The AWA 2014 Professional Awards Video Review Thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: The AWA 2014 Professional Awards Video Review Thread

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:07 pm

BecauseImBored1 wrote:LOL I know rider XD I was dying after your review I am making the finished version a bit longer but not much
yeah overall it's really great, it's just that abrupt ending that needs fixing. I seem to recall having a talking to you about this before :nono:

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:09 pm

Sooo.. as should be rather obvious, #69 Harlock was my doing. It's a rather different beast for me, being the first AMV I've ever made just for fun. (Sounds strange, but editing doesn't come easy to me and I'm usually taking on some kind of concept or technical challenge that really pushes me to the limit and drives me up the wall. This was a nice change and proof that I can make a video in a more casual manner, meet a deadline and entertain folks.)

Couple things I wanted to get out there about my AMV (it's been killing me to bite my tongue):
Did I mention I usually take on some concept...yeah, ok I did it again. This one's more subtle than usual, which means I'm the only one who will probably appreciate or even notice it. That's ok, it's how I get my kicks!
Spoiler :
Harlock does not necessarily = Khan. In fact, this is not the best way to watch my AMV or the way I really prefer it interpreted. This is a trailer for Space Pirate Captain Harlock using the audio from Star Trek, with an underhanded agenda to trick people who HAVEN'T seen Harlock into thinking XYZ is happening, when in fact ABC is. It's all true...from a certain point of view. :twisted:
Lip syncing. I made a deliberate decision very early on to avoid adding in lip sync if it wasn't going to work the way I wanted it to. This CG stuff is hard, and while I can adjust lip flap to a certain degree, it's impossible to adjust everything else that's involved in making a convincing conversation happen. I'd rather watch a nice looking, nice flowing AMV than one with cringe-worthy lip sync stuck in, but I agree my AMV is severely lacking in this area. To this end, I would be very interested in feedback on a slightly modified version of the AMV with a handful of lip synced scenes thrown in. I personally don't like it, but on the other hand, it does shoehorn some of that stuff in there and establish a few of the characters better. Please PM me if you'd like to take a look...otherwise I might hunt you down and ask personally. ^_^ I'm more than happy to swap feedback for an op, after you release your AWA AMV.
MaboroshiStudio wrote:Mine were #75 and #84

I honestly didn't know this movie was in distribution limbo for 2 years and thought it just came out... thus I never saw nor knew of Driftroot's Final Fantasy version. I had a chuckle when I saw her Star Trek Captain Harlock trailer tho this year as I think I made the first Harlock AMV (which was a trailer) for last AWA using a background song that sounds very Star Trek so for people bringing up her Knights of Badassdom video I thought this a funny coincidence.
I was quite amused by this twist as well. What are the chances, eh? :lol: For the record, I never knew of your Harlock video until it came up in the AWA discussion this year. Hehe
MaboroshiStudio wrote: I can't help but feel a little bummed with the same combo and hearing well I can't help but think of Driftroot's version... but I was really happy with my entries this year vs last AWA which was my first con after a 10+ year retirement from editing AMVs.
Hey, don't feel too bummed about this (though I totally understand...had the same thing happen with a video I made and man...some YouTubers raked me over the coals for it, accused me of ripping off the other person's AMV...the works. All BS, but it was not fun). You know what folks were complaining about back in the beginning of this contest? Overuse of certain source materials. Now you come along with a trailer that's rarely used and make a parody out of it. Nothing wrong there, in fact, there's a lot RIGHT with it! It was a good concept, and just because someone else sort of did it first doesn't diminish what YOU made (particularly given you didn't know about my version). I'd hazard a guess that one reason people even drew any comparisons is because it's a rather rare (and bizarre) trailer.
Last edited by DriftRoot on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BecauseImBored1
Org Profile

Post by BecauseImBored1 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:37 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
BecauseImBored1 wrote:LOL I know rider XD I was dying after your review I am making the finished version a bit longer but not much
yeah overall it's really great, it's just that abrupt ending that needs fixing. I seem to recall having a talking to you about this before :nono:
But D: the song is a fade out D: fade outs are the worse D:

Obsidian Zero
Org Profile

Post by Obsidian Zero » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:55 pm

I made #99, the Ookami-san video to Miss Independent. I’ve been editing for 6 months now, so this was my first time participating in AWA. I got so many different opinions! Definitely an intriguing experience, and I’ve learned a lot from it.
I was inspired to make this video by my adoration of this series and its main pairing. After listening to this song and realizing that it fit Ookami nearly perfectly, I came up with the photo album motif to help capture the mood of the video and add a fun technical aspect. The candy editing style was a major risk, and I’ve gotten a lot of critique on my masks (though I did about 95% of this video in the 2 weeks leading up to the con, so I’m surprised I managed to even get it all together in that time). I also stupidly forgot to mention that I used Toradora footage, which probably would’ve helped people appreciate several of those scenes. XD Genius. Oh well.
The main difficulty in this AMV was the lack of source footage. The whole series is 13 episodes with very small true romantic moments, and not even an actual kiss. I had to edit several scenes that didn’t exist in the actual anime, and well as create some of the photo album items in Photoshop. It was a very taxing process, and in the end I had to sacrifice some time refining my masks in favor of actually making the story cohesive. I warped the original anime’s story to add more drama and push the romance, as well. This AMV made me want to go all #127-style jӓger death punch on my laptop. However, I’m very relieved to have completed it. I’ll be taking all of the critique I’ve received into consideration for my next video.
Thank you all for an awesome contest, and I’ll be looking forward to the results!
Editing by ansible

Lord Rae
Org Profile

Post by Lord Rae » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:15 pm

Obsidian Zero wrote:I made #99, the Ookami-san video to Miss Independent. I’ve been editing for 6 months now, so this was my first time participating in AWA. I got so many different opinions! Definitely an intriguing experience, and I’ve learned a lot from it.
I was inspired to make this video by my adoration of this series and its main pairing. After listening to this song and realizing that it fit Ookami nearly perfectly, I came up with the photo album motif to help capture the mood of the video and add a fun technical aspect. The candy editing style was a major risk, and I’ve gotten a lot of critique on my masks (though I did about 95% of this video in the 2 weeks leading up to the con, so I’m surprised I managed to even get it all together in that time). I also stupidly forgot to mention that I used Toradora footage, which probably would’ve helped people appreciate several of those scenes. XD Genius. Oh well.
The main difficulty in this AMV was the lack of source footage. The whole series is 13 episodes with very small true romantic moments, and not even an actual kiss. I had to edit several scenes that didn’t exist in the actual anime, and well as create some of the photo album items in Photoshop. It was a very taxing process, and in the end I had to sacrifice some time refining my masks in favor of actually making the story cohesive. I warped the original anime’s story to add more drama and push the romance, as well. This AMV made me want to go all #127-style jӓger death punch on my laptop. However, I’m very relieved to have completed it. I’ll be taking all of the critique I’ve received into consideration for my next video.
Thank you all for an awesome contest, and I’ll be looking forward to the results!
I've never seen that anime and I'm not a huge fan of that style of amv but I actually really liked this one and voted for it. Good stuff and well done. Welcome to the AWA family.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:15 pm

I just realized I didn't list my favorites in the contest this year.

#066 - Avicii - Wake Me Up - Tiger and Bunny - really sad I didn't see this in the finals.
#084 - Knights of Badassdom - Trailer - Attack on Titan - I lost it during the spell casting scenes.
#112 - Celldweller - Shut 'em Down - Various - I would have the devil's task deciding what category to place this in.
#115 - Lady Gaga - Fashion - Kill La Kill - Just soften the ending and this one is tight.
#123 - Jason Derulo - Talk Dirty - Futurama - I think I've watched this one the most. Best character profile evar.
#135 - Adele - Skyfall - Evangelion - while I'm not fond of the split-screen editing, I love the combo and storytelling. it's haunting how it fits so well.

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:08 am

Rider4Z wrote:I just realized I didn't list my favorites in the contest this year.

#066 - Avicii - Wake Me Up - Tiger and Bunny - really sad I didn't see this in the finals.
#084 - Knights of Badassdom - Trailer - Attack on Titan - I lost it during the spell casting scenes.
#112 - Celldweller - Shut 'em Down - Various - I would have the devil's task deciding what category to place this in.
#115 - Lady Gaga - Fashion - Kill La Kill - Just soften the ending and this one is tight.
#123 - Jason Derulo - Talk Dirty - Futurama - I think I've watched this one the most. Best character profile evar.
#135 - Adele - Skyfall - Evangelion - while I'm not fond of the split-screen editing, I love the combo and storytelling. it's haunting how it fits so well.
Same here. I was hoping there was gonna be a Fun category.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Xophilarus
Org Profile

Post by Xophilarus » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:04 pm

I did 130 and 131, was actually surprised thy both made finals since my nagi video honestly is pretty boring to probably the vast majority of people as it is actually a more personal video and I sent it here since I'm going and it was the closest video I had to being done xD. My Tutu video I made in around 7 hours the night of the deadline so yeah, didn't expect much from that xD. Good luck to everyone in the contest! I look forward to seeing the winners.

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:51 am

I don't get this thread at all :uhoh:
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:14 am

Xophilarus wrote:My Tutu video I made in around 7 hours the night of the deadline so yeah, didn't expect much from that xD.
Good job on that one, it was a stand-out for me :up:

Return to “AMV Contests”