AWA new event thread

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

AWA new event thread

Postby madmallard » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:08 pm

There has been recent talk of modification of a couple of the AMV contests running at AWA. I was revising the rules with Matt for this years, and as I overlook mostly the Dance Video Challenge, I was revamping the rules and considering a music theme. When I asked about people's opinion I got interesting reports which made me want to probe the community further.

So I asked about the interest in another AMV contest, and I got a mixed bag response. A good chunk of them, however, were interested in some type of non-competetive event.

What is your take on this?

-Kanchou
-Asst VAT director of AWA
madmallard

Postby Koopiskeva » Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:44 pm

Dew it!

Non-competitive would be nice to see, even though I haven't been to many contests. |:
Hi.
Koopiskeva
|:

Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.

Postby The Wired Knight » Thu Mar 20, 2003 11:34 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me, especially since I'm actually going to AWA this year ^_^
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.
The Wired Knight

Postby madmallard » Fri Mar 21, 2003 12:58 pm

I was looking for a little more input, if anybody had some. . .

More or less opinions on non-competetive situations.
madmallard

Postby Ashyukun » Fri Mar 21, 2003 2:03 pm

'Non-competitive situations' would pretty much be anything where people make videos along a certain theme/style/etc or the likes and they're just played, not judged, right? This to me would evoke thoughts of the DDR/M:I projects, the SW trailer project, or (far more ambitiously) the Matrix project there have been rumblings about.

Here's my suggestion: Pick something domestic (a movie if you're being really ambitious, a tv episode (of something fairly well-known and good) if being a bit less, or a musical (Les Mis, Phantom, etc.) if you want to be -really- insane) and split it up into nice, say, 4 or 5-minute segments (maybe 2-3 minute for a TV ep.) and have people sign up for it, and hand out the segments at random and have the editors do whatever they feel like with it (well, maybe not whatever , it should somewhat try and follow the audio) and put them all together to have an AMV 'movie' or 'TV episode'.

Probably not the best of suggestions I admit, but maybe it'll prompt better ones... :wink:
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions
Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech

Postby AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:25 pm

An idea I pitched to quu a while back because I thought it was amusing:

AMV Karaoke Challenge!

AMV creators are challenged to sing the songs to their own amvs in an awesome display of vocal talent and intoxication.
AbsoluteDestiny

Postby paizuri » Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:28 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:An idea I pitched to quu a while back because I thought it was amusing:

AMV Karaoke Challenge!

AMV creators are challenged to sing the songs to their own amvs in an awesome display of vocal talent and intoxication.

Just so long as it didn't end up in an awesome display of regurgitation. :P
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.
paizuri

Postby AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:30 pm

Yeah, we have enough of those events at awa already :P
AbsoluteDestiny

Postby Ashyukun » Fri Mar 21, 2003 3:35 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:AMV Karaoke Challenge!

I could deal with that. I'll just do Karaoke to 'Dark Metropolis'. Or maybe I'll be be ambitious, and use 'Eden 12/24'. 8)
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions
Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech

Postby madmallard » Sat Mar 22, 2003 12:53 am

hmm. . well, i was hoping for a more significant response, to be honest. the people i was talking to off-board led me to believe that there would be big interest in an event like this. . .

but if you are, please speak up here and do it soon! We're about to begin drawing up scheduling plans for the AWA VAT soon.

. . . first of all it wouldn't be a project like DDR or any other number of project out there. It would definetly be more like a screening session opportunity, details still variable, tho
madmallard

Postby Beowulf » Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:56 am

This might not be a new "event" but does AWA have a non anime catagory and/or award?

And I think AD's idea is brilliant. Get 3-5 beers in everyone and we will have karyoke out the ass. :wink: I would be more than willing to do my part by rapping out Natural Born Killers for everyone.

I would also be interested in a non competitive event. Non onf my videos got shown at AWA last time, and I feel that just one huge screening room filled to the gills with AMVs is a good way to show everyones work.
Beowulf

Postby AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:04 am

AWA is a Video Art Track, rather than an amv contest - all of the categories are open to non-anime submissions.

However, it might be good having a non-anime specific award of some kind.
AbsoluteDestiny

Postby Machine » Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:39 am

Beowulf wrote:This might not be a new "event" but does AWA have a non anime catagory and/or award?

And I think AD's idea is brilliant. Get 3-5 beers in everyone and we will have karyoke out the ass. :wink: I would be more than willing to do my part by rapping out Natural Born Killers for everyone.

I would also be interested in a non competitive event. Non onf my videos got shown at AWA last time, and I feel that just one huge screening room filled to the gills with AMVs is a good way to show everyones work.

I'd pay money to see you rap Natural Born Killers! BUt I like the Kareoke idea. I wonder how bad we will all sound.

I was also curious about a non-amv category....mroe likely along the lines of short film kind. I'll have about 3 - 4 short films under my belt by the time the next AWA rolls around.

What do you guys think? :)
Machine

Postby Beowulf » Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:57 pm

Also, is AWA open to the NES Project?
Beowulf

Postby mexicanjunior » Sat Mar 22, 2003 6:24 pm

Beowulf wrote:Also, is AWA open to the NES Project?

Fluxy is working MC Wanger as we speak :P

BTW, AMV Karaoke idea = gold :up:
mexicanjunior

Next

Return to AMV Contests