The Otakon 2014 Mega-Thread: AMV Contest Finalists and More!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
VicBond007
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2014 Mega-Thread: AMV Contest Finalists and M

Post by VicBond007 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:05 pm

From the rules:

"Your entry's audio must be primarily music. Excessive narration/dialog may be grounds for disqualification.
This rule does not apply to entries that are sent to the "Trailer/Parody" category. "

The trailer/parody category is for videos sourced from trailer audio, or for parodies of TV openings/etc (which are pretty similar in nature). It's not a catching ground for all things non-AMV. We don't want to name it "Videos Sourced from Trailer Audio and/or Videos that are Parodying existing Videos" just for the sake of clarity. If I try to write up a quantifiable rule then someone will always try to find a loophole for it (Brian's initial argument was that "it has music playing in the background the entire time" so how do I write something to prevent that?!). It's best just left up to the pre-screeners and myself as to what does and doesn't belong in the contest. If your video is entirely lip flaps set to funny dialog then it's not very well-suited for an A"M"V Contest. It is better off being sent to our Fan Parody track or to AMV Hell. Whenever we get an entry that is better suited for the Fan Parody track, I let the creator know before the deadline (unless they submitted in the 11th hour) that this other avenue is available to them.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

dragontamer5788
Org Profile

Post by dragontamer5788 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:25 pm

VicBond007 wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:At Iron Editor, there was an excellent matchup between a Dr. Who monologue to Homura (from Madoka). I think I see it listed in the listing under Iron Editor (SSGWNBTD - Guess Who! - 4x3.mpg), but the file doesn't seem to be available as is.

I'm guessing the clip was from the middle of one of the AMV Hells or AMV Salad videos. Any one know what I'm talking about? SSGWNBTD: If you're here, please let me know :-) Thanks.
This was actually his original submission to the Otakon 2014 AMV Contest. Since it was a parody and not an actual AMV, we had to drop it from the contest, and in the 19 hours between letting him know this and the contest deadline, he cranked out the Madoka - Clarity video that you saw in the actual contest. As far as I know, it has not appeared anywhere else, and yes, it was awesome.
Darn. Well... he better upload it soon. I really enjoyed it, and need to show it off to a couple of Dr. Who fans (who have seen Madoka).

Thanks for the explanation.

ssgwnbtd
Org Profile

Post by ssgwnbtd » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:53 pm

dragontamer5788 wrote:
VicBond007 wrote:
dragontamer5788 wrote:At Iron Editor, there was an excellent matchup between a Dr. Who monologue to Homura (from Madoka). I think I see it listed in the listing under Iron Editor (SSGWNBTD - Guess Who! - 4x3.mpg), but the file doesn't seem to be available as is.

I'm guessing the clip was from the middle of one of the AMV Hells or AMV Salad videos. Any one know what I'm talking about? SSGWNBTD: If you're here, please let me know :-) Thanks.
This was actually his original submission to the Otakon 2014 AMV Contest. Since it was a parody and not an actual AMV, we had to drop it from the contest, and in the 19 hours between letting him know this and the contest deadline, he cranked out the Madoka - Clarity video that you saw in the actual contest. As far as I know, it has not appeared anywhere else, and yes, it was awesome.
Darn. Well... he better upload it soon. I really enjoyed it, and need to show it off to a couple of Dr. Who fans (who have seen Madoka).

Thanks for the explanation.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=S36O9yiQV14

Return to “AMV Contests”