KATSUCON 20 AMV Showdown...WINNERS (page 6)!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Squancho
Org Profile

Re: KATSUCON 20 AMV Showdown...FINALISTS!

Post by Squancho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:09 pm

In simplest terms...
"Don't Touch My Yuki" - murder, impalement
"Cloud Anime" - according to what I was told, there was too much movie audio for a trailer (1m30s) to be allowable...you'd have to look it up because it was just brought to my attention last night.
"Face Your Fears" - "too grisly for a general audience...
"Orgasmic Moonfall" - all I could gather from the harangue was the scenes were too suggestive...and I literally facepalmed when they took it out.
"Cyberstalking" - again with the "trigger warnings."
...and they basically said no to anything involving Atack on Titan and Future Diary.

We've never had to deal with this kind of thing before now so it's new to us as a department as well.
This con is skittish about protecting their event from any threat of lawsuit, be it concerns over copyright / licensing or psychological / emotional damage or whatever.
It feels to me like the walls used to protect also imprison.
I almost gave up conventions altogether last night but I can't affect anything from the outside.
Last night's meeting was one of the most deflating experiences of my life...seriously.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:29 pm

Deuce Loosely wrote:This con is skittish about protecting their event from any threat of lawsuit, be it concerns over copyright / licensing or psychological / emotional damage or whatever.
So much understatement here.
ImageImage

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:34 pm

I bet orgasmic moonfall was because of the name...
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:35 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:I bet orgasmic moonfall was because of the name...
I thought the exact same thing.
ImageImage

Davis 51
Org Profile

Post by Davis 51 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:37 pm

Deuce Loosely wrote:"Cloud Anime" - according to what I was told, there was too much movie audio for a trailer (1m30s) to be allowable...you'd have to look it up because it was just brought to my attention last night.
Yeah, I'm gonna have to do some digging on that. The trailer audio I used was literally all from one trailer. As in, that was the trailer used to promote the film in theaters. All 5+ minutes of it. It was epic beyond belief and exactly why I wanted to make an AMV out of it. That's the first I've heard of the 1m30s rule and it sounds like bullshit to me, given almost every movie trailer out there runs between 1m30s and 3m30s.

I don't blame you in the slightest, but please don't get discouraged. As the contest coordinator, next year if you choose to return, it would help immensely if all these little 'qualifiers' were stated upfront. For instance, what the hell is it with 'trigger warnings' nowadays? Is an editor supposed to walk on fucking eggshells now? Is there a definition of what qualifies as a 'trigger' that we can look up? Did they not think this would be pertinent information for an entrant to know?
Under The Box Productions is my studio.
My youtube page is: http://www.youtube.com/user/UnderTheBoxProduct

Iron Solari
OSHMKUFA2010
Org Profile

Post by Iron Solari » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:41 pm

Deuce Loosely wrote: "Don't Touch My Yuki" - murder, impalement
Is this for real? Is this seriously for real? I mean, I guess it's great that my comedy entry got bumped up to finalist, but what the hell? I guess now the sight of blood is enough to make the con chair panic and say, "Ah, Ah, Ah. That's too suggestive/violent."
...and they basically said no to anything involving Attack on Titan and Future Diary.
Seriously? Am I really going to be forced to use G-rated Slice of Life anime (not that I have anything wrong with them, most of my favorites are such) to submit to this convention now?
"Some guy stuck a butter knife covered in peanut butter into my DvD player because he said it was hungry."
-Anonymous

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:57 pm

I know.
It's beyond complicated and frustrating because I WANT you guys to be able to display your art openly so being told what goes and what doesn't is disheartening.
Granted, I understand with the recent rash f suicides in the region they don't want to broadcast images or reminders but there have to be limits on how far the prohibition goes.
The anime MM! was used for "Orgasmic Moonfall" and some of the scenes may have been "suggestive" but, in my mind, what anyone doesn't understand about what they see doesn't hurt them.
Furthermore, if they DO understand (especially if it's some kid), it's not our fault someone else initiated them into that kind of thing.
*sigh*
I'm just trying to not throw my hands up and quit right now.
I like doing AMV stuff and that would ruin my name faster than anything.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Davis 51
Org Profile

Post by Davis 51 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:01 pm

Your avatar is most fitting right now. :wink:

Hang in there!
Under The Box Productions is my studio.
My youtube page is: http://www.youtube.com/user/UnderTheBoxProduct

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:05 pm

Thought I had left a reply earlier but I guess not, stupid phone.

Anyway, what we do for anime Vegas and anime conji is make it perfectly clear in advance to the board, entrants, and audience that we present a PG-13 show, meaning children under the age of 13 should be accompanied by an adult and little kiddies are probably not a good idea. We then repeat/stress it once again at the beginning of the show, so anything parents may find offensive after the fact would be their own responsibility. We still listen to opinions they may give us afterwards and keep in mind for the future, but we don't let ourselves get pushed around. If someone decides to take it to a higher authority, we are prepared to defend ourselves stating they were warned several times of questionable subject material.

However, this also requires VERY good judgement on the coordinators part.

Miracle_Falcon
Org Profile

Post by Miracle_Falcon » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:41 pm

My opinion is this: it seems clear we can't do anything more now for this contest, but abstaining from entering next year is too long a road for us to go down. It'll take too long to get our message across, and we'd risk losing the contest altogether.

I also don't think we've got a winning argument if we try to say people are being too sensitive. The goals of people who care about this sort of thing are, in broad strokes, based in minimizing suffering, and it's not my place to tell anyone that what they say they feel isn't worth consideration.

What we CAN do, though, is document a double standard. If we present them with evidence after the con that they were very sensitive with the content of the AMV contest, but not with other things, that might help us have a better situation next year. Anime conventions, I'd argue, are inherently pg-13 - at least. I'm sure the dealer's room will have items on display that aren't pg. Cosplayers won't all be PG. I'm positive some of the shows they'll play in video rooms won't be PG. That, I think, should form the basis of our argument when we go to feedback panels and post to facebook.

I think I'll try to keep a picture log of it at Katsu. Anyway, sorry to be preachy.

Return to “AMV Contests”