The AWA 2013 Video Review Thread -- Final Voting RIGHT NOW!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
SailorDeath
Org Profile

The AWA 2013 Video Review Thread -- Final Voting RIGHT NOW!

Post by SailorDeath » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:08 am

Soo, with Jingoro and his staff processing our entries I felt it was about time this thread was started every year.

For any newcomers, the rules are simple:

1. Write a review for each video.
2. It can be serious or satire, it doesn't matter.

Also, with the rules about it them being new for this year, if people do find any that have been premiered already it would be best not to use this thread to report/shame them. It ruins the spirit of what this thread. Personally, if you find one, just e-mail Jingoro with the video info and where you found it online. It'll get handled by them. The point of these reviews is to share our thoughts, let others see what people said about their video. (good or bad, and believe me I've wanted to murder some reviewers :P ) Try and be creative with your reviews to win the coveted "self-proclaimed winner of the thread" award.
Last edited by SailorDeath on Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: The AWA 2013 Video Review Thread

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:39 am

Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:03 pm

My videos will totally win everything so there is no use for this thread :P :P :P
(That is if I actually had new videos to send in :cry: )
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:My videos will totally win everything so there is no use for this thread :P :P :P
(That is if I actually had new videos to send in :cry: )
No Vlad video is sad. :(

... oh, wait, that means our chances of winning might actually improve. |:>
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:58 pm

Below is my complete review of all the videos in pro this year.
Spoiler :
2 – Well edited, visual flow is fluid and the video quality is good. That said, the story is either not clear or not present, having not seen the show I don't really feel for the emotions from the characters.
3 – Concept well executed, song and sources fit, however the footage quality varied and the 30fps framerate caused some choppiness in the footage.
4 – Pretty good Toradora video, however the overlays and level changing on the footage was unnecessary. Not a lot to complain about other than personal taste preferences concerning the effects. Overall it felt like an average video that was edited very well with clean footage and smooth movement and flow.
5 – Concept fits, but there is TONS of lip flap and entire video was poorly executed...looks like a youtube special...
6 – Very well done and smooth editing, but there was little to understand about the video. As someone who has not seen the show, I found it hard to follow and hard to finish.
7 – Felt a little slow and using the incorrect framerate (30fps instead of 24fps) caused choppiness throughout the video that was very noticeable. There was also some frame blending.
8 – Concept was weak, didn't' really see the link between the song and anime choices...decent editing and sync, but the video really failed to really convey anything to me...
9 – Amusing video that was well edited and the text work was very good. Felt a little stale at parts, not a lot of depth in the humor and relied heavily on the audio while not adding much to the comedy through the pairing.
10 – Decent editing and story progression, but nothing really stood out, was rather average.
11 – Very good action and flowed really well. That said....LAY OFF THE OVERLAYS AND EFFECTS! A lot of the overlays and effects were unnecessary and felt intrusive to the video.
12 – Had spots with good action follow by static clips that killed the flow and was very slow for an action video while taking forever to pick up. There were some choppy clips which were mostly likely the result of altering the clip speed. There was some lip flap, but due to the nature of some of the content it's hard to complain about, however the video was very long and dragged along, could have been shorter.
13 – Wow, very good text and effects, but the concept really doesn't come across through the video and the lipsync was not good. Overall a very impressive technical feat, that falls off after about the first minute when it really failed to give me a reason to continue watching due to the repetitive nature of the song.
14 – This video couldn't make up it's mind, started out as some kind of character profile video that turned to action then became a parody commercial at the end...felt a bit static at parts and really felt random from beginning to end.
15 – Fun concept and an entertaining video all around. That said, it was riddled with choppy footage and frame blending that stood out a lot and really ruined the viewing experience.
16 – Very fun concept and executed well. Not a whole lot of technical flaws, but there were some random lip flaps and a few cuts felt like the timing was slightly off, but overall a very enjoyable video.
17 – Pretty entertaining video to watch, text work was well done and the clip choices were strong. That said, it really lacked that late night commercial vibe the audio gives off.
18 – Great concept that worked really well and was pretty well executed. The lipsync started out strong and gradually got weaker which leads one to believe that the editor may have run out of time to fix some things. Overall enjoyable, but the lipflap and lipsync could use some work.
19 – Wow, one of the best videos in the contest! Was very fluid, told a story, and kept me entertained from beginning to end.
20 – Visual artifacts throughout the entire video, static clips really left the video feeling really slow. Decent progression and character building, but nothing super special about this video.
21 – One of the best action videos in the contest, very good flow and kept me wanting to continue from start to finish. Pairing was strong and there were not any glaring technical issues.
22 – Major combing noise the entire video....very distracting and the AR was wrong....started off a good concept wise but the random change really killed it...I'm curious if this was submitted MPEG-2 and converted...seems decently edited behind the horrible combing artifacts.
30 – Felt like an average upbeat video with multi-source. Footage was not handled properly, needed to be cropped and all the footage is at the wrong aspect ratio...decent video ruined by horrible handling of the footage.
33 – Incorrect frame rate which caused lots of choppiness in the video...static clips really killed the video flow, felt extremely slow and took a minute to get started up. Some of the effects felt awkward and there was some frame blending. Video was entirely too long and was a chore to watch...
39 – Footage levels heavily altered creating over-saturation and clipping on the high and low ends of the footage. Random overlays that were not necessary and lip flap were rather distracting. Story telling was okay, but really lacked the impact to make me really care for the characters, but a lot of that is the shows fault (I saw the show and was not impressed).
44 – Another video that the footage was not handled properly and needed to be cropped...that said, it represented the show well and was an okayish video.
46 – One of the better CG animation videos I've seen. The mood of the instrumental song worked well and the video flowed well and presented the story in a comprehensible way that kept me watching to the end. Really made me want to watch the movie.
48 – Well edited and the story was straightforward and easy to understand, but it fails to really stand out compared to other romance/sentimental videos. No technical issues to complain about, just felt very average.
50 – Pretty amusing and very well edited parody. Seemed to fit pretty well and not anything complain about tech wise.
51 – Decent concept and execution, however the incorrect framerate caused some choppiness. The overall flow was good, however it really didn't stand out much compared to most action type videos.
68 – Very well edited and was a very touching video. Nothing to complain about tech wise aside from some lip flap that could have been taken out. The video flow and story really worked well.
70 – Concept was okay, but really failed to keep my attention, lacked impact. Tech wise there was some chroma noise, footage was very flat and washed out, and there were a few spots with choppy footage.
71 – Good concept, sources meshed well, however the video cuts were way too slow and there was random lip flap throughout the video. Pacing really killed the video in terms of enjoyment.
72 & 73 – Footage was choppy at parts, but overall was decently amusing for a mixed audio source type video centered around ecchi. This censored version was more amusing.
74 – Concept was weak and best and the video and audio pairing didn't work. Despite that, the overall editing was well done and there was little tech wise to complain about.
75 – Not a lot to complain about, but was a bit hard to follow story wise and the random lip flap and choppy clips were distracting. Random overlays felt unnecessary and there was high tension in the video but I was unable to really tell where it was leading to.
78 – Wasn't really clear as to the direction of the video, however it was well edited and decently entertaining.
79 – Interesting pairing, and the action and pacing of the video was very well done. Nothing to really complain about.
80 – Interesting concept, however mixing the manga, anime, and live action didn't work well at all...the manga parts could have used some more work as well.
89 – Felt really slow, random cuts speedy cuts then slow cuts, slow zoom in & out, and the washed out look were all rather tacky...very sloppy video. I barely made it through the first minute...didn't really feel connected to the characters.
90 – Good job character building, however the styling at the opening and near the end looked really washed out & overly white, which looked pretty bad. The lip flap was tacky and should have been removed. Overall flow of the video was average, but the story telling worked decently well.
95 – Was an okay upbeat video, but wasn't really anything special and pretty tacky.
97 – Interesting concept, but had poor lipsync, the wrong AR, and poor handling of the footage...CROP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
98 – Absolutely shit quality footage and horribly edited...watched about 10 seconds and turned off...not even worthy of the title “youtube AMV”...
101 – Pretty basic action AMV...no real concept, just tons of action clips pasted together, nothing special about this one...
102 – Interesting source choices, pretty well edited, but lots of lip flap that could have been removed. Good job with the story flow and was entertaining.
105 – Video struggled with flow and it seemed like the cut pacing changed up randomly not keeping a consistent sync. Story was decently clear, but at the same time was rather dull and uninteresting, which is mostly the fault of the source.
109 – Needed more twitch...
110 – Pretty good pacing for an action video, but the lip flap and shitty video quality really kill this video.
113 – The mask transitions were super obvious and VERY distracting. Concept was okay, but the horrible effects and transitions look really bad.
115 – The multiple layers made it hard to see anything, but the overall concept was okay, that said, the randomly changing font styles, horrible color choices making some of the text unreadable, and tacky effects really hurt this video.
132 – Footage was a bit over filtered, but the overall flow of the video and story progression was decent. There were also some clips that were choppy, probably from speed manipulation.
134 – Overlay at the beginning was awful, the clips were too slow for the song and the video pacing just DRAGGED...clip quality was pretty awful and there was also the TV station logo staring at me the entire time...
135 – Shit quality...not worth watching...
136 – Choppy low quality footage footage with tons of artifacts...concept was not there...STOP USING THIS SONG PEOPLE!
138 – Interesting concept, I enjoyed it. The video was very well edited, but the image sources could have been cleaned up a bit better.
140 – The text felt unnecessary and there was lip flap that needed to be cut out. Song and anime fit decently well, but the flow was a bit off at parts and the overlaying was very tacky.
156 – One of the better live action videos in terms of action, but some of the pacing felt a little awkward. Overall a decently edited video, but it gave me little reason to re-watch. There was also some choppy footage at some parts.
163 – Very good flow upbeat video and was fun to watch despite the lack of any concept or link between the sources. Did seem a bit random to be mostly action with a break in the middle for dancing...although overall it feels more like an action video.
167 – Visual flow and story progression is well handled, although like many other videos, there is some lip flap that should have been removed. Overall a pretty enjoyable video.
Last edited by l33tmeatwad on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:07 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:Below is my complete review of all the videos in pro this year.
Spoiler :
2 – Well edited, visual flow is fluid and the video quality is good. That said, the story is either not clear or not present, having not seen the show I don't really feel for the emotions from the characters.
3 – Concept well executed, song and sources fit, however the footage quality varied and the 30fps framerate caused some choppiness in the footage.
4 – Pretty good Toradora video, however the overlays and level changing on the footage was unnecessary. Not a lot to complain about other than personal taste preferences concerning the effects. Overall it felt like an average video that was edited very well with clean footage and smooth movement and flow.
5 – Concept fits, but there is TONS of lip flap and entire video was poorly executed...looks like a youtube special...
6 – Very well done and smooth editing, but there was little to understand about the video. As someone who has not seen the show, I found it hard to follow and hard to finish.
7 – Felt a little slow and using the incorrect framerate (30fps instead of 24fps) caused choppiness throughout the video that was very noticeable. There was also some frame blending.
8 – Concept was weak, didn't' really see the link between the song and anime choices...decent editing and sync, but the video really failed to really convey anything to me...
9 – Amusing video that was well edited and the text work was very good. Felt a little stale at parts, not a lot of depth in the humor and relied heavily on the audio while not adding much to the comedy through the pairing.
10 – Decent editing and story progression, but nothing really stood out, was rather average.
11 – Very good action and flowed really well. That said....LAY OFF THE OVERLAYS AND EFFECTS! A lot of the overlays and effects were unnecessary and felt intrusive to the video.
12 – Had spots with good action follow by static clips that killed the flow and was very slow for an action video while taking forever to pick up. There were some choppy clips which were mostly likely the result of altering the clip speed. There was some lip flap, but due to the nature of some of the content it's hard to complain about, however the video was very long and dragged along, could have been shorter.
13 – Wow, very good text and effects, but the concept really doesn't come across through the video and the lipsync was not good. Overall a very impressive technical feat, that falls off after about the first minute when it really failed to give me a reason to continue watching due to the repetitive nature of the song.
14 – This video couldn't make up it's mind, started out as some kind of character profile video that turned to action then became a parody commercial at the end...felt a bit static at parts and really felt random from beginning to end.
15 – Fun concept and an entertaining video all around. That said, it was riddled with choppy footage and frame blending that stood out a lot and really ruined the viewing experience.
16 – Very fun concept and executed well. Not a whole lot of technical flaws, but there were some random lip flaps and a few cuts felt like the timing was slightly off, but overall a very enjoyable video.
17 – Pretty entertaining video to watch, text work was well done and the clip choices were strong. That said, it really lacked that late night commercial vibe the audio gives off.
18 – Great concept that worked really well and was pretty well executed. The lipsync started out strong and gradually got weaker which leads one to believe that the editor may have run out of time to fix some things. Overall enjoyable, but the lipflap and lipsync could use some work.
19 – Wow, one of the best videos in the contest! Was very fluid, told a story, and kept me entertained from beginning to end.
20 – Visual artifacts throughout the entire video, static clips really left the video feeling really slow. Decent progression and character building, but nothing super special about this video.
21 – One of the best action videos in the contest, very good flow and kept me wanting to continue from start to finish. Pairing was strong and there were not any glaring technical issues.
22 – Major combing noise the entire video....very distracting and the AR was wrong....started off a good concept wise but the random change really killed it...I'm curious if this was submitted MPEG-2 and converted...seems decently edited behind the horrible combing artifacts.
30 – Felt like an average upbeat video with multi-source. Footage was not handled properly, needed to be cropped and all the footage is at the wrong aspect ratio...decent video ruined by horrible handling of the footage.
33 – Incorrect frame rate which caused lots of choppiness in the video...static clips really killed the video flow, felt extremely slow and took a minute to get started up. Some of the effects felt awkward and there was some frame blending. Video was entirely too long and was a chore to watch...
39 – Footage levels heavily altered creating over-saturation and clipping on the high and low ends of the footage. Random overlays that were not necessary and lip flap were rather distracting. Story telling was okay, but really lacked the impact to make me really care for the characters, but a lot of that is the shows fault (I saw the show and was not impressed).
44 – Another video that the footage was not handled properly and needed to be cropped...that said, it represented the show well and was an okayish video.
46 – One of the better CG animation videos I've seen. The mood of the instrumental song worked well and the video flowed well and presented the story in a comprehensible way that kept me watching to the end. Really made me want to watch the movie.
48 – Well edited and the story was straightforward and easy to understand, but it fails to really stand out compared to other romance/sentimental videos. No technical issues to complain about, just felt very average.
50 – Pretty amusing and very well edited parody. Seemed to fit pretty well and not anything complain about tech wise.
51 – Decent concept and execution, however the incorrect framerate caused some choppiness. The overall flow was good, however it really didn't stand out much compared to most action type videos.
68 – Very well edited and was a very touching video. Nothing to complain about tech wise aside from some lip flap that could have been taken out. The video flow and story really worked well.
70 – Concept was okay, but really failed to keep my attention, lacked impact. Tech wise there was some chroma noise, footage was very flat and washed out, and there were a few spots with choppy footage.
71 – Good concept, sources meshed well, however the video cuts were way too slow and there was random lip flap throughout the video. Pacing really killed the video in terms of enjoyment.
72 & 73 – Footage was choppy at parts, but overall was decently amusing for a mixed audio source type video centered around ecchi. This censored version was more amusing.
74 – Concept was weak and best and the video and audio pairing didn't work. Despite that, the overall editing was well done and there was little tech wise to complain about.
75 – Not a lot to complain about, but was a bit hard to follow story wise and the random lip flap and choppy clips were distracting. Random overlays felt unnecessary and there was high tension in the video but I was unable to really tell where it was leading to.
78 – Wasn't really clear as to the direction of the video, however it was well edited and decently entertaining.
79 – Interesting pairing, and the action and pacing of the video was very well done. Nothing to really complain about.
80 – Interesting concept, however mixing the manga, anime, and live action didn't work well at all...the manga parts could have used some more work as well.
89 – Felt really slow, random cuts speedy cuts then slow cuts, slow zoom in & out, and the washed out look were all rather tacky...very sloppy video. I barely made it through the first minute...didn't really feel connected to the characters.
90 – Good job character building, however the styling at the opening and near the end looked really washed out & overly white, which looked pretty bad. The lip flap was tacky and should have been removed. Overall flow of the video was average, but the story telling worked decently well.
95 – Was an okay upbeat video, but wasn't really anything special and pretty tacky.
97 – Interesting concept, but had poor lipsync, the wrong AR, and poor handling of the footage...CROP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
98 – Absolutely shit quality footage and horribly edited...watched about 10 seconds and turned off...not even worthy of the title “youtube AMV”...
101 – Pretty basic action AMV...no real concept, just tons of action clips pasted together, nothing special about this one...
102 – Interesting source choices, pretty well edited, but lots of lip flap that could have been removed. Good job with the story flow and was entertaining.
105 – Video struggled with flow and it seemed like the cut pacing changed up randomly not keeping a consistent sync. Story was decently clear, but at the same time was rather dull and uninteresting, which is mostly the fault of the source.
109 – Needed more twitch...
110 – Pretty good pacing for an action video, but the lip flap and shitty video quality really kill this video.
113 – The mask transitions were super obvious and VERY distracting. Concept was okay, but the horrible effects and transitions look really bad.
115 – The multiple layers made it hard to see anything, but the overall concept was okay, that said, the randomly changing font styles, horrible color choices making some of the text unreadable, and tacky effects really hurt this video.
132 – Footage was a bit over filtered, but the overall flow of the video and story progression was decent. There were also some clips that were choppy, probably from speed manipulation.
134 – Overlay at the beginning was awful, the clips were too slow for the song and the video pacing just DRAGGED...clip quality was pretty awful and there was also the TV station logo staring at me the entire time...
135 – Shit quality...not worth watching...
136 – Choppy low quality footage footage with tons of artifacts...concept was not there...STOP USING THIS SONG PEOPLE!
138 – Interesting concept, I enjoyed it. The video was very well edited, but the image sources could have been cleaned up a bit better.
140 – The text felt unnecessary and there was lip flap that needed to be cut out. Song and anime fit decently well, but the flow was a bit off at parts and the overlaying was very tacky.
156 – One of the better live action videos in terms of action, but some of the pacing felt a little awkward. Overall a decently edited video, but it gave me little reason to re-watch. There was also some choppy footage at some parts.
163 – Very good flow upbeat video and was fun to watch despite the lack of any concept or link between the sources. Did seem a bit random to be mostly action with a break in the middle for dancing...although overall it feels more like an action video.
167 – Visual flow and story progression is well handled, although like many other videos, there is some lip flap that should have been removed. Overall a pretty enjoyable video.
downloading the entries now. reading your reviews the whole time thinking "ohhhhhh is he talking about mine??" >_O

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:57 pm

Rider4Z wrote:downloading the entries now. reading your reviews the whole time thinking "ohhhhhh is he talking about mine??" >_O
Yeah, same here. Nice to know he absolutely hated the video I spent so much time working on :evil:

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:54 pm

SailorDeath wrote:
Rider4Z wrote:downloading the entries now. reading your reviews the whole time thinking "ohhhhhh is he talking about mine??" >_O
Yeah, same here. Nice to know he absolutely hated the video I spent so much time working on :evil:
:uhoh: ...derp... :dino:

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:32 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote: :uhoh: ...derp... :dino:
see whatchu did :rofl: *pat pat*

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:53 pm

Alrighty!

Video #2
Spoiler :
Video #3
Spoiler :
Video #4
Spoiler :
Video #5
Spoiler :
Video #6
Spoiler :
Video #7
Spoiler :
Video #8
Spoiler :
Video #9
Spoiler :
Video #10
Spoiler :
Video #11
Spoiler :
Video #12
Spoiler :
Video #13
Spoiler :
Video #14
Spoiler :
Video #15
Spoiler :
Video #16
Spoiler :
Video #17
Spoiler :
Video #18
Spoiler :
Video #19
Spoiler :
Video #20
Spoiler :
Video #21
Spoiler :
Video #22
Spoiler :
Video #30
Spoiler :
Video #33
Spoiler :
Video #39
Spoiler :
Video #44
Spoiler :
Video #46
Spoiler :
Video #48
Spoiler :
Video #50
Spoiler :
Video #51
Spoiler :
Video #68
Spoiler :
Video #70
Spoiler :
Video #71
Spoiler :
Video #72-73

Video #74
Spoiler :
Video #75
Spoiler :
Video #78
Spoiler :
Video #79
Spoiler :
Video #80
Spoiler :
Video #89
Spoiler :
Video #90
Spoiler :
Video #95
Spoiler :
Video #97
Spoiler :
Video #98
Spoiler :
Video #101
Spoiler :
Video #102
Spoiler :
Video #105
Spoiler :
Video #109
Spoiler :
Video #110
Spoiler :
Video #113
Spoiler :
Video #115
Spoiler :
Video #132
Spoiler :
Video #134
Spoiler :
Video #135
Spoiler :
Video #136
Spoiler :
Video #138
Spoiler :
Video #140
Spoiler :
Video #163
Spoiler :
Video #167
Spoiler :
Shoot, I fucked some of them up. Must have hit escape when trying to back out of a text box in photoshop.
Last edited by SailorDeath on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “AMV Contests”