The Video Art Track at Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013 VAT AWA

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Re: The Video Art Track at Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013 VAT AW

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:57 pm

*edit edit edit edit jacket jacket jacket jacket*

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Rider4Z wrote:*edit edit edit edit jacket jacket jacket jacket*
*Insert HMV Joke*
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:49 pm

so i re-read thru the rules and i just want to be clear about bumpers. Bumpers/credits are NOT allowed for the Pro contest, but ARE allowed for Expo and Masters. << is this correct?

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Rider4Z wrote:so i re-read thru the rules and i just want to be clear about bumpers. Bumpers/credits are NOT allowed for the Pro contest, but ARE allowed for Expo and Masters. << is this correct?
You shouldn't have credits for masters as it's supposed to be anonymous.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:05 pm

Rider4Z wrote:so i re-read thru the rules and i just want to be clear about bumpers. Bumpers/credits are NOT allowed for the Pro contest, but ARE allowed for Expo and Masters. << is this correct?
Bumpers and credits are absolutely NOT allowed in Masters, as they would completely void the blind judging. In other news, bumpers and credits are the scourge of the community, and if I could bludgeon y'all into agreement on this I'd never ever have to watch another one and would be a happy man.

Make videos, not bumpers. :-P

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:23 pm

mk. you might clarify that in the rules. it's clearly written under the Pro competition but not the others. :sorcerer:

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Wow I can't believe I missed that.
Identification: Submissions to this contest must be free of any creator identification, including but not limited to studio bumpers or credit rolls. We strongly suggest one second of black silence before and after your submission and nothing more. We also ask that participants make a reasonable effort to keep their identity as an editor participating in this contest a secret from the Video Art Track director.
Fixed... thank you very, very much for pointing this out. I will have someone on staff review the masters videos for such identification prior to judging and we will work around it this year, since I left this out until now.

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:31 pm

Bumpers aren't all bad. Especially when the point of it is blended well with the video. Like a parody of a movie trailer. The other thing they used to be good for was keeping some dumb shit from stealing your credit for an amv. Nowadays people just use a watermark. But they only work for stand alone downloads on the org. When it comes to a competition, one should NOT tack on Credits for the sake of uniformity in the contest.

Makes me laugh though cause I remember a few years back when I submitted my otaku star amv to awa and they revealed my identity since they didn't realize that I was also the one who wrote the song. So my studio name was visible when the other competitors downloaded the videos.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Can you clarify something jingoro? Does Pro now have a "you can't get feedback from betas" mandate for WiP versions of files? Because I thought you had addressed that before when coming up with these rules and said the new rules wouldn't mess with people's creative process. I'm hearing that others don't agree on that point...

Also, the rules seem to be worded differently in different places... Your TL;DR version for Pro implies submitting to another contest before the con is a nono, while the long version seems to say it can't be shown prior to the con dates... which is it? (I'm asking this as a contest coordinator for a contest with a deadline the week after AWA).
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:04 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Can you clarify something jingoro? Does Pro now have a "you can't get feedback from betas" mandate for WiP versions of files? Because I thought you had addressed that before when coming up with these rules and said the new rules wouldn't mess with people's creative process. I'm hearing that others don't agree on that point...

Also, the rules seem to be worded differently in different places... Your TL;DR version for Pro implies submitting to another contest before the con is a nono, while the long version seems to say it can't be shown prior to the con dates... which is it? (I'm asking this as a contest coordinator for a contest with a deadline the week after AWA).
I'm not 100% on this but I think he's saying if he can find it on the org/youtube or a google search or if it was played at a con before awa's showing is what he means by shown.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Return to “AMV Contests”