AWA pro thoughts/followups?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Re: AWA pro thoughts/followups?

Post by Mr Pilkington » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:34 pm

I guess the question that should be asked, is there anyone vehemently opposed to having adult content in Pro?
Especially now that we're several generations from the VHS days and videos with offensive content can be skipped at the discretion of the viewer.

It's a lot of work, but there is a "cake and eat it too" sort of option. Since the biggest reason to remove adult content from pro was the distribution to minors, have all "R" or less content available on the torrents, but any applicable adult entries available as a download with password only provided to those who are of age and/or generated on a person-person basis. It handicaps the entry (which from the masters standpoint changes nothing) but, if that video is strong enough on it's own, shouldn't prove terribly challenging. That would also warrant removal of the "gimme" adult prize in pro. All of the above I would personally be in favor of. Granted I'm obviously the voice of support for adult content.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:41 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote:Granted I'm obviously the. . .adult content.
:awesome:

That said I'm fine either way, the only problem I see is that some people object to watching the content at all (regardless of age) so what you have is a much smaller voting pool than before that is heavily skewed. So it;s not just about eliminating minors (which I doubt there are many anyway) but who WILL watch and vote on those videos? Additionally, how many are needed for the catagory to support itself? If there are only two or three entires then it's still a gimme award even structured as such.

I'm not against having it, hell I run a con that practically relies on it. but I am concerned about how many people would enter and how many would actually watch all the ones entered.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:52 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote:I guess the question that should be asked, is there anyone vehemently opposed to having adult content in Pro?
Especially now that we're several generations from the VHS days and videos with offensive content can be skipped at the discretion of the viewer.
Blatantly obvious sexual scenes/innuendos/positions make me uncomfortable. There was a video entered either last year or the year before that was to (i think) Bible Black, there was nothing specifically shown but i turned it off maybe a quarter into it.

Videos like Jus Talionis are different. the scenario was serious and not aphrodisiac aimed. I'm fine with an "R" rating, but not "X" or "NC-17".

sorry to be the prude of the group. you can blame it on religious reasons :P

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:48 pm

Rider4Z wrote: Blatantly obvious sexual scenes/innuendos/positions make me uncomfortable. There was a video entered either last year or the year before that was to (i think) Bible Black, there was nothing specifically shown but i turned it off maybe a quarter into it.

Videos like Jus Talionis are different. the scenario was serious and not aphrodisiac aimed. I'm fine with an "R" rating, but not "X" or "NC-17".

Not a problem really, I mean I too understand that there are a lot of people who don't like hentai amvs and skip them. Voting has always been skewed for those videos. But just like Pilk and most of CBR we enjoy making hentai amvs and for us pro is the only competition that allowed hentai to compete with everything else and when hentai wins something other than the adult "gimme" award it actually means a lot. I know it meant a lot for me to win comedy with 3D and the EP. I also love the fact that it's considered a staple hentai amv at some cons along with videos like Money Shot and Prison Bitch.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:03 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
Mr Pilkington wrote:I guess the question that should be asked, is there anyone vehemently opposed to having adult content in Pro?
Blatantly obvious sexual scenes/innuendos/positions make me uncomfortable. There was a video entered either last year or the year before that was to (i think) Bible Black, there was nothing specifically shown but i turned it off maybe a quarter into it.

Why not just add a suffix to the file name of each hentai video (such as [H]), that way, those who object to such material will have forewarning and can just avoid it? Seems like a simple enough solution to me to take care of both issues.
ImageImage

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:43 pm

drewaconclusion wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:Then I would prefer to make 3 new videos, one for master and two for pro :P
I find this statement rather hilarious. Especially considering you've consistently entered videos that were very obviously premiered before AWA pro, nevermind the fact that they'd won multiple awards before AWA.
Sigh...I suppose I should state my opinion on EVERYTHING to not get misunderstood through all of this...

1) I wasn't really a supporter for exclusive videos for Pro on Masters years because I felt it would hurt either Pro or Masters (which it did).
2) I was never AGAINST exclusive for the contest, I just don't think it should be on years that Masters happens.
3) I was encouraged my first year participating to send my best and my understanding of Pro was that you bring your A game with a newer video and let your peers judge it, which is different than most conventions which is audience vote. I was excited to see what my peers thought of my work.
4) With Pro changed to exclusive, I would STILL rather Masters be separate and not an "addon" award in the pool of Pro videos (which kinda kills part of the challenge). To me, Masters is all about taking that gamble to be the one possible winner out of the pool of videos that could be anywhere from 2-9001 entries...choosing Masters over Pro for a new video is a gamble (when it comes to your chances for winning) and I think it makes it more fun.

So, going back to my entry from this year, much like last year I sent my newest and best video. I had literally no time from July until the deadline to create anything new that would be substantial, so I sent my newest video that I had worked the hardest on (along with ONE new entry that I rushed to make). Personally I save my best idea of the year for Otakon and work my hardest on it, so I LIKE to send that to Pro because I want to put my best work forward. I don't mind Pro being exclusive, it is just going to force me to work on my Otakon entry more in advance and then save time to work on more entries for AWA.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:59 pm

drewaconclusion wrote:Why not just add a suffix to the file name of each hentai video (such as [H]), that way, those who object to such material will have forewarning and can just avoid it? Seems like a simple enough solution to me to take care of both issues.
doesn't bother me, but wouldn't that ultimately skew the vote?

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:26 pm

Rider4Z wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:Why not just add a suffix to the file name of each hentai video (such as [H]), that way, those who object to such material will have forewarning and can just avoid it? Seems like a simple enough solution to me to take care of both issues.
doesn't bother me, but wouldn't that ultimately skew the vote?
That will make it slightly more difficult to win, but by less than 10% assuming the video is good. Some people just don't mind the challenge and loss of some votes is a given either way

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:44 am

l33tmeatwad wrote: Sigh...I suppose I should state my opinion on EVERYTHING to not get misunderstood through all of this...

1) I wasn't really a supporter for exclusive videos for Pro on Masters years because I felt it would hurt either Pro or Masters (which it did).
2) I was never AGAINST exclusive for the contest, I just don't think it should be on years that Masters happens.
3) I was encouraged my first year participating to send my best and my understanding of Pro was that you bring your A game with a newer video and let your peers judge it, which is different than most conventions which is audience vote. I was excited to see what my peers thought of my work.
4) With Pro changed to exclusive, I would STILL rather Masters be separate and not an "addon" award in the pool of Pro videos (which kinda kills part of the challenge). To me, Masters is all about taking that gamble to be the one possible winner out of the pool of videos that could be anywhere from 2-9001 entries...choosing Masters over Pro for a new video is a gamble (when it comes to your chances for winning) and I think it makes it more fun.
1) What proof do you have of this happening? To date not ONCE has AWA had exclusivity in pro. It's been "strongly suggested" they be original but 2013 is going to be the first year it's exclusive. The whole trolling issue hasn't even come up until a couple of years ago because everybody else actually followed that suggestion.

2) But then on one side it means everyone will work harder trying to get that jacket. Plus 2 attempts to win it.

3) While it is encouraged to send your best, it's also encouraged to send something new as well. As for voting well I've had problems with voting ever since I found out that lots of friends would coordinate and then tend to vote for each other. But then there's no REAL way to prevent that from happening. I've never brought it up because, well what good would it do?

4) I agree on that to an extent, I did like the fact that masters was a different pool where you have 1 winner and x losers. At the same time, if I had 3 good videos and could only enter 1 into masters I'd have to gamble on which I thought would have the strongest chance to win and enter the other 2 to pro. This year I entered The circle of thug life to pro over Cat Herding because I thought it stood a better chance of getting nominated and boy was I wrong on that.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:47 am

SailorDeath wrote:1) What proof do you have of this happening? To date not ONCE has AWA had exclusivity in pro. It's been "strongly suggested" they be original but 2013 is going to be the first year it's exclusive. The whole trolling issue hasn't even come up until a couple of years ago because everybody else actually followed that suggestion.

2) But then on one side it means everyone will work harder trying to get that jacket. Plus 2 attempts to win it.
The fact that masters was kinda "absorbed" by Pro IMO is a way in which one of the two contests was "hurt" IMO. You also can't blanket statement saying "everyone will try harder"...you can't prove that...and the fact that everyone gets "2 chances" cheapens the challenge as well, thus HURTING it IMO.
SailorDeath wrote:3) While it is encouraged to send your best, it's also encouraged to send something new as well. As for voting well I've had problems with voting ever since I found out that lots of friends would coordinate and then tend to vote for each other. But then there's no REAL way to prevent that from happening. I've never brought it up because, well what good would it do?

4) I agree on that to an extent, I did like the fact that masters was a different pool where you have 1 winner and x losers. At the same time, if I had 3 good videos and could only enter 1 into masters I'd have to gamble on which I thought would have the strongest chance to win and enter the other 2 to pro. This year I entered The circle of thug life to pro over Cat Herding because I thought it stood a better chance of getting nominated and boy was I wrong on that.
You have your opinions and I have mine when it comes to Pro. You act as if your opinion on the matter is superior because you've perhaps participated longer. As it was said many times, it was never one way or the other, it's OUR contest and we had the option to work it however we wanted to with our voting privileges.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “AMV Contests”