Sabakucon AMV Contest (UPDATED WITH RESULTS!)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
gotegenks
Org Profile

Sabakucon AMV Contest (UPDATED WITH RESULTS!)

Post by gotegenks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:28 am

edit: finalists - http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 0#p1483492
edit: results - http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 0#p1485362
Hey, guys...

We're starting up a new anime convention in Albuquerque, New Mexico called SABAKUCON! We're looking to put on as good a show as possible so people will come back next year wanting more, and a good way to do that is to showcase some excellent AMVs, and i've been told this is the place to go (:P).

http://www.facebook.com/SabakuCon?ref=ts&fref=ts
http://sabakucon.com
https://twitter.com/SabakuCon

AMV CONTEST RULES

1. Since this is an AMV contest, your video will need to be at least an estimated 70% anime, acceptable videogame source, or anime inspired original animation. If you need examples, pm me. In the end, we will be the ones to judge whether or not your video is 70% anime not, unless you would like to count the frames and send us some math. Not that we'll be doing that but that's the only thing that I will consider to override our sloppy estimates.

2. Multi-Editor Projects are allowed, they must still adhere to time limits, though, and they will count as 1 video for every participant.

3. This is a PG-13 rated event. As such, all entries will be expected to follow the official MPAA ratings guidelines which define PG-13. To view the guidelines, please visit http://www.mpaa.org/FlmRat_Ratings.asp. The only difference being zero tolerance for the F word, however if it's bleeped, cut out, or something like that, we can work with it (even if it's completely obvious that the F word is being said).

4. Videos should be longer than 1 minute, and shorter than 7 minutes. Exceptions can be made for 5 seconds in either direction.

5. No subtitles, watermarks, or any other text or imagery that is unrelated to the content of the video.

6. No editor credits will be allowed in videos. No bumpers, no warnings, nothing but the amv please. If we get submissions with any of this we will try to cut them out if possible, but if it would interfere with the music or video then it will simply be disqualified. Only submit entries like this if you are unable to render a copy without credits (such as due to lost or corrupted files). We will be instituting a general seizure-warning at the beginning of the show so as to (hopefully) avoid any accidents. If there is something specific to your video you feel needs being said then just say so and we'll figure something out.

7. Videogame footage is allowed

8. The Video can be from any year, doesn't matter how old it is just be sure the quality is acceptable and won't look like a potato on the big screen. We would prefer recent videos but above all we just want your best. Since this is the first SABAKUCON anything goes but keep in mind that in future cons finalist videos will not be allowed (not that that matters a whole lot, but fair warning).

9. You do not need to be go to the convention to enter.

TECHNICAL GUIDELINES

Resolution: at least 480p please.
Framerate: 23.976 fps or 29.97 fps
Audio: Uncompressed if possible, 224 kbps or higher, just make sure it sounds okay.
File Types (in order of preference) AVI(Uncompressed, huffyuv, or Lagarith), mp4, mpeg2, wmv

<If you are unsure if your AMV violates any rules or regulations then either PM me with a question or submit it anyway and I will work with you to get it acceptable.>

HOW TO SUBMIT

We will only be accepting online submissions for now. If that is a problem for you then PM me and i'll see what i can do. please email christian_ag93@hotmail.com with the subject line reading "AMV CONTEST"

In the body of the e-mail please put:

Editor(s) Name(s): xxx
Studio Name <if applicable>: xxx
Mailing Address (to mail awards): xxx
Phone Number <optional>: xxx

For each AMV (still in the body of the e-mail) please put:

AMV Name: xxx
Anime Source(s) <if over 3 animes it may be advisable just to write "Various">: xxx
Musical Artist(s): xxx
Song Title: xxx
Category Preferred: xxx
Download Link: xxx

The following categories will be used:

Action - Best use of motion and tempo
Drama/Sentimental/Romance - The ones you feel in your heart 'n' stuff...
Comedy - Make 'em Laugh, maaaake 'em laugh...doesn't need jokes with punchlines just has to be silly.
Upbeat/Dance - Lighthearted, fun, Just gets you movin'.
Offbeat - Category for videos that don't belong in any categories.

Staff reserves the right to categorize your video however we see fit, but more often than not we'll probably be going with your suggestion.

Judging process: 6 Finalists in every category will be chosen by a panel of judges in advance. These finalists will all get shown at the convention. That's the number we're shooting for but should we get less entries than expected this number will be subject to change.

There will be 1st place winners in every category as well as Coordinator's Pick for best in show and Audience's overall favorite. Category winners will be chosen by the audience via ballot voting.

Prizes have yet to be arranged, but you can be assured that there will SOME form of award for the winners.
prizes are going to be a volume of some AWESOME anime, and maybe a shirt or some other stuff (i just got this amazing deal on amazon thanks to yue, so i have a bunch of goodies, don't knwo how i'll separate em out but i know that every winner is going to get at least 1 volume of anime. and by anime, i mean good stuff like gurren lagann, code geass, haruhi, lucky star, cowboy bebop, eureka 7, some other stuff too

Entry deadline is March 8th 2013.

You may enter up to 3 videos, however only 1 of your videos will be eligible for a finalist spot in each category, meaning if you enter 3 videos for the same category, only one of them can make it, but if you enter 3 videos in 3 separate categories then they all have a chance of making it. We're really in need of entries at the moment, so i really urge you to submit the 3 you're allowed. If one of your entries is a mep and it becomes a finalist in a given category then a solo project that you enter can also be a finalist in that same category.

If you're interested in attending, whether you're entering the AMV Contest or not, we would love to have you.

The convention will be held April 12-14 and will be located at the Crowne Plaza in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

1901 University Boulevard NE, Albuquerque, NM 87102

TL;DR
1. Grab a video by yourself
2. make sure it doesn't look like a poo and doesn't have any text/credits/bumpers/F words/excessive nudez
3. e-mail me the video: christian_ag93@hotmail.com (by March 8th)
4. gimme teh info on it along with your address
5. come to the convention and watch it, or don't, up to you.

I look forward to getting all of your entries! KNOCK US DEAD! x_x
Last edited by gotegenks on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Drageer
Org Profile

Re: Sabakucon AMV Contest (Deadline: Mar. 8)

Post by Drageer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:21 am

Oh dang, a new con. I haven't joined a amv contest before, so I think I'll give this one a try. Good luck managing it!

Dvl-Jigen
Org Profile

Post by Dvl-Jigen » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:58 am

Do you have to attend the convention to enter? If not, I'm so going to enter a couple of my videos
Retired AMV editor/NOT retired AMV Coordinator

Anime California 2015, 2016, 2018 AMV/CMV Coordinator
Hanadoki Con 2016, 2017 AMV Coordinator
Anime Conji 2018 AMV Coordinator
Hentai Con 2018 Assistant HMV Coordinator

Digital Video Lazyness. Yeah, that sounds about right

It's D.V.L Not Devil -__-

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:53 am

I'll try and finish something I've been working on and send that (and two other goodies) along to you later.

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:44 am

Dvl-Jigen wrote:Do you have to attend the convention to enter? If not, I'm so going to enter a couple of my videos
no you do not! otherwise we'd get like no entries, lol. i'll put that in the op, thank you! :D

cool code, look forward to getting em.

Magicflier
Org Profile

Post by Magicflier » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:37 pm

Entered two entries, just for you Image

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:34 pm

So does that mean you managed to get onto staff?
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Dvl-Jigen
Org Profile

Post by Dvl-Jigen » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:39 am

Currently in the process of uploading my three entries to mediafire
Retired AMV editor/NOT retired AMV Coordinator

Anime California 2015, 2016, 2018 AMV/CMV Coordinator
Hanadoki Con 2016, 2017 AMV Coordinator
Anime Conji 2018 AMV Coordinator
Hentai Con 2018 Assistant HMV Coordinator

Digital Video Lazyness. Yeah, that sounds about right

It's D.V.L Not Devil -__-

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:44 pm

This'd require me to actually work on something, though. D:

gotegenks
Org Profile

Post by gotegenks » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:44 pm

not necessarily, just submit 3 oldies :O
Scintilla wrote:So does that mean you managed to get onto staff?
yeah... :oops:

Return to “AMV Contests”