MomoCon's 2013 AMV Contest (Winners Announced)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

MomoCon's 2013 AMV Contest (Winners Announced)

Post by Kireblue » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:34 am

Winners Announcement
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 9&start=66

Finalists Announcement
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 9&start=27
Hello everyone. My name is Erik Norelus {kireblue}, and I am pleased to inform you that MomoCon is now officially accepting submissions for it's 1st annual AMV contest. So instead of having the AMV Exhibition that MomoCon has held in the past, we are now hosting a competition where the winners receive awards and prizes. Also, each finalist will receive a free 3-day pass to MomoCon 2013. The submission deadline is Monday, February 11th, 2013 @ 11:59pm EST. The submission form can be found here: http://kireblue.wufoo.com/forms/momocon ... v-contest/
AMV Contest Rules and Guidelines

General:

1) All submissions must consist of at least 50% Japanese animation, anime-style video game cutscenes or anime-inspired stills to be accepted into the competition.

2) Videos must not contain watermarks or subtitles that were not inserted by the editor. Also, Since MomoCon will be making title cards for all of the finalists, we ask that your submissions do not include intros, credits, studio bumpers, lead-ins, or lead-outs that are not directly related to the video content.

3) Videos must be of reasonable video and audio quality. We suggest that your video resolution be at least 640x480, and your frame rate be 23.976fps or higher.

4) Videos must be under 15 minutes in length.

5) Entrants are only allowed to submit (1) video to a category. Also, entrants are only allowed to submit to (2) of the (6) categories. Entrants will be allowed to submit a 3rd entry if one of their submissions is to the Trailer/ Parody category. In other words, entries submitted to the Trailer/ Parody category do not count towards the (2) submission limit. And lastly, a single video can not be submitted to more than one category.

6) Submitted videos must not contain excessive violence, language or content that would place it above a PG13 rating.

7) Videos that were submitted to either MomoCon's AMV exhibition (2009-2012) or Seishun-Con's AMV contest (2011-2012) are not eligible to participate. Also, “video freshness” will not play a factor in the judging process, but entries that premiered before January 1st, 2011 are discouraged.

8) All submissions must be in MomoCon's possession by 11:59 pm (EST) on Monday, February 11th, 2013. Attendance to MomoCon is not required to enter the competition and will not improve your odds of winning.

Categories:

The AMV contest is split into six categories. Entrants are allowed to select the best fit category for each of their submissions, but if our judges strongly disagree with the genre of a submitted video, it may be moved to a better fitting category. The categories are as follows:

Action
Comedy
Fun / Upbeat
Drama / Serious
Romance / Sentimental
Trailer / Parody

Submissions:
The submission form can be found here: http://kireblue.wufoo.com/forms/momocon ... v-contest/

The form requires you to provide a download link of your video via a file uploading service like YouSendIt, or SendSpace. If using Google Drive or Dropbox, please ensure that the URL you send is a “shared” or “public” link. If your AMV is available for download on http://www.animemusicvideos.org, you also have the option of instead providing a link to it's video information page. Youtube or ”streaming only” links will not be accepted.

If you video meets the necessary rules and requirements, a confirmation e-mail will be sent to you within 72 hours. Note: At any time, MomoCon reserves the right to not show or ultimately disqualify any submitted AMV for any reason.

File Formats:
MomoCon is able to accept AMVs in a wide variety of file types and even HD (720p or greater) videos. But even so, please do not upscale your videos. If your footage wasn't taken from a blu-ray disc or was already HD, upscaling it to 720 or 1080p can negatively affect your video. The preferred file type is MP4, but we also accept AVI, MPEG-2, WMV, MKV and many more. We strongly discourage submitting QuickTime, DivX, Real Media or Flash Video.

Judging:
After the submission deadline passes, our panel of judges will rate each video, and the top five AMVs from each category will be selected as a finalist and screened during the convention. Finalists will be announced and notified via e-mail about a week after the submission deadline passes. During the AMV contest screening (March 9th, 2012) , MomoCon attendees will have the opportunity to vote on which video they feel should win each individual category. Once the votes have been tailed, the winners will be announced at the contest screening and via twitter https://twitter.com/#!/kireblue. In addition to the awards voted on by the audience, there will be an additional “Judges Choice” award that will be chosen solely by MomoCon staff. Winning the “Judges Choice” award will not disqualify a video from also winning an award from one of the main categories. Also, accepted videos that do not make the finals of the contest are still eligible to win the “Judges Choice” award.

Prizes and Awards:

Each finalist will receive a free 3-day pass to MomoCon 2013. The top video in each category will also receive a trophy and prize pack consisting of DVDs, manga and various merchandise provided by our sponsors. Winners that are present at the convention will be required to show a photo ID in order to claim their prizes. Anything not claimed during the convention will be shipped out immediately afterwards.

If you have any questions or comments about the contest, please contact me via A-M-V.org {Kireblue}, or at kireblueV2@gmail.com

About MomoCon:
MomoCon is an annual three-day anime, animation, manga, gaming, and costuming convention. It is held in downtown Atlanta, Georgia every March, and features over 900 hours of events and programming, and includes such features as vendors, artists, contests, tournaments, celebrity guests, concerts, karaoke, interactive workshops, martial arts, cultural events, and events targeted at every age group! In 2011, MomoCon welcomed more than 10,000 attendees, and we were happy to be listed as the 10th largest anime convention in North America by Animecons.com. Celebrating our 9th year in operation, MomoCon 2013 will take place at the Hilton Atlanta hotel from March 8th – 10th.

More info about MomoCon can be found here: http://www.momocon.com/
Last edited by Kireblue on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:55 pm, edited 10 times in total.

zeiram_00
Org Profile

Re: MomoCon's 1st Annual AMV Contest

Post by zeiram_00 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:31 am

Did I read that right, videos not making finalists could still win 'judges award' ? Shouldn't judges award be the best rated video reviewed by the judges that are rating the top five per category (as in video with best overall judges score wins judges award)? Or are you saying 'judges award' could be based on one individuals perspective and not that of the actual judges (plural)? To me, it doesn't seem possible for a video to win a 'judges award' and not be a finalists. Or is that just some polite way of giving people hope and saying just because your video isn't a finalists doesn't mean you should ignore the contest? A lot of questions (technically) I know, especially from someone who may or may not actually have something to submit to the contest, but that phrasing just kinda caught my attention.
People are Stupid, Individuals are Intelligent

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:04 am

zeiram_00 wrote:Did I read that right, videos not making finalists could still win 'judges award' ? Shouldn't judges award be the best rated video reviewed by the judges that are rating the top five per category (as in video with best overall judges score wins judges award)? Or are you saying 'judges award' could be based on one individuals perspective and not that of the actual judges (plural)? To me, it doesn't seem possible for a video to win a 'judges award' and not be a finalists. Or is that just some polite way of giving people hope and saying just because your video isn't a finalists doesn't mean you should ignore the contest? A lot of questions (technically) I know, especially from someone who may or may not actually have something to submit to the contest, but that phrasing just kinda caught my attention.
The Judge's Choice award will be given to the video that we (the Judges) feel is the best video out of all the submissions that we receive. In other words, it is given to the best overall video. But the finalists in each category will be made up of the top 5 videos that we feel fit the categories the best (5 Best Comedy, 5 Best Action, etc). So with this in mind, it is very possible for a video to receive a perfect score from each of the Judges, and not make the finals (if we feel that the video doesn't fit its category well enough to be considered one of the top 5 of that category). This was actually the case when I was running Seishun-Con's AMV contest last year. The video was submitted to the Fun/ Upbeat category, and although it was the only video that received a perfect score from all the judges, we decided to exclude it from the finals because we felt that that there were videos that fit the Fun/ Upbeat category better. So in a nutshell, scores aren't the only thing that plays a role in what videos make the finals. Category placement is also a factor.

ProjectBarcodeError
Org Profile

Post by ProjectBarcodeError » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:38 pm

ooooh that finalist bonus !

I,ll try to finish my next solo for it

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:38 am

ProjectBarcodeError wrote:ooooh that finalist bonus !

I,ll try to finish my next solo for it
awesome :awesome: But yeah, MomoCon is really expanding its focus on AMVs this year, so we're giving free admission to anyone that makes the finals. And we're also seeing if people would be interested in having a Editors dinner http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 8&t=111317

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:30 pm

Ooooo what do I get for winning the iron chef??? :p j/k I'll have to find a video to throw in there

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:39 pm

2 months till the deadline! Also, to those of you that are attending MomoCon 2013, here is a link to the thread for a editor's dinner that we may host if there are enough people interested in it http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 8&t=111317

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:18 pm

I just sent in some mo-mo-more videos. :ying:
ImageImage

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:20 pm

1 month to finish my former Akross project. Noted |:>

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Only one month left till the February 11th deadline.

Return to “AMV Contests”