OK, well every AMV competition is supposed to have its problems.
So let's start from the top.
(1) The projector we borrowed from the university was very yellow
, the colour was right off, and nothing we did as far as colour correction goes was doing us any good.
(2) The computer that we were using was without WMP7, or any other media playlister (exp winamp). So I set up a bunch of fansubs and told one of my underlings to play them i such an order. While I drove home to burn BSplayer onto a CD... (very small burn)
(3) Once we got BSplayer onto the machine we couldn’t get the playlist working. We would figure out the next day that it was black on black.
(4) The computer we used had been heavily modified... fan settings on the front, what appeared to be a power outlet coming out from the front and a shitload of fans. And that's only what I could see.
The exact cause of the system failure is uncertain. So here are the two most talked about causes.
-1 Punistation's LAINstation
video was unearthly and did the impossible. MPEG1 and it refused to cooperate; every other video would play... but not this one (this file had been possessed or something). So we rebooted the computer to try again, that is we tried to reboot the computer to try again... (file NTOSKRNL.EXE is corrupted... blah blah blah)...
So we tried again... (No Hard Disk)...
-2 During the reboot either to get BSplayer working or before the AMV comp the fans were turned off and the computer cooked itself.
(5) During the AMV comp replay that luckily we already had scheduled on the timetable beforehand, I played the entries backwards so those that didn't get shown the first day would be seen first. Things went smoothly, right up until Cloudsdbz's
video. The new computer did not have the windows media codec. Hmm should I install it or should I skip the video... tough choice...
But after all of that, the event went smoothly.
Schizm a real AMV enthusiast who was also the head of security for the convention and has been a member of the org for a bloody long time
MAPPY the guy responsible for running AJAS (Adelaide Japanese Animation Society) and overall great guy.
First Place- Mitchell (Booyah) Chapman for his video Love (Hina) is so cruel
Second Place- Jen (Punistation) Butler for her video LAINstation
Third Place- Mitchell (Booyah) Chapman (again) for his video Cats and Cars
Due to a lack of entries, there was only one prize awarded. Which in itself wasn't all that spiffy. Poke'mon movie OST, X-files movie OST and a sampler DVD that we received from Madman
with 39 trailers and the first episode of Cowboy Bebop (which is still unavailable down here). We were going to send Punistation one for LAINstation doing the impossible but we had unfortunately run out of them.
Now I have to get some sleep. Expect a full review of the convention some time this week.