The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v5.0 - Sooo... Yes? No?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Brad
Org Profile

The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v5.0 - Sooo... Yes? No?

Post by Brad » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:43 pm

Oh. Hi there.

Haven't really been around a lot lately. I hope you're all doing well. I was just sitting here, looking at my computer monitor and thinking "Ya know, it's been a while since I've had the opportunity to shove my musical tastes down people's throats... Maybe I should revive the IC tournament. Like I said I probably wasn't going to do again."

It HAS officially now been 2 years since the END of the last tournament (which only lasted over a year, by ZERO fault of my own, of course), and I DID officially send Chii her prize... about a month ago... Yes I'm a bad person. Figured it's time that I can start considering it again.

However, we do now live in a different world from 3 years ago. I'd say its hard to argue that the Org is a bit less populated, and people SEEM to prefer short-run contests like the ones Yue have been doing (and from what I can tell, doing a great job at). So rather than just officially put it out there and say LETS DO THIS, I figured I'd make a thread, see what kind of reaction it gets, and go from there.

So if you think it'd be fun and you'd participate (this is NOT an official sign-up thread!!!), post a comment. And while you're at it, do you have any ideas about how to make the tournament better? I'll say right now, I DO want to keep the same 2-3 hour Iron Chef format. But if there are any other suggestions, I'm happy to hear them.

If you have zero clue what this tournament is all about, check out the previous tournament's forum: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... m.php?f=72
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Re: The Online AMV Iron Chef Tournament v5.0 - Sooo... Yes?

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:33 pm

I think that as long as it stuck to a set schedule (matches have to be over by a certain date) then it'll be good.

Let's do this :D

Obsidian Zero
Org Profile

Post by Obsidian Zero » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:01 pm

2-3 hours sounds quite fun, though you'll have to ask me in a few weeks if I still want to participate. I'm in the middle of Iron Effects 3 right now, and I'm extremely exhausted. >_<
Editing by ansible

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:01 pm

I'd so be up for this. Been wanting to give my shot at another one for a long time now. I think maybe have more options on what we can use for sources. Movies seem like they have a huge advantage over using like one 5 episode volume of a series. I think it should be expanded to allow entire usage of a series as one of your sources.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:26 pm

MycathatesyouAMV wrote:Movies seem like they have a huge advantage over using like one 5 episode volume of a series. I think it should be expanded to allow entire usage of a series as one of your sources.
And how would one person having 90 minutes of footage not be at a disadvantage in comparison to someone who has, for example, 26 episodes?

Anyway, I'd be up for it, but I'd say there needs to be restrictions for time. Sitting on a round for months because people can't settle on a time to edit is what will make the contest drag and make everyone lose interest. If they're going on vacation or something, really busy with work/school/etc and can't edit? Then they forfeit. Simple as that.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:16 am

So long as I have the time, I'd be 100% down for this. Been wanting to have a shot at this thing ever since I first heard about it.
"Never fall for a tennis player. Love means nothing to them"

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:29 am

I'm always game for something like this. I'd agree with the previous comments about being stricter on when editing happens.
ImageImageImageImage

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:35 pm

I'd be up for this as well.
ImageImage

Kisanzi
Why I likes so much?
Org Profile

Post by Kisanzi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:27 pm

Ileia wrote:
MycathatesyouAMV wrote:Movies seem like they have a huge advantage over using like one 5 episode volume of a series. I think it should be expanded to allow entire usage of a series as one of your sources.
And how would one person having 90 minutes of footage not be at a disadvantage in comparison to someone who has, for example, 26 episodes?
This is something that has always bothered me with this tournament and I think MCHY has a good point. The advantage of the movies is that you get to use the whole story of the anime and the footage is usually gorgeous. Whereas five episodes of a show usually doesn't encompass and full story arc and may only have some good scenes here and there. Since most shows nowadays are 11-13 episodes I'd like to see this rule get expanded to include more episodes, or at least let the competitor select 5 non-sequential episodes. If it seems that the movie people may be put at a disadvantage by this, then they may want to consider choosing an actual multi-episode show to even the odds.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Kisanzi wrote:
Ileia wrote:
This is something that has always bothered me with this tournament and I think MCHY has a good point. The advantage of the movies is that you get to use the whole story of the anime and the footage is usually gorgeous. Whereas five episodes of a show usually doesn't encompass and full story arc and may only have some good scenes here and there. Since most shows nowadays are 11-13 episodes I'd like to see this rule get expanded to include more episodes, or at least let the competitor select 5 non-sequential episodes. If it seems that the movie people may be put at a disadvantage by this, then they may want to consider choosing an actual multi-episode show to even the odds.
By that logic, maybe the episode people should choose movies instead. See how that works? I think that the way it's set up is the closest we can get.

Edit: Non-sequential could work, though.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Return to “AMV Contests”