AWA pro thoughts/followups?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
LantisEscudo
Org Profile

Re: AWA pro thoughts/followups?

Post by LantisEscudo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:41 pm

Last year, there was a specific "Best Live Action" and a separate Ponies-specific category.

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:42 pm

Clarification is good.

Last year (and I assume in previous years) the categories didn't come with descriptions. I like the descriptions; they help keep people on the same page, can help us decided if we find certain categories (like Ponies-only) redundant, and can help us look at what videos could fit in various categories and decide what type of categories we might still want for videos that aren't yet fitting in well.

Also we have this nifty thread for discussing such things, and it would be a shame to waste it.

drewaconclusion
What this is, I don't even...
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:13 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:"Best Other" and "Best 'WTF Did I Just Watch?'" Seem like they'd draw from the same pool. (I prefer the latter title.).
Not necessarily. "Best Other" would include horror and "Best 'WTF Did I Just Watch?'" wouldn't.
Warlike Swans wrote:"I Want My Life Back Award" Description sounds kind of derogatory. I don't like it.
If it bothers you that much how about renaming it the " *facepalm* Award"?
Warlike Swans wrote:Clarification is good.

Last year (and I assume in previous years) the categories didn't come with descriptions. I like the descriptions; they help keep people on the same page, can help us decided if we find certain categories (like Ponies-only) redundant, and can help us look at what videos could fit in various categories and decide what type of categories we might still want for videos that aren't yet fitting in well.

Also we have this nifty thread for discussing such things, and it would be a shame to waste it.
Actually, I'd say keep the live action and ponies awards and change "non-anime" to be for 'not live-action, anime or ponies'. Though I don't know what to title it as just yet.
ImageImage

JCD
Lord of the Dance
Org Profile

Post by JCD » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:15 pm

It's probably just my impression, but I enjoyed all previous Pro contests I saw more.

Anyways, thoughts:
Spoiler :
01 - Pretty standard trailer, nothing special.
02 - Why. Ears bleed. Editing was ok I guess.
03 - Not my cup of tea, but pretty sweet nontheless. Abrupt ending, ran out of time?
04 - Why is this so repetitive? Oh, wait...
05 - ... nevermind.
06 - Been there, done that. At least you seem to have fun editing these.
07 - Oogly-Bloogly-Woo scaryness. Which means not scary at all.
08 - Terrible editing ruined what was a pretty boring concept to start with.
09 - Random action can work to rap music. It does not do so here.
10 - Didn't like the music at all, but nice editing, decent action video.
11 - Terrible repetitive text, way too long. Skipped.
12 - Nice tribute.
13 - Yawn
14 - What?
15 - Been there, done that, not my cup of tea.
16 - That was quite fun. Please remaster it, Soul Eater is available in alot higher quality than that.
17 - Great. Got the plot of a great series across very nicely despite the horrible song.
18 - Cannot beat the original. Still, pretty funny.
19 - Could've been a bit more structured. I know this is hard to do though, so nice job.
20 - For Bernd's sake, stop encoding in ancient formats!! Otherwise, very nice.
21 - Awesome fun, a bit too linear.
22 - Those faces look creepy as hell! Chill video tho.
23 - Didn't know if this wants to be silly or serious.
24 - see #20. Except this video sucked.
25 - Didn't laugh.
26 - I don't get it.
27 - >2012 >Wrong Aspect Ratio. Thank god it ended early right as I wanted to skip it.
28 - Congratulations, you're in space.
29 - >2012 >Letterboxing. Terrible combo, skipped.
30 - Ok-ish.
31 - The original needs to die desperately. I got to admit, I laughed at Kit.
32 - Sort of enjoyed it.
33 - I literally said "Damnit!" out loud when other sources than Diebuster came up.
34 - Didn't laugh.
35 - Honestly, the worst MMV I saw so far. Terrible typography, consistency and rotoscoping.
36 - Very similar to #30. Ok-ish.
37 - Yawn
38 - I'm guessing this was one of your first videos. Improve your editing (and musical taste) and your videos will be very decent.
39 - Absurd. Absurd amounts of FUN! FINALLY!
40 - Nice, the combo isn't that fitting though.
41 - Nice summary of the series.
42 - OH GOD NOT AGA-
43 - I liked this alot more: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=73471
44 - Needs MUCH more fanservice. Still fun to watch.
45 - Concept was by far not tight enough for this to work.
46 - Oh fucking hell.
47 - >2012 >Interlacing. Pretty bland otherwise.
48 - Troll video, but fun was had due to creative sync.
49 - Decent, but... 2002 has called, they want their video back.
50 - >2012 >Wrong AR >Letterboxing. Terrible scene selection and terrible everything.
51 - QUALITY SHOCK. Pretty clear who did this after last year, liked it just as much. GJ.
52 - I buy this as a parody to crappy dubstep music.
53 - Thought this would turn into a lengthy serious video, but it didn't. It didn't turn good either, though.
54 - >2012 >Making fun about Nazis.
55 - Very enjoyable, certainly one of the best videos of the bunch. Misses some re-view factor for me though.
56 - Solid. Liked it alot.
57 - Awesome. Couldn't completely overcome my hate for Coldplay, but it gave me a good "free time / vacation" vibe.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:33 pm

drewaconclusion wrote:
Warlike Swans wrote:"Best Other" and "Best 'WTF Did I Just Watch?'" Seem like they'd draw from the same pool. (I prefer the latter title.).
Not necessarily. "Best Other" would include horror and "Best 'WTF Did I Just Watch?'" wouldn't.
There is only ONE horror video and there are categories it could go in...such as Live Action or Non-Anime. "Other" could turn into a dumping ground for every video in the contest and not end up benefiting the ONE horror video at all.
drewaconclusion wrote:Actually, I'd say keep the live action and ponies awards and change "non-anime" to be for 'not live-action, anime or ponies'. Though I don't know what to title it as just yet.
Why? There are like TWO videos that would fall into that category...
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

drewaconclusion
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:40 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:
There is only ONE horror video and there are categories it could go in...such as Live Action or Non-Anime. "Other" could turn into a dumping ground for every video in the contest and not end up benefiting the ONE horror video at all.
I get what you're saying. I was just pointing out there are minor differences between the two. "Best 'WTF..." seems much more comedic in tone rather than a catch-all.
ImageImage

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:43 pm

drewaconclusion wrote:
Warlike Swans wrote:"I Want My Life Back Award" Description sounds kind of derogatory. I don't like it.
If it bothers you that much how about renaming it the " *facepalm* Award"?
The problem with EITHER way you word that, it is insulting to the video. While not everyone may take it that way, someone who worked hard on their video might "win" that and feel insulted. I feel like the "WTF did I just watch" seems a little less insulting and is a nicer way to word what you were trying to say with that category.

drewaconclusion
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:48 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:Actually, I'd say keep the live action and ponies awards and change "non-anime" to be for 'not live-action, anime or ponies'. Though I don't know what to title it as just yet.
Why? There are like TWO videos that would fall into that category...
Actually, now that I go back over the list of videos, there's two horror and three non-anime/LA/ponies.
ImageImage

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:51 pm

drewaconclusion wrote:Actually, now that I go back over the list of videos, there's two horror and three non-anime/LA/ponies.
So, not enough for an entire category for horror, and "finalist by default" for the rest, good job :awesome:

drewaconclusion
Org Profile

Post by drewaconclusion » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:55 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
drewaconclusion wrote:Actually, now that I go back over the list of videos, there's two horror and three non-anime/LA/ponies.
So, not enough for an entire category for horror, and "finalist by default" for the rest, good job :awesome:
Well I wasn't volunteering a horror category. Like I said, I was just pointing out that there'd be a difference. Sheesh.

As for the other, it was just a quick suggestion. No need to get all in a huff over it.
ImageImage

Return to “AMV Contests”