The AWA 2013 Video Review Thread -- Final Voting RIGHT NOW!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Ghet
Org Profile

Re: The AWA 2013 Video Review Thread

Post by Ghet » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:05 pm

MycathatesyouAMV wrote:
Spoiler :
#3: My donger. It has been raised.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:11 pm

Well here is my 2 cents... mind you very quick initial viewing.
Spoiler :
002 - The pace of the editing did not match the music imho
003 - Good for a Hentai video, but not a fan of the super zoom shots as it looked blurry
004 - Not bad, but needless effects and not a fan of the constant zoom in. Makes me feel like it is eye candy… not bad but not filling / memorable. (need to re-watch)
005 – ehhh… if you are going to try to do lip sync then do a better job
006 – Pretty video, but didn’t really get a story due the the music / editing. (need to re-watch)
007 - I didn’t feel the editing really took advantage of the music
008 - I didn’t get much from the random music + random anime… but the editing overall was good (need to re-watch)
009 - Ok… huh?
010 - Not the best sync, but decent pairing of anime / song (need to re-watch)
011 - Effects are a bit too much imho and could be toned down. Quality of source varied as well… and a lot of fast mish mash cool looking action doesn’t equal good sync / edit as a lot of the impact of the music is completely missed in this video. (need to re-watch)
012 - Rather long and some clips were too long in places… a lot of the impact of the music is missed in the editing. Could have been really good with more work.
013 – Much more an motion / effects graphics video with anime sprinkled in… still awesome video, but what is it? Drama? Like I said more of effects video as I was more interested in the graphics / technique and didn't get a story as the anime wasn't the star.
014 - Ehh...
015 - Enjoyed the theme and while the opening was tight the video got very loose editing wise in the middle parts. Still enjoyable... (need to re-watch)
016 - Except for a couple minor things really enjoyed this video (need to re-watch)
017 - Gimmic / gag video what went on for too long. The text effects seemed like little effort was put into them as well.
018 – Fun video that has a great start, but the video gets very lazy in the middle! This is also where the lipsync goes as well… the video probably could have been half as long and tighter as this video would have had much more impact if it was short and sweet. I started out loving this video, but as it progressed the whole of it left me disappointed.
019 - Very interesting, but the editing doesn’t capture the mood / flow of the music enough for me. If you do instrumental it really has to capture the music. This was very close… but the sync is off a lot which is a shame. (need to re-watch)
020 - Not memorable
021 - Pretty good action and enjoyed the pairing of anime / song. I did feel the editing could have been better in parts where the impactful parts of the music were not being used. Like other hyper action videos there are a bunch of fast cuts in some parts where the sync is not on. (need to re-watch)
022 - Video issues and wasn’t feeling the editing with the music
030 - The editing / sync is lacking… interesting concept (need to re-watch)
033 - Lazy editing / sync in a lot of the slow parts and not a fan of the effects
039 - Pretty song… had some sync / flow issues for me and I didn’t care for the overlays so much. So so
044 - Great sync and funny usage of a dramatic trailer song in a comedic form… this is NC-17? Could have been cropped... and not really bad looking video for a 15+ year old source.
046 - When does this come out? Great song / editing / flow and this should be the trailer for this movie.
048 - Simple video and basic editing… felt it could have flowed better with the music in parts. (need to re-watch)
050 – Very good parody
051 – Source looked off for it being on BR and some lip flap, but 3d isn’t easy to deal with. The editing is a bit loose for the song… not bad, but not memorable.
068 – I actually thought of this same combo… touching and pretty good. The editing could be a little tighter. The lip flap is noticeable, but I enjoyed the photo effect. (need to re-watch)
070 – The editing for this video is a bit too slow / lazy for my taste where it doesn’t seem connected to the music.
071 - The simple editing that doesn’t take full advantage of the music imho...
073 - Very crude… but amusing and didn’t overstay its welcome time wise. Too bad there was lip flap, but this is more deserving of a NC-17 vs #44
074 - Missed sync out of the gate for me… the concept of the source and song also didn’t fit for me
075 - Interesting and usually I dislike random overlaying
078 - Very interesting, but the sync / editing is off in areas… really like the song / source combo tho (need to re-watch)
079 – Not bad! Some editing misses, but overall very enjoyable (need to re-watch)
080 – Interesting intro, but I felt it could have been better… editing / sync is lacking in the video as well. It would have been more interesting if the 3 media types are more intertwined.
090 – Almost too washed out at the start… so lip flap and overall I wasn’t feeling a connection to this.
095 - Good lead into for a parody, but then the music starts… should have just been the beginning part
097 - Loved the concept, but the execution was lacking and scenes random (need to re-watch)
098 - Source needs to be better
101 – Due to the music I thought this should be NC-17… the music is a bit of a non-starter for me
102 - Loved the music and source… some parts I felt the editing was a bit loose and there was some lip flap. Still I really enjoyed this video. (need to re-watch)
105 – I had issues with the flow / pacing of the editing
109 - Source could have been better… so so
110 - Issues with the lack of sync / editing… not a fan of the overlays
113 - Right out of the gate flow / sync issues with the music and video… looks great, but not matching the flow of the music as good as it could. Once the song gets going it gets much better. Random action + tons of effects and still some missed editing / sync parts, but over all fun upbeat / hyper action. (need to re-watch)
115 - Why the over dubbing! The music was great by itself… also if you are going to do text make it look good. I almost wish there was a version of this without all the extra stuff. (need to re-watch)
132 - Interesting song… but the quality sounded a bit off. Kinda intrigued by this video... (need to re-watch)
134 – The sync out of the gate was lacking
135 - no comment
136 – lack of sync and quality issues
138 - Very different and enjoyable lol… but more expo imho
140 - Dig the song and start… not bad, but sync is off in some parts (need to re-watch)
163 - PG ehhh??? I have some sync issues with this video + random as the music is a bit chill yet a ton of action / killing is going on. Still not bad
167 - Simple and enjoyable… the cuts seem a bit too frequent and hard often for a softer song
Old Maboroshi Studio "snarky old Joe" comments
Spoiler :
1) Really do people listen to their music?
2) mish mash random action and effects woohoo... this is awesome freaking awesome! Oh wait just missed a major edit point in the song... who cares everything is moving so fast!
3) Could I get a crap load of overlays with a side of ugly looking text please?
4) haha that was a funny gimmic / gag video man... btw those only work for about a MINUTE so you might not want to have it run for 3!
5) Just because you can use effects doesn't mean you should...
6) wow this source is so pretty I am just not going to pay attention to the editing... I mean that is way more important.
Bizzaro Maboroshi "current Joe" comments
Spoiler :
1) Damn you guys either have no life or way too much free time... some of those videos are insane and I hate to think of the time some of you spent on them!
2) I think there needs to be a new Action category... HYPER / EFFECT Action
3) People need to listen to their music more imho... so many videos with so much potential where the song is not being used to its fullest. A lot of videos I had sync / flow issues with.
4) Honestly great job everyone and I hope I don't offend anyone with my comments above... takes heart and dedication to make AMVs
Last edited by MaboroshiStudio on Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:38 pm

I watched the videos, I wrote things, I didn't correct my grammar or always bother with full sentences. This is the result:
Spoiler :
02. Pretty good, but it get monotonous and story/concept isn’t very clear. Good sync, though there are some scenes that are too dynamic for music.
03. In the famous words of Yakko Warner, “Goodnight Everybody!”
04. Some sweet scenes. Over synced at times, pacing sometimes good, sometimes too fast. Camera movement is distracting, very. Kinda overworked.
05. Needed more effort.
06. Impressive technical work, great visual flow, captures interest throughout… but if there’s a story I didn’t get it, and I had no real emotional response either
07. Visual quality is good. At least it’s all cell animation and has a clear theme. Pacing never varies. Musicality is low. Concept is insipid.
08. Some musicality. No cohesion. No concept. Needed camera movement.
09. There were a lot of characters for one voice, but I think the rant was a lot more entertaining for having the visuals.
10. Pretty good. Intensity of the song isn’t always matched by the editing. First half weaker than second half.
11. Less would have been more.
12. Decent. Beginning could have had stronger sync/pacing, some of the scene selection was questionable (it all fit theme, but wasn’t always organized well).
13. High-end candy video. Most effects didn’t seem particularly tailored to lyric sync. Major opening abuse. Scene selection and lip sync were only ok. Effects work well- executed.
14. Blink-Blink
15. Seen this concept done better elsewhere. Editing is lazy.
16. Was k. Seemed like author couldn’t decide what to sync, the result was disjointed and unpolished. Interesting scene choices and pairing help it, though.
17. And yet the editor clearly did give a fuck. (Also the bastard stole my check marks!)
18. Ok
19. Good story telling
20. Unpolished. Romantic focus, not much more to the concept.
21. There’s some good tech work and sync, but there’s no delicacy. Constant movement and highly detailed scenes led to a degree of eyestrain and monotony.
22. That aliasing was distracting, the various made no sense, the concept was unclear, and those slide transitions with hard cuts were in poor taste.
30. I don’t get it.
33. Very long. Some good sync. Unpolished.
39. It was a video. Was it lyric synced? I have no way of knowing. Color effects were a mostly good.
44. Sync is good, more should have been done to clean the anime.
46. Enjoyed it. Needs a better f-ing title though.
48. Cute enough. Very obnoxious song, simple editing.
50. Short and sweet. Logical parody.
51. Pacing issues sometimes, Song doesn’t always synergize well, especially for the first half. Has toothless ^_^
68. Very cute, but the fades to black are ugly. Would have been better raw than with the bleh transitions. The photo thing at the end was meh, too.
70. Had its moments, quality of the tech work is mixed, and I don’t get the gears, or probably the concept as a whole.
71. Undersynced, lyric sync is solid. Uses a common song without bringing much that’s new.
72. Some of the editing is like, so 5 years ago… but it was silly and entertaining and attention-deficit (and funnier for the attention deficit).
73. I liked 72 better
74. Sync is mostly good. Visual flow is mostly lacking.
75. It needed clearer story-telling for the first 9/10. It has style, but needs more conscientious of scene selection. Still held my attention throughout. (Which is more of compliment than it sounds)
78. Musicality could be improved. Flow could use some polish, but it was very enjoyable.
79. Decent, but needs better musicality.
80. Interesting how the sources were combined, but kinda off-putting initially. Cute though. Short and sweet.
90. Same as every other After Story video… not bad, just not different
95. Still blinking.
97. You tried, but not hard enough.
98. I sometimes feel once you’ve seen one Naruto video, you’ve seen them all.
101. Good. Sources aren’t a natural combination, but good attention to pacing/flow integrated them well.
102. Good combo. Pacing didn’t keep up with music for major swaths.
105. Pretty good. Could use some refinement, but it worked.
109. No comment.
110. Very average.
113. Overworked. Some cool moments, some cool effects, but effects aren’t purposeful. A number of bad effects.
115. It’s a visual media-- show us, don’t tell us.
132. Decent.
134. One of the three most obnoxious songs so far.
135. “Needs Improvement”
136. This song sounds awfully familiar. Hmmmmm…
138. Best MMV NA. Could use a bit of cleaning, but so entertaining!
140. Strong video despite some questionable text, and some even worse text.
163. Has some really good parts, but the integration of sources is often terrible, and shows some very bad decision making in keeping all those sources in. Musicality is great at parts, and off at others.
167. Cute. Still needs polish.

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:25 am

Mine are in folder order :shark:
Spoiler :
2 - Kinda lost me when the bridge kicked in, watching people swat paper doesn't really give me da feelz.

4 - Glad you used this song well :P

7 - lol, I like this but Radical Yue introduce me to the disney face swap meme which just makes me laugh everytime I try to watch it X3

8 - Yes.

13 - Not what I was expecting when I saw the lineup. I liked it :D And usually I hate text in vids. Thank you for not spelling anything wrong (that I could see)

14 - Subtitles D:

48 - Twerk? :O Kidding. Cute :]

50 - Methinks I have seen better parodies :P

51 - Could have used some stronger pacing. Feel too slow to me :O

68 - Ellie Goulding AMV? I SHALL KEEP IT FOREVERRRRRRRR

74 - LMAO. *thumbs up*

78 - I couldn't get into this.

80 - <3 <3 Captures them really well.

44 - *BRRRRRRRRR* (boobs) *BRRRRRRR* (boobs) I lol'ed

72 - Ok I did laugh at 'WE'RE FREE' :P

16 - I quite enjoyed this :O

19 - Cool.

20 - Mmm I don't think this combination worked for me.

33 - Sweet :]

39 - Shiny.

46 - I do like me some sweeping instrumentals.

90 - I couldn't really get into it, well done but didn't give me feels :X

95 - lol.

102 - NOES WE DROPPED THE CAT.

113 - The constant zooming made me dizzy @_@

163 - Yep, this is pretty cool.

167 - I like the medieval flair going on here :3

6 - This was pretty and all, but I didn't really get anything out of it. Kind of Adam and Eve-esque? (Haven't seen the series, so I don't get it I guess?)

9 - Best title?

10 - Combo works really well, but it didn't really build to anything for me :o, was pretty steady the whole way through so didn't really stand out?

11 - SCREEEEEEEEAAAAMO, everything about this is really fast and whatnot that nothing seems to hit for me.

12 - Very goooooood.

15 - Yep, I approve. Did feel kinda slow in places but I can't even begin to figure out how I would sync this, so I will just go with, Yep, I approve :3

18 - haha the duck dancin X3

21 - :3 good stuffs. (I almost did the same combo but couldn't make it work, went with Blood C myself, so happy to see this combo come together so well :3)

22 - I don't know this didn't seem cohesive for me.

70 - You know, I liked this. Not the kind of FLCL vid I'm used to, but I think it worked pretty well :)

71 - Cheese :P

75 - Good progression, but maybe because I've never watched eF nothing really hit for me? Seemed like there was lots of emotion going on, but it didn't build to anything for me. Good editing though~

79 - Pretty badass :D

97 - O_o

98 - Good effort! Keep it up :O

105 - Love the mood in this.

109 - I don't think I like the shake effect that's going on here.

110 - So apparently I should watch this show. Does look pretty cool.

115 - Interesting combo :O

132 - OOO this song. Good feelz going on here.

134 - o_O needs work on pacing >>

135 - THE DIV X LOGO IN ALL IT'S GLORY. AND SUBTITLES. This vid has it all :P

136 - Denied.

138 - :dances:

140 - I like it. I will even forgive the (what I consider) unnecessary text effects :P)

005 - MMk.

17 - This is me not giving a fuh, oh wait too easy X3

30 - I did like the characterization based on the medley x3

101 - My thumbs they are up for the editing X3
My faves were in no particular order; 13, 9, 16, 140 and 4. :] Shoutout to 101 for the editing (just not a fan of the song, so likely won't keep the vid :P)

#

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:17 am

MaboroshiStudio wrote:Well here is my 2 cents... mind you very quick initial viewing.
Spoiler :
002 - The pace of the editing did not match the music imho
003 - Good for a Hentai video, but not a fan of the super zoom shots as it looked blurry
004 - Not bad, but needless effects and not a fan of the constant zoom in. Makes me feel like it is eye candy… not bad but not filling / memorable. (need to re-watch)
005 – ehhh… if you are going to try to do lip sync then do a better job
006 – Pretty video, but didn’t really get a story due the the music / editing. (need to re-watch)
007 - I didn’t feel the editing really took advantage of the music
008 - I didn’t get much from the random music + random anime… but the editing overall was good (need to re-watch)
009 - Ok… huh?
010 - Not the best sync, but decent pairing of anime / song (need to re-watch)
011 - Effects are a bit too much imho and could be toned down. Quality of source varied as well… and a lot of fast mish mash cool looking action doesn’t equal good sync / edit as a lot of the impact of the music is completely missed in this video. (need to re-watch)
012 - Rather long and some clips were too long in places… a lot of the impact of the music is missed in the editing. Could have been really good with more work.
013 – Much more an motion / effects graphics video with anime sprinkled in… still awesome video, but what is it? Drama? Like I said more of effects video as I was more interested in the graphics / technique and didn't get a story as the anime wasn't the star.
014 - Ehh...
015 - Enjoyed the theme and while the opening was tight the video got very loose editing wise in the middle parts. Still enjoyable... (need to re-watch)
016 - Except for a couple minor things really enjoyed this video (need to re-watch)
017 - Gimmic / gag video what went on for too long. The text effects seemed like little effort was put into them as well.
018 – Fun video that has a great start, but the video gets very lazy in the middle! This is also where the lipsync goes as well… the video probably could have been half as long and tighter as this video would have had much more impact if it was short and sweet. I started out loving this video, but as it progressed the whole of it left me disappointed.
019 - Very interesting, but the editing doesn’t capture the mood / flow of the music enough for me. If you do instrumental it really has to capture the music. This was very close… but the sync is off a lot which is a shame. (need to re-watch)
020 - Not memorable
021 - Pretty good action and enjoyed the pairing of anime / song. I did feel the editing could have been better in parts where the impactful parts of the music were not being used. Like other hyper action videos there are a bunch of fast cuts in some parts where the sync is not on. (need to re-watch)
022 - Video issues and wasn’t feeling the editing with the music
030 - The editing / sync is lacking… interesting concept (need to re-watch)
033 - Lazy editing / sync in a lot of the slow parts and not a fan of the effects
039 - Pretty song… had some sync / flow issues for me and I didn’t care for the overlays so much. So so
044 - Great sync and funny usage of a dramatic trailer song in a comedic form… this is NC-17? Could have been cropped... and not really bad looking video for a 15+ year old source.
046 - When does this come out? Great song / editing / flow and this should be the trailer for this movie.
048 - Simple video and basic editing… felt it could have flowed better with the music in parts. (need to re-watch)
050 – Very good parody
051 – Source looked off for it being on BR and some lip flap, but 3d isn’t easy to deal with. The editing is a bit loose for the song… not bad, but not memorable.
068 – I actually thought of this same combo… touching and pretty good. The editing could be a little tighter. The lip flap is noticeable, but I enjoyed the photo effect. (need to re-watch)
070 – The editing for this video is a bit too slow / lazy for my taste where it doesn’t seem connected to the music.
071 - The simple editing that doesn’t take full advantage of the music imho...
073 - Very crude… but amusing and didn’t overstay its welcome time wise. Too bad there was lip flap, but this is more deserving of a NC-17 vs #44
074 - Missed sync out of the gate for me… the concept of the source and song also didn’t fit for me
075 - Interesting and usually I dislike random overlaying
078 - Very interesting, but the sync / editing is off in areas… really like the song / source combo tho (need to re-watch)
079 – Not bad! Some editing misses, but overall very enjoyable (need to re-watch)
080 – Interesting intro, but I felt it could have been better… editing / sync is lacking in the video as well. It would have been more interesting if the 3 media types are more intertwined.
090 – Almost too washed out at the start… so lip flap and overall I wasn’t feeling a connection to this.
095 - Good lead into for a parody, but then the music starts… should have just been the beginning part
097 - Loved the concept, but the execution was lacking and scenes random (need to re-watch)
098 - Source needs to be better
101 – Due to the music I thought this should be NC-17… the music is a bit of a non-starter for me
102 - Loved the music and source… some parts I felt the editing was a bit loose and there was some lip flap. Still I really enjoyed this video. (need to re-watch)
105 – I had issues with the flow / pacing of the editing
109 - Source could have been better… so so
110 - Issues with the lack of sync / editing… not a fan of the overlays
113 - Right out of the gate flow / sync issues with the music and video… looks great, but not matching the flow of the music as good as it could. Once the song gets going it gets much better. Random action + tons of effects and still some missed editing / sync parts, but over all fun upbeat / hyper action. (need to re-watch)
115 - Why the over dubbing! The music was great by itself… also if you are going to do text make it look good. I almost wish there was a version of this without all the extra stuff. (need to re-watch)
132 - Interesting song… but the quality sounded a bit off. Kinda intrigued by this video... (need to re-watch)
134 – The sync out of the gate was lacking
135 - no comment
136 – lack of sync and quality issues
138 - Very different and enjoyable lol… but more expo imho
140 - Dig the song and start… not bad, but sync is off in some parts (need to re-watch)
163 - PG ehhh??? I have some sync issues with this video + random as the music is a bit chill yet a ton of action / killing is going on. Still not bad
167 - Simple and enjoyable… the cuts seem a bit too frequent and hard often for a softer song
Old Maboroshi Studio "snarky old Joe" comments
Spoiler :
1) Really do people listen to their music?
2) mish mash random action and effects woohoo... this is awesome freaking awesome! Oh wait just missed a major edit point in the song... who cares everything is moving so fast!
3) Could I get a crap load of overlays with a side of ugly looking text please?
4) haha that was a funny gimmic / gag video man... btw those only work for about a MINUTE so you might not want to have it run for 3!
5) Just because you can use effects doesn't mean you should...
6) wow this source is so pretty I am just not going to pay attention to the editing... I mean that is way more important.
Bizzaro Maboroshi "current Joe" comments
Spoiler :
1) Damn you guys either have no life or way too much free time... some of those videos are insane and I hate to think of the time some of you spent on them!
2) I think there needs to be a new Action category... HYPER / EFFECT Action
3) People need to listen to their music more imho... so many videos with so much potential where the song is not being used to its fullest. A lot of videos I had sync / flow issues with.
4) Honestly great job everyone and I hope I don't offend anyone with my comments above... takes heart and dedication to make AMVs
Sounds about right. :P
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:06 am

WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE MY AMV?!
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:44 am

SailorDeath wrote:
Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i.imgur.com/1NZze8y.png
Now I'm really curious as to which one you made...so long to wait to find out, lol...
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:58 am

SailorDeath wrote:
Quoted Image converted to link:
http://i.imgur.com/1NZze8y.png

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing actually. Some of the criticism I get and I blame it on me being out of practice a bit (my editing schedule really did get fouled up by AX so I forgot A LOT of things and I was editing last minute whereas normally I'd have finished my pro entry back in May).
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

-Corsair-
Org Profile

Post by -Corsair- » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:10 pm

After reading the comments...I've realized I can't do comedy. @__@

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:13 pm

-Corsair- wrote:After reading the comments...I've realized I can't do comedy. @__@
Comedy's very hit or miss. I wouldn't necessarily give up on it after a single flop.
ImageImage

Return to “AMV Contests”