AWA 2014 Rules The Video Art Track at Anime Weekend Atlanta

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: AWA 2014 Rules The Video Art Track at Anime Weekend Atla

Post by Kireblue » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:44 am

Jingoro, The best solution will be for you to set up a google drive account. You will get 15 free gigs of storage automatically, so that will be enough space for you to upload all the vids to a folder. You can then get the e-mail address of everyone that participated in pro, and set the security settings of the folder so that it can only be accessed by those people. If adding permissions via e-mail address is too much work, you can also set the security settings to have the folder be available to anyone that has access to the link (but not make that link public or searchable on the web).

One cool benefit that this will bring is that google drive has built in streaming capabilities. So if someone is unable to download the massive folder, they have the option of just watching it online.

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:03 am

Gene Starwind 21122 wrote:This is just an idea for next year but what about an FTP server where we can create an account for each person that enters to log in. Then they can download the videos from there. Sort of like the org here when you go to upload your video. You get a user name and password and upload to the FTP. I'm sure there is a way for everyone to download it using the same method.
FTP is impossible. We dropped it because nobody knew how to use it and the support we had to do was horrendous.

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:04 am

kireblue wrote:Jingoro, The best solution will be for you to set up a google drive account. You will get 15 free gigs of storage automatically, so that will be enough space for you to upload all the vids to a folder. You can then get the e-mail address of everyone that participated in pro, and set the security settings of the folder so that it can only be accessed by those people. If adding permissions via e-mail address is too much work, you can also set the security settings to have the folder be available to anyone that has access to the link (but not make that link public or searchable on the web).

One cool benefit that this will bring is that google drive has built in streaming capabilities. So if someone is unable to download the massive folder, they have the option of just watching it online.
I'll look into that right away.

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:58 am

Another idea would be dropbox then. People could sign into dropbox and download the videos.
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:23 am

Dropbox has a smaller limit. I'd go with google drive.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:35 am

Is there a reason that the video titles weren't included in the file names? Just wondering...would there be a way to provide a simple .txt file or even a list here that shows the titles of the videos corresponding to their numbers?

I know you're swamped jingoro, so no pressure or anything :P

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:51 am

I'd say just stick with torrents. Most people don't know it, but there is a bandwidth limit for shared files on all the services like dropbox and google drive for each file that is shared. The share they used this year is fine, I just wouldn't split a rar file again, that just complicates things, but I don't see why large zip/rar files would be an issue if done correctly.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:17 am

All the videos are now available via Google Drive. I'm not sure the details; how I share with non-Google accounts and such, but if you would like me to share the folders with you, you'll need to PM or email me the email you used to submit your video, and your Google email (if it is different).

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:55 am

Here's a ProTip from one of our participants for all you interested in the Google Drive distribution!
By the way you should tell people to download the desktop version of google drive, because it works just like dropbox. All of the videos sync one at a time, and you can watch them as they appear, much faster than waiting for a zip file.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:16 am

For those that downloaded the original torrent or downloads and want their files renamed, here's a bat file you can run to rename and reorganize all the videos:

DOWNLOAD

Put ALL THE FILES (even the Adult videos) into the same folder and run the bat file and it will rename them all and put the adult and DQed videos into their respected folders the way the new torrent is organized.
Last edited by l33tmeatwad on Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “AMV Contests”