ANIMATION Music Video Contest?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Tsu!
Org Profile

Re: ANIMATION Music Video Contest?

Post by Tsu! » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Ah... a pity. Well, that's my primary concern. Having never attended Anime Conji myself, I'm sure you have a better gauge of what the attendees are into and enjoy, but in my experience at other cons there's been an increasing level of grumpiness about non-anime cosplay/events/panels ranging from minor crankiness to serious hostility. I just wonder how your audience would feel about it.

Personally, as an editor, I don't mind one way or the other. I don't particularly have any interest in editing non-anime footage at this time, but the wiggleroom in the rules doesn't hurt. The whole Disney thing does concern me, though. :?
Fanime 2014-2015, 2018-2019 AMV Contest - Department Head
Fanime 2016-2017 AMV Contest - Lurking Department Second

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Still looking for more opinions :D i know this forum is full of opiniontated people and i'm really asking for it this time :uhoh:

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:15 pm

Some cons do this but others stay away from it for the reasons Vlad already stated. This is partly why AWA was always labeling it's AMV contest the VAT awards as the Video Art Track allowed for a broader definition to allow for entries outside of anime - labeling it an AMV contest inherently restricts it (by perception alone).

As to the feasibility or whether or not this will be permitted I will not comment on that for obvious reasons - also as full disclosure this message is NOT endorsed by the SPJA and is not to be construed as the opinion of organization or its organizers - this is my take alone.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:26 pm

thanks, you're a big help X)

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:54 pm

I only ran the Connecticon contest for one year, but having talked to kiarrens who was running it before me, you don't get many western animation video entries unless you know where to go ask for them. Like AWA, CTCon accepts everything, but besides a few Avatar videos and a small number of pony vids (which it's really hard to advertise for as most news places for pony shit won't give you the time of day unless you are a 100% pony con), almost everything we got that wasn't anime, was live action. If you know the communities to promote in, then go for, it. If you don't, then don't expect to get more than a handful of non anime videos - mostly from AMV editors that had another project they worked on.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

AngelDragoon
Org Profile

Post by AngelDragoon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:47 pm

Personally I would like to see more contests accept other forms of animation. Sure you may run into some flack for it being an 'anime' convention, but you're more than likely to create greater interest to a wider viewing audience, (and increased variation in video sources that will help keep the audience's attention). Like others have said, the most you probably have to worry about is legal issues. Besides that, I would love to see it and would probably participate. :up:

Goober4473
Org Profile

Post by Goober4473 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:38 pm

I always like it when contests allow more than just anime. Personally speaking, I'm looking for more places to enter my recent Homestuck video. Not sure if that counts (it should, since it's animation).

Return to “AMV Contests”