The Otakon 2014 Mega-Thread: AMV Contest Finalists and More!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
VicBond007
Org Profile

The Otakon 2014 Mega-Thread: AMV Contest Finalists and More!

Post by VicBond007 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:13 pm

AMV Theater Post-Con Wrap-Up Megapost:
http://board.otakon.com/index.php?showtopic=26248

----------------------------------------

AMV Theater Playlists:
http://board.otakon.com/index.php?showt ... 6&p=294711

Contributor Priority Seating Info:
As with previous years, AMV Contest contributors get special at-con perks. Everyone who's submitted a video that has not been DQ'd (finalists, non-finalists, and even prize trolls) can get 3 special badges (2 for your buddies!) that allow you to sit in the best seats in the house, and more importantly, SKIP THE LINE for the AMV Contest in Video 1.

To retrieve your badges, please stop by AMV Ops, which will supposedly be in BCC 336 this year. We are sharing the space with Programming Ops but our banner should still be outside of the room.
AMV Ops will be open during these times for badge handouts:
Friday: 12:30pm - 2:30pm
Friday: 7:00pm - 9:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am - noon

Once you have your badges, just show up to the AMV Contest at least 15 minutes before it's scheduled to start, present your badge to whomever is guarding the door and they will guide you past the line and to the creator seating. We will give away any extra seats in those rows 15 minutes before the contest starts, so be sure to show up by that time if you want the good seats.

There will be a creator row blocked off in the AMV Theater as well, but since it will be general seating there will be no line to skip should you choose to attend the screening in the AMV Theater.

Badges are re-usable for both screenings.

Those with Press Badges or Priority+ Ribbons may follow the same procedure.

AMV Contest Non-Finalist Info:
As with previous years, we've tried to show as many non-competing entries as possible at Otakon. Unlike previous years, we have our own room now, so we will be able to play every video that has not been disqualified.

If your video is either a non-finalist or a troll, it will be shown during an AMV Contest Non-Finalists block in the AMV Theater. We have 3 blocks of time:
9:30am-10:45am Friday
10:00am-11:00am Saturday
9:45am-noon Sunday

On Friday, we will be showing entrants who indicated that they will NOT be at Otakon, with the last remaining few spilling into Saturday. The rest of Saturday and all of Sunday will be for AMVs that were made by people attending Otakon. We're doing it this way because there is still a significant registration line on Friday morning, and we're actually opening up the AMV Theater 30 minutes before the rest of the con. To make sure that those creators in attendance get the best possible exposure, we're pushing them to time slots where more people will be registered.

By default, the playlists are sorted alphabetically by studio name. However, if you have a Non-Finalist video and you're at a specific screening, you can request a Theater staffer to bump your video to the top of the list if it has not already played, regardless of what you put on your entry form.

Contest Seating Info:
While we've done exhaustive research over the years as to which seats are better than other seats (seriously, I did an 8-page report on calculating how good a chair is) these numbers tend to not align with what the general public seems to think is "better". For this year we are striking a compromise to hopefully avoid complaints from people who got seated behind others, even though they arrived sooner (Seriously dudes. Nobody wants the first row.) The diagram below outlines how we will be seating Video 1 this year.
Spoiler :
When you enter the theater, as with previous years, you will be assigned a group so that we can seat 2 sections at once. Attendees will be seating so that the numbers are filled in order.

This is the first year that we have simulcast seating so we're not sure what the impact of that will be.
Should Video 1 fill, we plan to follow our old policy of "if you leave the theater, you won't be allowed back in". We will also be locking the doors to latecomers to prevent anyone from sneaking back in.
If Video 1 does not fill, if you leave the theater, or show up late, you will be re-seated in the back of the room by a staffer so that you don't interfere with somebody else's viewing experience.

At this time we plan to seat the AMV Contest Simulcast in the AMV Theater (Room 324-326) as open seating with a very strict "don't stand in the doorway" policy. Should we near capacity before the event starts, we'll do our best to smush everyone together to make sure that open seats are easy to get to.

Best in Show Info:
In previous years we've always made an at-con judgement call on how to award "Best in Show". Some years we allowed the category winner to double-dip, and some years we haven't. We figured, to avoid confusion when the awards are announced, that we'd pick a policy ahead of time and stick with it.

The winner of "Best in Show" as decided by the audience, will not be allowed to place in its category.

This means that if "Best in Show" places in its category, the category places will be shifted. For example: If a video wins BIS and "1st Place Action", the video will be awarded "Best in Show", the video that placed second in action will be shifted to first, and the video that placed third in action will be shifted to second.

We feel that this is the most fair way to deal with BIS. We want to recognize as many videos as possible, and it's only fair for the videos that have to directly compete with the fan-favorite powerhouse, to get a bump in placement.

In the interest of keeping things simple, we have no plans at this time to acknowledge a Best in Show Runner-Up (Almost Best in Show?)

AMV Contest Finalists:
As with previous years, I'm only announcing the editors. If an editor wants to reveal what video they sent in, go right ahead. This way if an editor wants to keep their entry a secret, they can.

Trailer/Parody
Speedy180
OOKAMI
Maboroshi Studio
Tsu
KireBlue

Drama/Serious
Centurione
Unlucky Artist
SeasonsFX
Ryvannis
[key]Scarlet
KushiiSmiles

Action
SSGWNBTD
Hagaren Viper
snowflake1515
Irriadin & Daramue
Syliyn
Serli

Romance/Sentimental
lovingyoujacksparrow2
Aquiline Studios (Cyanna)
AngelDragoon
SkitsoAMVs
AdventLostKaichou
Fidelity Studios (Anicsi)
BecauseImBored1

Upbeat/Dance
xNekoAMV
Fidelity Studios (Chikasole) & Illuminated Studios (xGeminii)
PieandBeer
tayuyashoujo
SasukeChanx
Otaku Lounge

Comedy
Vivifx
Pikapwn
MycathatesyouAMV
Lone Wolves Productions
Aquiline Studios (Scintilla)
l33tmeatwad

Troll Videos:
A video is a "troll" if it has won a MAJOR award at a contest that screened prior to June 12th and took place at a physical location. This is open to MY interpretation of what a major award is. Trolls are deemed "too hot for Otakon" and are not permitted to compete in the contest. However, they will be played during the non-finalist screenings. Creators of troll videos are still eligible for priority seating badges.

Trolls
BakaOppai - Fan Favorite - A-Kon 25 Masters
BasharOfTheAges - Best Comedy (Judges' Decision) - FanimeCon 2014
diegao94 - Best Action - Texas Furry Fiesta 2014
haunter103 - Best Creativity - Anime North 2014
Hika Yagami - Best Romance - Anime Next 2014
KagatoAMV - Best in Show - Zenkaicon 2014
LC_Lapen - Best in Show - A-Kon 25 Standard

I have decided to let AMVs that won "Best Non-AMV" at A-Kon 25 to compete at Otakon because after reviewing A-Kon's rules, there was no mention of this award existing prior to the con. This suggests that the award was made-up after all of the submissions were received, to recognize specific videos. In my eyes, that's akin to a specific judge's award. I'm not trying to do any specific creators any favors, I just think that's the most fair interpretation of that prize. That's my ruling. DealWithIt.jpg

Disqualified Videos:
DQ'd videos are videos that do not conform to our rules and will not be played at Otakon. The creators are NOT eligible for priority seating passes. They've been given ample time to correct their entries but failed to do so.

Disqualified Videos
Pebz - Subtitles that were not added by the creator. E-mail sent 6/14. No response.

Iron Editor Information:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 5&t=121009

Yes Virginia, There is a Deadline Extension
If you checked out the AMV contest rules today, you might have noticed that the deadline is now 6/22 for mail-in entries, 1:00am 6/23 for FTP entries. This is for reals. Prescreenings will be later this year so it no longer makes sense having such an early deadline.

Otakon is proud to announce that the 2014 convention will feature a dedicated AMV Theater.
http://www.otakon.com/news_article.asp?id=873

The theater is going to be in BCC 324-326, which was Video 3 in 2013. It seated 330 but since our layout involves a stage, it will probably seat closer to 300.

The Friday and Saturday AMV contests should still be in Video 1 like in previous years, and that room seats around 1,800. The Sunday encore screening will be moving out of Video 1 and will instead take place in the AMV Theater. To offset that drop in seating capacity, we will be simulcasting the AMV Contest in the AMV theater on Friday and Saturday, so now even if Video 1 hits max capacity you will still have the option of hiking upstairs to see the contest during a voting period.

I will make my best efforts to cross-post everything in this thread and on the Otakon forums so y'all don't have to check 2 places.

OFFICIAL AMV CONTEST RULES
http://otakon.com/events_amv.asp
Backup URL (same rules)
http://vicbond007.net/otakon2014_rules/

The official AMV contest rules have been approved by Otakon's legal team and we are accepting submissions until June 15th. Now that things are finalized, we'll start going through our backlog of submissions and confirming whether or not your files are broken.

The only major change from last year's rules is that were are now disqualifying for subtitles/karaoke lyrics that were not added by the AMV creator. In the past, we typically just scored obviously fansubbed videos so poorly that they wouldn't make the final cut, but with Otakon's AMV Contest submission numbers constantly growing, we figured it'd be best to start disqualifying these videos outright.

-------------------------------------------------

AMV Panel submissions are closed. The below information is just for archival purposes.
AMV Panel/Screening Volunteer Submissions are Open
Official announcement hopefully coming soon!

We are always looking for new and unique programming so if you have a panel or screening that you'd like to run in the AMV Theater, let us know!

The submission form for panels/screenings is here: http://vicbond007.net/otakon2014_amvpanels/

Because we are coordinating around the Otakon Panel Department's schedule, the AMV Theater's rules are mostly the same as the panel submission rules available here:
http://otakon.com/events_panels.asp

This includes the April 30th deadline!

For panels: These are the discussion/presentation based panels such as "AMV 101". We can offer up to 3 reimbursed memberships for a panel that runs at least an hour.
For screenings: We're also looking for themed screening content with minimal discussion. If you have compelling music video content that could fill an hour, we're prepared to offer 1 reimbursed membership per screening. For screenings that we anticipate being really popular, we're willing to let them run longer and will consider additional memberships.

If you already submitted/plan on submitting something through the actual Otakon panel or workshop form don't worry! The Otakon Panels department has graciously been keeping me in the loop so if any events that I'm interested in show up on either form, I'll have a chance to whisk you away to the magical land of the AMV Theater.

Honestly, we're making this up as we go. Since it's our first year, we'd like to see what kind of a show we can stitch together, but we also want to make sure that you, the content provider, are adequately taken care of.

I'll gladly answer any questions.
Last edited by VicBond007 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:25 am, edited 16 times in total.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2014 Mega-Thread: Turbo Edition!

Post by TnAdct1 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:14 pm

Please let this be the return of an AMV/fan video room at Otakon.
Last edited by TnAdct1 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Parodic Productions
Org Profile

Post by Parodic Productions » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:00 am

SUSPICIOUS!

I am intrigued.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:55 am

"Due to supplier shortages, Ice Cold Water is now $2.50"
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:08 pm

This is relevant to my interests. :bear:
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:50 am

I'm really curious to know what the big changes are...

DJJonnyBlaze
Org Profile

Post by DJJonnyBlaze » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:00 pm

you gonna just leave us hanging huh?

Parodic Productions
Org Profile

Post by Parodic Productions » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Awesome! Otakon's own AMV Theater! Righteous!

...okay, I might need some elaboration. More later, I guess.

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:30 pm

VicBond007 wrote:Otakon is proud to announce that the 2014 convention will feature a dedicated AMV Theater.
http://www.otakon.com/news_article.asp?id=873

I will make my best efforts to cross-post everything in this thread and on the Otakon forums so y'all don't have to check 2 places.

Lol! Love it. I can only imagine how the pitch for that went.

Vic: "We want an AMV Theater."
Otakon bigwig: "Well, I dunno..."
Vic: "AX has one. Fricking AX has an AMV Theater. C'mon!"
Otakon bigwig: "Say no more. Done."

Congrats! :beer:
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

Return to “AMV Contests”