The Video Art Track at Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013 VAT AWA

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Re: The Video Art Track at Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013 VAT AW

Postby Rider4Z » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:57 pm

*edit edit edit edit jacket jacket jacket jacket*
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Anime Conji AMV Contest Coordinator
Anime Vegas AMV Contest Co-coordinator
Rider4Z
Pirate King

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Rider4Z wrote:*edit edit edit edit jacket jacket jacket jacket*

*Insert HMV Joke*
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Rider4Z » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:49 pm

so i re-read thru the rules and i just want to be clear about bumpers. Bumpers/credits are NOT allowed for the Pro contest, but ARE allowed for Expo and Masters. << is this correct?
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Rider4Z
Pirate King

Postby l33tmeatwad » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:01 pm

Rider4Z wrote:so i re-read thru the rules and i just want to be clear about bumpers. Bumpers/credits are NOT allowed for the Pro contest, but ARE allowed for Expo and Masters. << is this correct?

You shouldn't have credits for masters as it's supposed to be anonymous.
Sites: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
Guides & Scripts: AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
l33tmeatwad

Postby jingoro » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:05 pm

Rider4Z wrote:so i re-read thru the rules and i just want to be clear about bumpers. Bumpers/credits are NOT allowed for the Pro contest, but ARE allowed for Expo and Masters. << is this correct?

Bumpers and credits are absolutely NOT allowed in Masters, as they would completely void the blind judging. In other news, bumpers and credits are the scourge of the community, and if I could bludgeon y'all into agreement on this I'd never ever have to watch another one and would be a happy man.

Make videos, not bumpers. :-P
jingoro

Postby Rider4Z » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:23 pm

mk. you might clarify that in the rules. it's clearly written under the Pro competition but not the others. :sorcerer:
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Rider4Z
Pirate King

Postby jingoro » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Wow I can't believe I missed that.
Identification: Submissions to this contest must be free of any creator identification, including but not limited to studio bumpers or credit rolls. We strongly suggest one second of black silence before and after your submission and nothing more. We also ask that participants make a reasonable effort to keep their identity as an editor participating in this contest a secret from the Video Art Track director.
Fixed... thank you very, very much for pointing this out. I will have someone on staff review the masters videos for such identification prior to judging and we will work around it this year, since I left this out until now.
jingoro

Postby SailorDeath » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:31 pm

Bumpers aren't all bad. Especially when the point of it is blended well with the video. Like a parody of a movie trailer. The other thing they used to be good for was keeping some dumb shit from stealing your credit for an amv. Nowadays people just use a watermark. But they only work for stand alone downloads on the org. When it comes to a competition, one should NOT tack on Credits for the sake of uniformity in the contest.

Makes me laugh though cause I remember a few years back when I submitted my otaku star amv to awa and they revealed my identity since they didn't realize that I was also the one who wrote the song. So my studio name was visible when the other competitors downloaded the videos.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....
SailorDeath

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Can you clarify something jingoro? Does Pro now have a "you can't get feedback from betas" mandate for WiP versions of files? Because I thought you had addressed that before when coming up with these rules and said the new rules wouldn't mess with people's creative process. I'm hearing that others don't agree on that point...

Also, the rules seem to be worded differently in different places... Your TL;DR version for Pro implies submitting to another contest before the con is a nono, while the long version seems to say it can't be shown prior to the con dates... which is it? (I'm asking this as a contest coordinator for a contest with a deadline the week after AWA).
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby SailorDeath » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:04 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Can you clarify something jingoro? Does Pro now have a "you can't get feedback from betas" mandate for WiP versions of files? Because I thought you had addressed that before when coming up with these rules and said the new rules wouldn't mess with people's creative process. I'm hearing that others don't agree on that point...

Also, the rules seem to be worded differently in different places... Your TL;DR version for Pro implies submitting to another contest before the con is a nono, while the long version seems to say it can't be shown prior to the con dates... which is it? (I'm asking this as a contest coordinator for a contest with a deadline the week after AWA).

I'm not 100% on this but I think he's saying if he can find it on the org/youtube or a google search or if it was played at a con before awa's showing is what he means by shown.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....
SailorDeath

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:47 pm

Which goes to show it needs to be clarified I think.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby ReggieSmalls » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Submitted my 2nd video
Am I the meanest? Sho'nuff !
Am I the prettiest? Sho'nuff !
Am I the baddest mofo low down around this town? Sho'nuff!
ReggieSmalls

Postby jingoro » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:42 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Can you clarify something jingoro? Does Pro now have a "you can't get feedback from betas" mandate for WiP versions of files? Because I thought you had addressed that before when coming up with these rules and said the new rules wouldn't mess with people's creative process. I'm hearing that others don't agree on that point...

I'm sorry, I thought I replied to this earlier, but I don't see my answer here, so here goes again. :-)

The restriction to new submissions in pro is new, and isn't as finely tuned as in Masters. We've tried to keep this friendly and reasonable, which might be the source of some of the ambiguity. My understanding was that the participants of Pro felt that asking for new submissions would step up the level of competition in Pro, and to that effect, the intent is that, when y'all get your set of videos for the judging, you will be seeing something new. You shouldn't recognize anyone's video from any other contest or award ceremony. As the director, it's my interest to have this be true for our audience at AWA as well... that those in attendance can come to the awards show knowing that they're going to see a lot of great new videos.

The long version is always the correct version over any of my comments or summaries... you may submit your video to other conventions as long as they do not distribute or screen your video (including judging copies, should they operate a contest similar to our professional awards) prior to the end of our awards show.

I don't have the time nor the will to police this strictly, so if it becomes a problem, it'll go down the way lodging a complaint in horse racing goes. Someone will email me saying someone's breaking the rules and will either provide me a link, a google search, a public forum post, or some other kind of evidence and we'll take it from there. Or someone will explain special circumstances to me in advance and I'll be prepared to explain if things are questioned. I've already had one person explain that though their video was submitted to another convention, because of technical problems it did not compete nor screen, a perfect example of something I hadn't anticipated, and I've let them know that submitting such a video to Pro is A-OK with me.

I hope this helps,
-Jingoro
jingoro

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:11 pm

jingoro wrote:

I'm sorry, I thought I replied to this earlier, but I don't see my answer here, so here goes again. :-)

The restriction to new submissions in pro is new, and isn't as finely tuned as in Masters. We've tried to keep this friendly and reasonable, which might be the source of some of the ambiguity. My understanding was that the participants of Pro felt that asking for new submissions would step up the level of competition in Pro, and to that effect, the intent is that, when y'all get your set of videos for the judging, you will be seeing something new. You shouldn't recognize anyone's video from any other contest or award ceremony. As the director, it's my interest to have this be true for our audience at AWA as well... that those in attendance can come to the awards show knowing that they're going to see a lot of great new videos.

The long version is always the correct version over any of my comments or summaries... you may submit your video to other conventions as long as they do not distribute or screen your video (including judging copies, should they operate a contest similar to our professional awards) prior to the end of our awards show.

I don't have the time nor the will to police this strictly, so if it becomes a problem, it'll go down the way lodging a complaint in horse racing goes. Someone will email me saying someone's breaking the rules and will either provide me a link, a google search, a public forum post, or some other kind of evidence and we'll take it from there. Or someone will explain special circumstances to me in advance and I'll be prepared to explain if things are questioned. I've already had one person explain that though their video was submitted to another convention, because of technical problems it did not compete nor screen, a perfect example of something I hadn't anticipated, and I've let them know that submitting such a video to Pro is A-OK with me.

I hope this helps,
-Jingoro

It does help, though i was more concerned with the first part that was less clear (i.e., some people felt the rules said that we're not allowed to solicit feedback from other people, i.e. "beta" our entries) rather than the last part - that was for other people's benefit who might be submitting to me for AAC.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby jingoro » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:42 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:some people felt the rules said that we're not allowed to solicit feedback from other people, i.e. "beta" our entries)
So long as soliciting feedback doesn't involve public distribution, you're fine with soliciting feedback. This goes directly to my comments on the other half of your question... if you solicit feedback in a way that lets someone lodge a complaint with "evidence I can verify", then I cannot tell the difference between you soliciting feedback and the proscribed advance distribution.
jingoro

PreviousNext

Return to AMV Contests