post by Camichan19 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Wait, what? I'm in here too? How the heck did they get a hold of all of these?
This definitely isn't fair to editors that earnestly entered. I'll try and take some time to send an e-mail as well.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:59 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:As a community, all we can do is not submit anything if these people are still in charge next year.
Problem is that they will still show people's videos even if they don't send them.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Return to “AMV Contests”