The Otakon 2014 Mega-Thread: AMV Contest Finalists and More!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
VicBond007
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2014 Mega-Thread: Turbo Edition!

Post by VicBond007 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:24 pm

Scintilla wrote:I DEMAND SING-ALONGS.

Still want to see the romaji lyrics I typed you up for "Brian's Song" put to good use...
While I do have AUSA AMV Theater attendance numbers going back to 2010, Otakon's size makes it tough to use them as a baseline. I think that the plan is going to be to cram as many events into the schedule this year as we can, since we have the flexibility to schedule things as long or short as we want, to test the crowds and see what's worth building on in 2015 should this whole AMV thing work out.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:27 pm

I wish you guys the best of luck. :up:
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:48 am

How large is the room seating-wise?
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:10 am

Are creator spotlights a possibility ?
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:31 am

XStylus wrote:How large is the room seating-wise?
Updated first post in response to this.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:49 am

MycathatesyouAMV wrote:Are creator spotlights a possibility ?
I've never been a fan of spotlights, even though I've participated in my fair share of them. They might have had a place back in the 56K days where acquiring one's body of work was a chore, but nowadays it's a non-issue. I liked hearing the behind-the-scenes stuff about creators, and seeing shot-by-shot comparisons of parody videos, but the majority of spotlights still tend to be "here are my videos, including ones that played 3 other times this weekend". I might devote a block of AMVs to "people that I know are here" but I'd keep it to 1 video per person and wouldn't re-show their 2014 contest entry, finalist or not.

Programming is still very much up in the air though. I need to get in on the Otakon programming database to make sure that other rooms aren't showing AMV events. Conflict of interest is always a problem with a convention this size so I need to try and make sure that any requests for AMV related panels sent to Otakon get funneled to the AMV Theater for consideration.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:33 am

Several of us in PixelBlended have run AMV 101 in the past, wouldn't mind running it in the AMV room if you don't have anything planned already and were interested.

This new AMV theater has me pretty excited, looking forward to it!
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Parodic Productions
Org Profile

Post by Parodic Productions » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:41 pm

This is actually much better than I anticipated. Reminds me of the 2005 when we played the leftovers on the third floor and the contest in the Main Event section on level 4. Or all those other ones before that.

So will we be having Editor seating in the new AMV Theater or still in Video 1? Because, frankly, I always felt the upper rooms had better audio quality. Too much vibration in Video 1.

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Parodic Productions wrote:So will we be having Editor seating in the new AMV Theater or still in Video 1? Because, frankly, I always felt the upper rooms had better audio quality. Too much vibration in Video 1.
The editor seating sections in Video 1 aren't going anywhere, and I can attest that for at least the past 2 years, the audio for the entire room was calibrated to be as close to perfect as possible for those very specific rows. We can't do anything about the entire room but at the very least, those rooms should have sounded the best. Still, I've no problem with roping off a row or two upstairs as well as downstairs.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:11 pm

Sounds like the same size as Anime Expo Dedicated AMV Room is as that one seats just under 300.... I see Otakon has finally caught up to AX and Sakura-Con (about time) :P ...

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Return to “AMV Contests”