PMX's AMV Contest 2014 (Winners Announced)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
ChaosGod
Location: Always running away but no matter how far I go there I am
Org Profile

Re: PMX's AMV Contest 2014 (The Finalist)

Post by ChaosGod » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:34 pm

congrats to all the finalists!!

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:17 am

I decided on a whim to go to PMX, and figured I'd also report the results. Here they are, as announced at Masq:

Staff Pick: Rhythm and Melody (by PieAndBeer)
Action Category: Identity Crisis (by Meatwad and PieAndBeer) [Audience response was great too]
Drama Category: The Will to Win (by Maboroshi Studios) [There were glitches during its victory playback though, unfortunately]
Comedy Category and Best of Show: Rejected AMVs (by l33tmeatwad)

Thoughts on the contest itself:

Small contest, even by small con standards. I counted 220 seats and it filled to 2/3rds capacity. There were some last minute struggles to get everything up and running, but at a small con that stuff's kinda expected and forgiven to a degree. There's a few things that could be addressed though:

1) Match the projector to the screen type. If you have a 4:3 screen, use a 4:3 projector. If you have a 16:9 screen, use a 16:9 projector. The vids were played from a 16:9 projector onto a 4:3 screen. That means 4:3 vids were a square surrounded by letterboxes and tower bars.
2) Turn off the lights, please. Lights were fully on throughout the entire event. They were probably left on as a courtesy for voting, but most rooms have dimmers or can turn part of the room's lights off.
3) The screen was in the far right corner of the room. Is there any way to move it to the center? Granted, it's a panel room so there's a big table at forward center, but obviously it won't be used during the contest, and the screen and projector are small enough to be temporarily moved.

As for the vids, it was a good crop of entries. A couple were oft played juggernauts that have been making the rounds from coast to coast, a few were entries I remembered from AX that didn't make the finals but were deserving of attention, and a few were ones I hadn't seen before that were promising. Kudos to all entrants, and congrats to each of the winners.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Post by PieandBeer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:17 am

ah sweet :D congrats to all the winners!
except Identity Crisis wasn't just by me and meatwad, it was an MEP done by l33tmeatwad, kireblue, amaterasu, gaelstrom, becauseimbored1, pauratagashi22, nosamvs, drewaconclusion and me! 0:
totally willing to claim all credit though! :D

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:40 pm

The only people mentioned were "meatwad" and PieandBeer, but then again there's only so many names that can fit on a ballot.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:26 pm

You can get the achievement "various" by having editors listed as various.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

PieandBeer
Most Important Meal
Org Profile

Post by PieandBeer » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:51 pm

XStylus wrote:The only people mentioned were "meatwad" and PieandBeer, but then again there's only so many names that can fit on a ballot.
totally understandable xD we've been having similar issues with other cons too
BasharOfTheAges wrote:You can get the achievement "various" by having editors listed as various.
this adds an air of mystery that i really appreciate
we'd be like a secret group of renegade editors

BecauseImBored1
Org Profile

Post by BecauseImBored1 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:46 pm

PieandBeer and Meatwad won enough things just give me all the credit ;) (or Steven bc his reactions are fun)

LoneStranger
Org Profile

Re: PMX's AMV Contest 2014 (Winners Announced)

Post by LoneStranger » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:07 pm

Greetings all,

I'm somewhat recovered, but still feeling the exhaustion. I'm just confirming XStylus's post on the winners. Congratulations, and I'll be in touch with you soon about your prizes.

Also I'd like to take everyone who participated.

Thank you for your time.
"Heaven is just Hell in the sky..." -Rammstein (Engel)

Return to “AMV Contests”