Kumoricon AMV Contest 2014

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
absoluteapocalypse
Org Profile

Kumoricon AMV Contest 2014

Post by absoluteapocalypse » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:28 pm

Hi everyone! Kumoricon's AMV Contest is under new management this year and it took a little longer than normal for us to get submissions open. Traditionally, our AMV Contest is top-notch for a convention of our size but this year we really need your help! In the past local, national, and international AMVs have all won categories and best-of-show so anybody has a shot.

As it says on our rules page: "If your AMV is good, the Kumoricon audience wants to see it! We will not care how old your AMV is or which other contests it may have run in, or prizes it has won elsewhere. If it fits our categories and hasn't been on-screen at Kumoricon before, send it in!"

Electronic deadline: Wednesday, July 23, 2014 at 11:59pm Pacific Time

Convention site rules:
https://www.kumoricon.org/amv-contest

Kumoricon forum link:
https://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index. ... ic=18623.0

SIX AMV CATEGORIES: (Winners selected by audience vote)

1) INTENSITY Similar to an 'Action' category, but THIS year we are merging
'Effects' into this category, because good effects are intense. This
category is for a strong dramatic plot or visuals, engaging the audience
with impact, high suspense, and gripping scenes throughout. There is an
additional prize for best Effects (see below,) but the Effects prize winner
can come from any category.

2) INSTRUMENTAL This category may use any anime and any style of AMV, with the
only criterion being that the music contain no discernible lyrics, and no
scat or nonsense syllables either. Instrumental music may use the human
voice as a wordless instrument. The official contest website includes two
audio examples.

3) RETRO Each submission must satisfy BOTH of these conditions below:
a. All music and sources must be at least five (5) years old, and
b. The sum, in years, of the latest (youngest) video source and
audio source must equal AT LEAST 30.

4) G-RATED COMEDY & PARODY Tell all your jokes here! But to keep them CLEAN and
FUN for ALL - will be the challenge! Entries for this category MUST conform to
the MPAA "General" ("G") rating. The Hays Code which was in force from the
1930s through 1960s also offers a good voluntary guideline as well.

5) TRAILERS Includes fake commercials, TV spots, and movie and game trailers.
May use actual advertising audio or a fictitious creation in the style of a
commercial, trailer, or fake episode opening credits. Serious and intriguing
dual-openers will also show in this category. Comedy trailers may get redirected
to the COMEDY category.

6) MISLEAD THE AUDIENCE! A project wherein the story seen in the AMV is unrelated
or opposite to the story told in the actual anime series.

ADDITIONAL PRIZES:

- Best of Show (audience vote)
- Judges' Choice (selected by the judges' panel)
- Master of Technical Effects (selected by judges & coordinator)

Let us know if you have any questions! I look forward to seeing your submissions!
Last edited by absoluteapocalypse on Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magicflier
Org Profile

Re: Kumoricon AMV Contest 2014

Post by Magicflier » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:00 pm

Under "Submissions and Deadlines", it only tells us to give you a download link by email. You don't need any other information about the AMV? Did last year have these same specifications? :uhoh:

absoluteapocalypse
Org Profile

Post by absoluteapocalypse » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:32 am

Wow, yeah, you are right. I will work on getting that fixed! (I didn't write it, haha.) Please send us the following:
~Your name and preferred alias (your name will be kept private if you provide an alias)
~Your email address (if none is specified, I will assume this is the one you sent from)
~The title of each AMV you are submitting
~The name of the source anime, song, and musical artist/source you used
~Your preferred category for each AMV (if you feel strongly about your AMV being played in a specific category let me know)

Thank you for pointing that out! :D

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:23 pm

No drama or romance / sentimental?
The entry I have is more suited for Drama even though there is some action there (although I'm not sure "Intensity" is exactly right for it).
I guess I'll send it to you and let you be the judge..?
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

absoluteapocalypse
Org Profile

Post by absoluteapocalypse » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:00 am

Sorry, no Drama/Romance. If you are invested in that being a thing, bring it up on our forums during next year's rules discussions; we try to listen to feedback as much as possible but I know in the past the response towards this type of category has been pretty negative.

As for your entry, certain go ahead and send it in; we'll try to find a place for it somewhere else in our contest!

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:37 am

Negative reaction to Drama and Romance / Sentimental?
That's intriguing.
In some of the contests I've run, those have outdone Comedy in terms of viewer favoritism.
Maybe the audiences are different in other places..?
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

absoluteapocalypse
Org Profile

Post by absoluteapocalypse » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:07 pm

Well, I don't actually know! I am only the assistant and this is my first year so I haven't experienced it first-hand. I really will bring your suggestion up next year and see if I can get a Drama category to happen; I think we are missing a lot of good AMVs from something that might be a false assumption.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:06 pm

Can you link me to this forum thread where people are talking categories down in such a way?
I'm curious now.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
(2020 - 2021)

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:58 pm

Deuce Loosely wrote:Can you link me to this forum thread where people are talking categories down in such a way?
I'm curious now.
I was curious too, so I snooped around on the AMV Contest forum and I didn't see too much discussion about it. It looks like the categories have been missing drama/romance for some years. The closest thing I could find to explain its absence was in this post:
Prinz Eugen wrote:Another idea: Fold up Effects into Intensity?
Intensity grew out of the older Action category, which at one time even ran as Action & Effects, so they've been together before. Intensity arose out of trying to sift the Drama category so as to keep the driving, hard-hitting themes, while filtering out the long, boring angst/emo relationship-based sludge that most of the audience found BORING.
Sounds like it was a judgement call made by the staff based on their evaluation of audience response. Kinda surprising, but then again, cons have never been the greatest place for drama/romance videos. It might also be a con size thing; if the AMV screening is comparatively small, the staff can't really afford to filter out the less desirable videos so they have to take what they can get. Drama/romance being probably the most popular genres, if they get a ton of those and not enough from other categories, they're going to have a drama-heavy playlist and the audience will get bored. Looks like they're trying to head that off by eliminating the genre altogether. It's not a bad idea. A drama/romance video can still be submitted if it falls under one of the other categories...and at that point it's probably going to be more suited to audience tastes anyway. It's a creative solution to the problem. I like it.

It probably wouldn't be an issue if Kumoricon was a bigger-profile convention, though.

absoluteapocalypse
Org Profile

Post by absoluteapocalypse » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:01 pm

Yes, basically what CrackTheSky found via our forums.

All I want to add is that, as I mentioned in my earlier post here, we are in the middle of some changes in management. A number of things (actually, the entirety of 2013's rules) ended up being grandfathered in this year so that the contest wouldn't be cancelled entirely. In the past, I have submitted to Kumoricon's contest for the last 6 years and am helping out now because I want it to continue to be the best it can be. If creators want to make and submit Romance/Drama videos, I will do my best to find a place for them; I would like as many people as possible to be happy with our contest.

Return to “AMV Contests”