The AWA 2013 Video Review Thread -- Final Voting RIGHT NOW!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Re: The AWA 2013 Video Review Thread -- Now with more con dr

Post by Mr Pilkington » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:17 am

Damnit, the thread name changed.

Fine, here is a nude to satiate the former thread title:
Spoiler :

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:59 am

Not every one is doing it, which is evident from these results alone
What results?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:36 am

I remember loving how blind AWA really was when it first started... since I was a bit of a prick if people knew which video was mine they wouldn't have voted for them! HAHA

Last time I went to AWA about 5 years ago it came off to me that the contest could easily be gamed via groups / popularity voting. Now that doesn't mean this that is what happened or that people were doing it. I would hope / expect people have integrity and that nobody is doing this.

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:27 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Not every one is doing it, which is evident from these results alone
What results?
The confusion and outrage. At the time this post was conceived the idea of video sharing was proposed as is "everyone does it. Oh well." But clearly that isn't the case. So really the post should incite the reaction it did. It was probably alarmist on my behalf, but I would hope most have been around me long enough to know I stray from the con drama. If this (clearly) isn't the epidemic it was slated to be, then great. I am GLAD to be wrong and I hope it continues that way. I have faith in this community, which is why I was floored in the first place and, as a hobby, I've kept at editing for damn near 14 years. So, ignore the rage-fest and continue with the reviews. I just hope the people that incited this see the very clear error. It's probably rude to say it that way, but again, you people know i'm going to speak my mind so we'll get over it an move on. :up:

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:44 pm

Well.. PRO is what the creators make it to be in terms of judging. In essence it's the creator's contest as the rules only are there to create a level playing field for everyone is the way I see it.

Maybe some of the confusion is what BLIND judging is.. Now I totally understand the best approach is to not know who made it.. Agreed.. But then there is also those that judge on other criteria like "Hey look, it's my favorite anime so it's got my vote" And yes, that applies to creators just like an audience.

To me Blind judging is not letting the popularity of influence of the creator, song or Anime make the judgment of how good a video is. the is TRUE Blind Judging the video for it's attributes overall instead of decision based solely on the song, creator or anime regales if you know al three or not (well, two might be hard not to know if you watch the AMV!)

When I select Videos for any of my AMV Blocks I do at cons, of course the criteria is different (I must take the audience into account), but even though I see the creator's name on a video, or I love the music or Anime, I try to pick regardless of my personal preferences of what will be best for the block and the audience will enjoy in some form or another. Hence I try to judge "Blind". I really wish I could watch a lot more to try to get the gems out there, but that quite impossible due to the shear volume.

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:16 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
When I select Videos for any of my AMV Blocks I do at cons, of course the criteria is different (I must take the audience into account), but even though I see the creator's name on a video, or I love the music or Anime, I try to pick regardless of my personal preferences of what will be best for the block and the audience will enjoy in some form or another. Hence I try to judge "Blind". I really wish I could watch a lot more to try to get the gems out there, but that quite impossible due to the shear volume.

Vlad
I always found it funny how some creators like to think if you made a video that specifically targets the audience and gets them worked up is cheating. I always care more about whether people like my videos or whether it got a good reaction to the audience instead of winning a prize. Sure, I still would love one, but I don't get too butthurt if I lose.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Ghet
Org Profile

Post by Ghet » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote: At the time this post was conceived the idea of video sharing was proposed as is "everyone does it. Oh well." But clearly that isn't the case.
I think this is the case, mostly on account of some miscommunications that happened at the viewing. I think that by a kneejerk reaction people assumed that me saying "I don't mind knowing the editor" (on a purely personal level because I don't think that it influences my judging or opinion on the video) may have been taken as "nobody gives a fuck" and that wasn't my intention.

-Corsair-
Org Profile

Post by -Corsair- » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:49 pm

Sorry for my nub interjection...but when are categories determined? >_<

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:20 pm

-Corsair- wrote:Sorry for my nub interjection...but when are categories determined? >_<
According to Jingoro's schedule in the other AWA thread, categories should've been determined today and the finalist nominations begun.
ImageImage

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:22 pm

-Corsair- wrote:Sorry for my nub interjection...but when are categories determined? >_<

Right now is the category selection phase. Jingoro should have e-mailed everyone with a link to go to a site and submit a form where you list the categories you would like to see. I believe either today or tomorrow that phase ends and next comes the category nominations phase. Where we submit videos to be in specific categories (eg funny videos go to comedy, your absolute most favorite video goes to best of show, etc) Then this Thursday the final voting starts, where we look at the top 5 or so videos in each category and vote for the one we feel deserves that award the most.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Return to “AMV Contests”