Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - WINNERS POSTED!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Tsu!
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2013 AMV Competition - FINALISTS POSTED!

Post by Tsu! » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:28 pm

NoisyNinja wrote:Thank you Tsu! That means a lot. I know I told you this in person, but I loved "50 Ways for your Partner to Die". My favorite scene was when Ashley got run over by the wagon and then later carried off by Los Iluminados while Leon just stood by and watched. In my opinion, it was the funniest video in the Fun/Humor category.
Hehe! Thank you! It's great to hear that because by the time I filmed Ashley being carried away I forgot to use my 1st person mod so Leon wouldn't be visible and I was kicking myself for it (I pulled a 35-hour filming/editing last run on this particular video) so I'm thrilled to hear that it was actually appealing to have him staring blankly at her doing nothing to help. XD

I greatly look forward to seeing your video again. My upload is going to be delayed by a few days due to a dead power adapter on my computer. :roll:
Fanime 2014-2015, 2018-2019 AMV Contest - Department Head
Fanime 2016-2017 AMV Contest - Lurking Department Second

neko kitkat
Org Profile

Post by neko kitkat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:58 am

It was a great AMV competition this year! It was fun being a finalist again! I was just happy to be apart of the show. I was a bit worried when the drama category was announced that some videos had controversial subjects and it just HIT ME that my amv would be considered as much. I didn't think about it when I made the video. I saw just a movie I love around Christmas, around the time Magi was coming out, and decided to put two and two to together. I can see how slavery and mentions of God can be a but touchy. Not everyone is religious or Jewish/Muslim/Christan/Catholic/Mormon and so on ( I respect all religions). I apologize if I offended anyone.

Anywho it was a great show! And everyone did a great job so I applaud you all. Congrats to all the winners too! oh on a side note, um I didn't know I was in best of none finalist XD but if its possible can you change my name to Nekokitkat, lol I think entered my real name when I submitted my Lionheart amv or something.

Again congrats to EVERYONE! It was nice to finally meet you Vlad and Troy. Thank you so much for all the help and I wish I would have had more time to go to the amv panels but I was in a cosplay group and we were stopped for photos so much it was hard to make it to any panels.

I also would like to meet Riderz one year if I can too, unless we have and I don't remember sorry XD. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to go to any of the amv dinner things before AX as something just always gets in the way. lol sorry long rant.

Again Congrats to all finalist, nonfinalists and winners. so much effort was put into this event it was awesome!

On one last note though regarding the contest... um set up? I dunno how to word it right. But my friends and I noticed at least to us the speakers had a bit to much bass or something ( I am bad with technical terms). The sound literally vibrated my body at times and I don't recall this in other years. I dunno if it was just me and my friends but it was something I would ask about. As it kinda distracted me a little when a lot of the techno or loud sounds came into play. Also the contest was REALLY long, granted I LOVE AMVS, but because the contest ran so late I didn't get tot the hotel till almost 2. I was curious as on the ballots that there were uneven number of entrants per category. Like some had 7,or 6 entrants. Not to be rude or anything, like I sad I LOVE amvs, but now we seem to have more categories, especially since drama has been split into 2. If I remember correctly in years past the number of entrants were equal per category. Would doing something like that like 5-6 finalist per category be more beneficial?

It just seemed to me the the contest ran abnormally longer this year than previous years and I felt bad as I was getting sleepy towards the middle end, and I love AMVS but I dunno if lack of sleep or what not would affect other viewers thoughts on videos. Just curious. Again This is just my thoughts and regardless I will continue to go and participate in the amv contests. Its like the highlight of AX every year for me since its the only con I can afford to go to.

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:45 am

neko kitkat wrote:It was a great AMV competition this year! It was fun being a finalist again! I was just happy to be apart of the show. I was a bit worried when the drama category was announced that some videos had controversial subjects and it just HIT ME that my amv would be considered as much.
Lol... no, your vid was harmless. It was madokaAV that prompted the "controversial subjects" warning, actually. ^^;;;
...the contest was REALLY long, granted I LOVE AMVS, but because the contest ran so late I didn't get tot the hotel till almost 2. I was curious as on the ballots that there were uneven number of entrants per category. Like some had 7,or 6 entrants. Not to be rude or anything, like I sad I LOVE amvs, but now we seem to have more categories, especially since drama has been split into 2. If I remember correctly in years past the number of entrants were equal per category. Would doing something like that like 5-6 finalist per category be more beneficial?
I don't disagree. There were exactly 2hrs of AMVs in the contest which is what I aimed for this year, but failed to take into consideration the recaps, intro, slates, my horrible speeches and whatnot which then pushes the event to 2hr 30min. For next year I plan to aim for roughly 2hrs total.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

Aeniara
Org Profile

Post by Aeniara » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:49 am

VivifxAMV wrote:I really enjoyed the Ao no Hana video in Romance, I thought that was really fantastic.
That would be my video, I'm glad you liked it! :D
And congrats to the winners, obviously! I haven't watched all the entries yet, but it seems to have been a great show :up:

Tearx
The Malicious Feline
Org Profile

Post by Tearx » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:35 am

Was not able to attend the day of the contest sadly D: HOWEVERR on the day I did come:
The panels and amv room were great. I heard a lot of being being all like " Let's go to the amv rooom YEAAAH"
I haven't attended AX in two years and I just see a big step forward in everything! You guys are doing a great job :)

neko kitkat
Org Profile

Post by neko kitkat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:27 pm

[quote="xstylus"][quote="neko kitkat"]It was a great AMV competition this year! It was fun being a finalist again! I was just happy to be apart of the show. I was a bit worried when the drama category was announced that some videos had controversial subjects and it just HIT ME that my amv would be considered as much.[/quote]

Lol... no, your vid was harmless. It was madokaAV that prompted the "controversial subjects" warning, actually. ^^;;;

[quote]...the contest was REALLY long, granted I LOVE AMVS, but because the contest ran so late I didn't get tot the hotel till almost 2. I was curious as on the ballots that there were uneven number of entrants per category. Like some had 7,or 6 entrants. Not to be rude or anything, like I sad I LOVE amvs, but now we seem to have more categories, especially since drama has been split into 2. If I remember correctly in years past the number of entrants were equal per category. Would doing something like that like 5-6 finalist per category be more beneficial?[/quote]

I don't disagree. There were exactly 2hrs of AMVs in the contest which is what I aimed for this year, but failed to take into consideration the recaps, intro, slates, my horrible speeches and whatnot which then pushes the event to 2hr 30min. For next year I plan to aim for roughly 2hrs total.[/quote]

lol ok good I was scared I was offending people :( but I am happy I didn't.

As for the time I can understand now. I was just wondering of it was just me, and like I said it was just MY opinion, and I hope it doesn't have any negative effect on the contest in any way. I love the amv contest. But for what its worth I liked you speeches ^_^

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:41 pm

As everyone else has said, I had a blast this year! All the entries to the contest were great, I honestly felt like any of them could have won their respective categories. This year was actually a great confidence booster for me, I went into the contest feeling pretty meh about my Persona 4 "Overcoming Me" video being in there, but seeing it together with all those top-notch videos, I felt pretty freaking proud that the judges thought my vid deserved to be there. You all definitely set the bar for next year though!

I really wish I could have been at the AMV rooms more but what I saw was great, I hope to see creator spotlights and best of non-finalists back next year. The creator spotlights made it pretty easy to mingle with other editors a bit, and that was fun too! I was kinda suprised that people knew me from things other than Halloween :uhoh:

Lastly, 'Testing is the Future' winning best of show seems to be mildly controversial? Personally I don't mind it winning that award at all as it looked like every scene was pretty much made from scratch, and overall was fun and had a great presentation. I can understand people being against parody being eligible for best of show, but part of me agrees that if thats what the audience likes best, then it would be kinda odd for it to be passed over so someone from another category gets Best in Show #2. Maybe separate audience choice from best of show...?

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:11 am

Hagaren Viper wrote: I was kinda suprised that people knew me from things other than Halloween :uhoh:
You've made other videos? i keed i keed

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:18 am

Pwolf wrote:
Hagaren Viper wrote: I was kinda suprised that people knew me from things other than Halloween :uhoh:
You've made other videos? i keed i keed
Yeah, I also made the one with Soul Eater with This is Hall- oh.. :cry:

Cyrix
Org Profile

Post by Cyrix » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:49 am

I was just searching your name trying to figure out who made what of Action (update the first page with the video names, xstylus! :P ) and guess what came up first... :uhoh:

Return to “AMV Contests”