AWA pro thoughts/followups?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

AWA pro thoughts/followups?

Post by Mr Pilkington » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:12 am

obligatory:
inb4SD

Spoiler :
#59 is mine
What are your thoughts?
Last edited by Mr Pilkington on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Re: AWA pro thoughts/followups?

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:35 am

I made the Naruto video.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

AMV_4000
Org Profile

Post by AMV_4000 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:49 am

Too long, did not watch.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:55 am

lolololololol. I may not be a fan of Ponies, but that My Little Pony parody/remake of Extraball was epic. :up: Nice job sir/madame.

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:40 pm

GOD DAMMIT PILKINGTON you beat me to it. For that I'm going to give you herpes.

My review will be coming in sometime within the next week or so. This time reviewing them is going to be a little different and will take a while to get finished. Oh and every video that didn't suck was mine. Including #58

A dragon eats you Mr. Pilkington. You smell like cabbage and gave me aids.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Sephiroth
Org Profile

Post by Sephiroth » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:28 pm

Comedy vids are dead

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:51 pm

Sephiroth wrote:Comedy vids are dead
I noticed that too, normally there are a good amount, admittedly I've only skimmed through them so far (tomorrow is my scheduled watching day) but I only saw 4 videos I would classify as comedy this year.)
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:22 pm

Well, that was fun; I only saw 12 of them before. I hear that's good for Pro lately.

EDIT - to be even more fair, subtracting the things i've seen as a prescreener for other contests, a coordinator for AAC, a judge for PoE. and a beta for people and my own, there's only really 5 or so... and 3 of them were in an MEP.
Last edited by BasharOfTheAges on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:39 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:lolololololol. I may not be a fan of Ponies, but that My Little Pony parody/remake of Extraball was epic. :up: Nice job sir/madame.
you've been PWNIED

EDIT: almost done, 2 more to go but i had to comment about #55 - "Thanks for the Smiles" amazingly appropriate because i was smiling the WHOLE video, and i haven't done that for one in a LONG time :D :D :D

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:11 pm

Overall I think this batch of videos are much better than last years as a whole set. That said, I think last year had more videos that stood out, but the contest last year was very lopsided and the videos were either really good or they were bad.

Here are my thoughts on the entire contest:
Spoiler :
Entry 1 - Issues with framerate and footage the creator slowed down. The pairing worked, but the jittery framerate throughout the entire video was distracting.
Entry 2 - Interesting choice of audio and styling. The blank screen with text could have used a backdrop and the Japanese text in the video could have used translations.
Entry 3 - Overall fun video, major framerate issues. Mixed content of 24 & 30fps content mastered at 30fps, would have opted for 60fps or 120fps to avoid jittery footage.
Entry 4 - Scene sync was a little sporadic and the audio track was off sync, after corrected the lipsync matched up well.
Entry 5 - Overall decent video, sync was well done, well put together. MAJOR aliasing issue with the entire video, degraded the quality a lot.
Entry 6 - *facepalm* A collage of GIF files from the internet set to music...
Entry 7 – Live action footage handled very well to the audio source, felt almost like a trailer or preview for some type of movie.
Entry 8 - Entertaining video, fairly well constructed and the timing was good. Some of the flashing effects were distracting, and there was also some sections that showed the footage was not adapted well to 30fps from the 24fps source. Was a little long, cutting down the instrumental section could have helped with this.
Entry 9 - High quality source which made for a beautiful looking AMV. Sync and pacing were well handled, but that said, the video was very forgettable. Nothing about the video stood out or made it memorable, it was simply a collage of violent clips set to rap music, there was no solid connection between the audio and video sources.
Entry 10 - Clip pace was well executed, and the use of effects spiced up the video. All that said, the video still felt slow and could have used more digital effects...and as stupid as this sounds...MORE TWITCH lol...
Entry 11 - Long and drawn out with extremely awkward text effects. The only good thing about this video was how good the footage looked.
Entry 12 - Probably the best live action video in the contest. Not too sure about the mixed aspect ratio footage, but it was well handled and all kept to the opening section of the video so I don't think it hurts the video at all. Overall great video and very well done.
Entry 13 - Wrong aspect ratio for a lot of the clips, extremely bad masking, and some interlacing artifacts remain. There was a poor mix of footage and also the edges were not cropped.
Entry 14 - Very well executed and did an amazing job telling a story with this video. Random clip at the end wasn't necessary.
Entry 15 - Good parody of an existing AMV, however the pacing was just not the same an was too slow; many of the clips were on screen entirely too long. There was also random lip flaps that were not removed mixed in with things that were lipsynced.
Entry 16 - Very well executed sync and the pairing was definitely fitting. Some visual artifacts, but they are most likely a result of the encoding profile chosen mixed with the color scheme of the video.
Entry 17 - One of the best videos in the contest. An amazing mix of effects and technical use of the video editing software used. Overall it presented a story and mood and made you care about the characters. Effects didn't scream out that they did not belong and really added to the enjoyment of the video.
Entry 18 - Very well edited and executed video. Very funny and was one of the better comedy videos in the contest.
Entry 19 - Very run of the mill romance video and the slide and zoom transitions were overused and distracting.
Entry 20 - Very tacky and not well done masking on this entry. Could have done a better job blending the footage, but overall was hard to even watch.
Entry 21 - Very well paced and executed. Sync was good, although some of the masking looked a little rought.
Entry 22 - Good paring and well executed, although a few issues with framerate.
Entry 23 - Well edited, but some framerate issues, some of the still shots stand out too much due to the nature of how cell footage naturally shakes.
Entry 24 - Decent idea, but the quality of the footage and editing is sub-par.
Entry 25 - Few instances where the sync was off, some of the text was blurred slightly too much.
Entry 26 - Sync and timing was well executed, but the video felt a bit random and had lots of excess lip flap which was distracting.
Entry 27 - Run of the mill romance, although the pacing feels too slow due to the excessive use of still shots or scenes with little to no movement and they also failed to crop the edges.
Entry 28 - Long and pointless.
Entry 29 - Not sure what the intended link between the song and video source was, but the pacing was way to slow for the audio source. Many of the clips were too long.
Entry 30 - Decent pairing and sync, but the frame blending and lip flaps were distracting. Frame blended could have been avoided had they simply used the correct framerate.
Entry 31 - For a video that heavily relied on masking, the blending on the masking was poor and the footage mix did not blend well. A lot more effort could have been used to make the source material look as if it belonged together.
Entry 32 - Moves to Kill 2.0...that is all >.>
Entry 33 - The color dropout masking looked terrible and the footage felt like it was picked by random. Not sure if this belongs in a contest called "pro" as it just doesn't feel as if much effort was put into making this video look good aside from the HD footage.
Entry 34 - Choices in anime work, but the mix in HD and SD footage at an HD resolution just makes the video look awful. The masking was also terribly done and should have had some feathering to make it at least look natural.
Entry 35 - One of the better manga music videos I've seen, although the aliasing is hardd to ignore.
Entry 36 - Very run of the mill romance video, some jittery footage and also some of the transitions are a little awkward.
Entry 37 - Well edited and the footage goes well with the song. Some aliasing and other video quality issues, but most of it is linked to the source material.
Entry 38 - Editing feels a bit slow for the high paced song and also some framerate issues. Video feels extremely slow and I lost interest fast.
Entry 39 - Very fun and well edited video. Nothing to really complain about aside from some aliasing artifacts that are most likely from the source material.
Entry 40 - Decent pairing for the parody, although the opening text could have been blended better to make it not obvious that it was added.
Entry 41 - Pairing is okay. Some left over lips flap and the lip sync is a bit loose. Pacing is too slow for the fast pace of the song.
Entry 42 - Short and pointless.
Entry 43 - One of my favorite entries in the contest, well edited and the pairing works really well. Nothing to complain about.
Entry 44 - Well timed and edited, although the lip flaps were rather distracting. Overall fun video.
Entry 45 - Interesting pairing that works well, but some framerate issues. Timing and editing was well done, but the video was too short.
Entry 46 - Pairing worked an it was very well edited, although some of the masking looked a bit rough.
Entry 47 - Decent editing, but interlaced footage? Really?
Entry 48 - Timing was well done, but the video felt rather random...don't really get the point or humor (if it's supposed to be funny)...also, the transition to live action footage was rather wierd and random.
Entry 49 - Some framerate and aliasing issues, editing was however well synced and exected well. Was a bit long.
Entry 50 - Umm...cropping and aspect ratio? Also some interlacing artifacts...
Entry 51 - Masking transitions were really awkward. The high framerate was unnecessary, all that was really done was the entire video looked like it was on fast forward.
Entry 52 - *facepalm* ummm...NO!
Entry 53 - *yawn* Random clips from a movie to open it up? I was ready to quit before the song started...video was also not worth the wait, did not feel there was a strong connection.
Entry 54 - Wrong aspect ratio for a lot of the footage...not super interesting.
Entry 55 - Nothing at all to complain about, amazing video!
Entry 56 - Pairing worked well and the editing was well executed. A few framerate issues.
Entry 57 - Very fun video, had a light mood and kept it up the whole time; the editing and sync was well handled in this video. Some jittery footage problems, not sure if the footage was just altered in speed or if it was supposed to be another framerate.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “AMV Contests”