ANIMATION Music Video Contest?

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Re: ANIMATION Music Video Contest?

Postby Tsu! » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Ah... a pity. Well, that's my primary concern. Having never attended Anime Conji myself, I'm sure you have a better gauge of what the attendees are into and enjoy, but in my experience at other cons there's been an increasing level of grumpiness about non-anime cosplay/events/panels ranging from minor crankiness to serious hostility. I just wonder how your audience would feel about it.

Personally, as an editor, I don't mind one way or the other. I don't particularly have any interest in editing non-anime footage at this time, but the wiggleroom in the rules doesn't hurt. The whole Disney thing does concern me, though. :?
Fanime 2014 AMV Contest - Department Head
Tsu!

Postby Rider4Z » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Still looking for more opinions :D i know this forum is full of opiniontated people and i'm really asking for it this time :uhoh:
Image Image
Image Image
Anime Conji AMV Contest Coordinator
Anime Vegas AMV Contest Co-coordinator
Rider4Z
Pirate King

Postby The Wired Knight » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:15 pm

Some cons do this but others stay away from it for the reasons Vlad already stated. This is partly why AWA was always labeling it's AMV contest the VAT awards as the Video Art Track allowed for a broader definition to allow for entries outside of anime - labeling it an AMV contest inherently restricts it (by perception alone).

As to the feasibility or whether or not this will be permitted I will not comment on that for obvious reasons - also as full disclosure this message is NOT endorsed by the SPJA and is not to be construed as the opinion of organization or its organizers - this is my take alone.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.
The Wired Knight

Postby Rider4Z » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:26 pm

thanks, you're a big help X)
Image Image
Image Image
Anime Conji AMV Contest Coordinator
Anime Vegas AMV Contest Co-coordinator
Rider4Z
Pirate King

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:54 pm

I only ran the Connecticon contest for one year, but having talked to kiarrens who was running it before me, you don't get many western animation video entries unless you know where to go ask for them. Like AWA, CTCon accepts everything, but besides a few Avatar videos and a small number of pony vids (which it's really hard to advertise for as most news places for pony shit won't give you the time of day unless you are a 100% pony con), almost everything we got that wasn't anime, was live action. If you know the communities to promote in, then go for, it. If you don't, then don't expect to get more than a handful of non anime videos - mostly from AMV editors that had another project they worked on.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby AngelDragoon » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:47 pm

Personally I would like to see more contests accept other forms of animation. Sure you may run into some flack for it being an 'anime' convention, but you're more than likely to create greater interest to a wider viewing audience, (and increased variation in video sources that will help keep the audience's attention). Like others have said, the most you probably have to worry about is legal issues. Besides that, I would love to see it and would probably participate. :up:
AngelDragoon

Postby Goober4473 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:38 pm

I always like it when contests allow more than just anime. Personally speaking, I'm looking for more places to enter my recent Homestuck video. Not sure if that counts (it should, since it's animation).
Goober4473

Previous

Return to AMV Contests