The Video Art Track at Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013 VAT AWA

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: The Video Art Track at Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013 VAT AW

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:46 pm

jingoro wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:some people felt the rules said that we're not allowed to solicit feedback from other people, i.e. "beta" our entries)
So long as soliciting feedback doesn't involve public distribution, you're fine with soliciting feedback. This goes directly to my comments on the other half of your question... if you solicit feedback in a way that lets someone lodge a complaint with "evidence I can verify", then I cannot tell the difference between you soliciting feedback and the proscribed advance distribution.
Personally I think soliciting feedback from others you know are going to participate in Pro should be discouraged simply because it really goes against the whole anonymity that it's supposed to have. We all know it's going to happen and there is no way to prove it, but I still think it should be discouraged.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:03 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
jingoro wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:some people felt the rules said that we're not allowed to solicit feedback from other people, i.e. "beta" our entries)
So long as soliciting feedback doesn't involve public distribution, you're fine with soliciting feedback. This goes directly to my comments on the other half of your question... if you solicit feedback in a way that lets someone lodge a complaint with "evidence I can verify", then I cannot tell the difference between you soliciting feedback and the proscribed advance distribution.
Personally I think soliciting feedback from others you know are going to participate in Pro should be discouraged simply because it really goes against the whole anonymity that it's supposed to have. We all know it's going to happen and there is no way to prove it, but I still think it should be discouraged.
I don't disagree, but with no effective way to police it, my opinion means little.

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:04 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
jingoro wrote:
I swore I also read somewhere about being careful where you put it if you're not submitting the file directly (in other words providing a link). Last thing any of us want is to have our video show up on a site like YT that was submitted by someone other than yourself. I've shown my entry to a couple people whom I asked if they were competing first for feedback. But that's because I prefer it to be a surprise to those who are competing.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:34 pm

jingoro wrote:
It'd be pretty pointless to be betaing your final version anyways... and per your previous distinction, anything other than the final, submitted version is technically not the same video. :lol:
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:40 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
jingoro wrote:
It'd be pretty pointless to be betaing your final version anyways... and per your previous distinction, anything other than the final, submitted version is technically not the same video. :lol:
So, wait, if I remade one of my old videos that was say posted here a while ago, I could submit the remake and it wouldn't get DQ'd? Jingoro is that correct?

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:54 am

SailorDeath wrote: So, wait, if I remade one of my old videos that was say posted here a while ago, I could submit the remake and it wouldn't get DQ'd? Jingoro is that correct?
Is there no honor amongst editors left :P

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:21 am

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:
SailorDeath wrote: So, wait, if I remade one of my old videos that was say posted here a while ago, I could submit the remake and it wouldn't get DQ'd? Jingoro is that correct?
Is there no honor amongst editors left :P

Vlad

LOL, I don't want to try doing this. I've been a big proponent of the "original content only" rule in pro for a while now. I was just curious because if someone does submit a remake of a video thinking that it was technically a different video then I wouldn't want to see them get disqualified. I'm glad the beta question was answered, I don't think there's a creator out there that hasn't asked another creator to critique their video before submitting a video to a con for any last minute improvements.

Actually I just had an awesome idea for AWA's "Off" year in 2014. A remake challenge. That entrants take the first amv they ever made and use it as a guide and then they recreate it and submit it along with the original. Then a panel of AWA judges watch the original and the remake and determine who made the best remake. The only thing they need in common is the source and song. And the source could even be generalize to a specific series. Like if your original version used the Vision of Escaflowne tv series and you want to use the Escaflowne movie instead. Or if your song was the record version and you want to use the live recording.

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:57 pm

Though legions of fans would differ, George Lucas insists that recent (edited) re-releases of Star Wars A New Hope are, in fact, the same movie made better. I think we'll go with that. If y'all don't want to be called "George" all through AWA, don't submit remakes. ;-)

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:25 am

This is it, down to the wire, edit edit edit and get those last minute entries completed.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:04 pm

yeah, i'm glad masters gets an extra week :shock:

Return to “AMV Contests”