The AWA 2014 Professional Awards Video Review Thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
SailorDeath
Org Profile

Re: The AWA 2014 Professional Awards Video Review Thread

Post by SailorDeath » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:41 am

Congrats everyone. I think I'm gonna keep mine a secret until I get to the con itself so instead here's a meteoroid I caught on my GoPro while I was coming home from work last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5ss51Xmw28
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:21 am

MaboroshiStudio wrote:#75
I had the idea for 75 for over 6 months as I love Les Friction (surviving member/brother of E.S. Posthumus) and after I finished my Attack on Badassdom and my NDK videos I thought why not make it. Of course 3 days before the deadline for AWA I showed it to Koop... he says he enjoyed it and then says... but... (long pause) you are going to laugh. I think the worst... I say someone made the same combo and he says yes lol. Oh well it happens and I still love the video as my edit / vision is very different from the Russian one which is more of a action video. I love the comments so far about it and was very happy it was nominated for both action and drama (I personally see it as a drama).
Best in Show for me. After rewatching through many of my favorites from the contest, that one just absolutely destroyed the others. It kills me that it wasn't nominated for Best in Show, but oh well. I saw the other video at NDK, and I couldn't get into it. Jay and I had a long discussion about it...they're similar but I'm more of a drama guy, and yours had way better storytelling so it appealed to me more.

Anyway, I look forward to a proper release :up:
MycathatesyouAMV wrote:Since we can, I made 109 and 112.
I guessed that you made 112 (mainly because of the "Reggie Was Here" text that was put into the video...YOU CAN'T MISLEAD ME). I can't believe that didn't get nominated for Best Comedy, to me that was the funniest video in the contest. Every time I watch it I laugh. Good job on it!

I made #119. I'm probably going to fix it up a little before I release it. I was editing that right up to the deadline, basically, so parts of it were rushed and definitely could have been done better. It was supposed to be short though, if I extend it at all it won't be by much. And drew, no it wasn't intentionally an homage to Godzilla flicks, and I can't believe I didn't see the connection until now :uhoh:

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:29 am

CrackTheSky wrote:
MaboroshiStudio wrote:#75
I had the idea for 75 for over 6 months as I love Les Friction (surviving member/brother of E.S. Posthumus) and after I finished my Attack on Badassdom and my NDK videos I thought why not make it. Of course 3 days before the deadline for AWA I showed it to Koop... he says he enjoyed it and then says... but... (long pause) you are going to laugh. I think the worst... I say someone made the same combo and he says yes lol. Oh well it happens and I still love the video as my edit / vision is very different from the Russian one which is more of a action video. I love the comments so far about it and was very happy it was nominated for both action and drama (I personally see it as a drama).
Best in Show for me. After rewatching through many of my favorites from the contest, that one just absolutely destroyed the others. It kills me that it wasn't nominated for Best in Show, but oh well. I saw the other video at NDK, and I couldn't get into it. Jay and I had a long discussion about it...they're similar but I'm more of a drama guy, and yours had way better storytelling so it appealed to me more.

Anyway, I look forward to a proper release :up:
wow thanks! I was so demoralized after Jay told me about the other one... I laughed as it seems I have bad luck.

AX 1999 - I had one of the 2 Sleep Now videos in the finals...
AX 2001 - I had one of the 3... yes THREE Lost in Space videos in the finals...

I was honestly surprised it got nominated as I thought the same combo issue might have killed it. Thanks again... and I can't wait to see how the crowd reacts to it.
CrackTheSky wrote:
MycathatesyouAMV wrote:Since we can, I made 109 and 112.
I guessed that you made 112 (mainly because of the "Reggie Was Here" text that was put into the video...YOU CAN'T MISLEAD ME). I can't believe that didn't get nominated for Best Comedy, to me that was the funniest video in the contest. Every time I watch it I laugh. Good job on it!
I agree... it was one of my favorites in Comedy too and disappointed it was in the finals
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:06 am

I made 124 and 126. Although, it seems like most of you already guessed accurately enough.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:30 am

MaboroshiStudio wrote:#84 thus I never saw nor knew of Driftroot's Final Fantasy version.
The comments with comparison of the two actually annoyed me a little bit and I hate when people do that in Pro. I don't view it as valid criticism, particularly when whatever other video they're referring to isn't even in the contest. I get that sometimes it's hard to separate the connection if one is a video that you're really familiar with, but I think videos should be judged on their own merit. It's kind of why the "blind" aspect of the contest is so important to me as well.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:58 am

My video was #142. For anyone that didn't realize, my video actually used both the censored and uncensored version of the Song ("Fuck U Betta" and "Love U Betta"). In total, my vid actually had 22 audio cuts and 11 F bombs :lol: I had t rush it to met the deadline, so the video wasn't as ecchi as I wanted it to be. I've already made all the adjustments to it that I want, but its still not as raunchy as the song would suggest. The problem with editing a song that fast is that I needed a lot of movement to be on screen all the time, but really raunchy scenes in anime tend to be fairly slow. I still like the way my final version came out, so I'm actually pretty eager to post it after the con.
Last edited by Kireblue on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:01 pm

kireblue wrote:My video was #142. For anyone that didn't realize, my video actually used both the censored and uncensored version of the Song ("Fuck U Betta" and "Love U Betta"). In total, my vid actually had 22 audio cuts and 11 F bombs :lol:

Wow... didn't see that coming lol! Well done sir
Reports of my death were greatly exaggerated...

www.maboroshistudio.com
YouTube Channel

BecauseImBored1
Org Profile

Post by BecauseImBored1 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:39 pm

I did all the videos that win all the categories you should just send me things. (If only this could be true D: )

Actually did 115 (Kill la Kill to Fashion) and 116 (Thrift Shop)....though in reality 116 is just the credits to my fashion vid XD sorry >_>

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:42 pm

Ileia wrote:I never got around to posting reviews for all the videos, but this one was one of my top picks. Those kind of sources are a pain to lip sync and I was impressed that you got it to work so well.
thanks so much! that means a lot to me <3
MycathatesyouAMV wrote:Thanks. Gave yours a vote in upbeat.
awesome!! :awesome:
Cyanna wrote:I didn't get around to reviews either. That one made me want to see the movie. (Also one of my guesses was wrong. :rofl: )
Holy 90's, Batman! I was responsible for #122.
haha! I had a feeling I'd fool everyone :nose: this was very different from my usual stuff. and I loved your 90s tribute :bzz:
Gene Starwind 21122 wrote:Anyways, great job with the Bird video Rider, and Cyanna I liked yours too. There were some really enjoyable videos this year.
thanks Gene :)
MaboroshiStudio wrote:Mine were #75 and #84
You are a mad GENIUS! my favorite work of yours yet. I was very surprised and sad to not see #84 up for best in show.
Shin-AMV wrote:I made 124 and 126. Although, it seems like most of you already guessed accurately enough.
actually I guessed 124 and 125 were the same creator. (and you were one of my choices but I wasn't 100%)
Ileia wrote:
MaboroshiStudio wrote:#84 thus I never saw nor knew of Driftroot's Final Fantasy version.
The comments with comparison of the two actually annoyed me a little bit and I hate when people do that in Pro. I don't view it as valid criticism, particularly when whatever other video they're referring to isn't even in the contest. I get that sometimes it's hard to separate the connection if one is a video that you're really familiar with, but I think videos should be judged on their own merit. It's kind of why the "blind" aspect of the contest is so important to me as well.
I agree. it's amazing how much you don't realize how differently you judge a video when you don't know who the creator is. it equalizes everyone having it blind.
kireblue wrote:My video was #142. For anyone that didn't realize, my video actually used both the censored and uncensored version of the Song ("Fuck U Betta" and "Love U Betta"). In total, my vid actually had 22 audio cuts and 11 F bombs :lol: I had t rush it to met the deadline, so the video wasn't as ecchi as I wanted it to be. I've already made all the adjustments to it that I want, but its still not as raunchy as the song would suggest. The problem with editing a song that fast is that I needed a lot of movement to be on screen all the time, but really raunchy scenes in anime tend to be fairly slow. I still like the way my final version came out, so I'm actually pretty eager to post it after the con.
I did not see this coming either, and after all those Disney MEPs we put together!!
BecauseImBored1 wrote:Actually did 115 (Kill la Kill to Fashion) and 116 (Thrift Shop)....though in reality 116 is just the credits to my fashion vid XD sorry >_>
AHAHAHA!! I was right!
115 - …dude where’s the rest of it?
116 – Oh, there it is.
^^my review of yours XD

BecauseImBored1
Org Profile

Post by BecauseImBored1 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:58 pm

LOL I know rider XD I was dying after your review I am making the finished version a bit longer but not much

Return to “AMV Contests”