AWA pro thoughts/followups?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
SailorDeath
Org Profile

Re: AWA pro thoughts/followups?

Post by SailorDeath » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:07 pm

JudgeHolden wrote:
SailorDeath wrote:
Vlad G Pohnert wrote:SailorDeath , you got WAAAAY too much time on your hands!

Vlad
AWA should create a reward for Best Pro Review! :awesome:
Shouldn't you be in a Locust running in circles? :ying:
I would if they had locusts, I pilot a Jenner tyvm.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:43 am

Was probably going to write up something tonight... But I was wondering if it was kosher to even mention in passing where you had seen things in the past. The intent isn't to harp on the whole "not being a new video to pro" thing, I just want to know if we need to censor stuff that might come up as part of natural conversation.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:00 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Was probably going to write up something tonight... But I was wondering if it was kosher to even mention in passing where you had seen things in the past. The intent isn't to harp on the whole "not being a new video to pro" thing, I just want to know if we need to censor stuff that might come up as part of natural conversation.
I would probably avoid it for the off chance that someone who hasn't seen a particular video before may be tempted to go look at the list of videos at any mentioned contests and find the videos.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:08 pm

So wait, we're NOT supposed to publicly humiliate and swing the vote? What's the point?
It's like you want this to be fair or something

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:42 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote:So wait, we're NOT supposed to publicly humiliate and swing the vote? What's the point?
It's like you want this to be fair or something
If you want to that's up to you, I personally would not.

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:08 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Was probably going to write up something tonight... But I was wondering if it was kosher to even mention in passing where you had seen things in the past. The intent isn't to harp on the whole "not being a new video to pro" thing, I just want to know if we need to censor stuff that might come up as part of natural conversation.
So here are some friendly statistics:

Pro videos found on the ORG: 11 (19%)

Pro videos that have competed in other contests (Convention or Other): 6 (12%)

Pro videos that have won in other contests: 3 (5%)

I got these results just be searching song, artist and anime used.

The of ones that won awards, there was one that won at 4 other cons. ಠ_ಠ

I'm sure that number would be higher if someone dedicated more time to it than me. As l33tmeatwad pointed out there were 2 others that have won.

Course I WON'T name names in these stats. That'll make unmasking folks a bit too easy :Þ
Last edited by SailorDeath on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:13 pm

A Table Flip for every needlessly large file.
Spoiler :
1.) Sync is good. Something about the pairing just doesn’t quite “click” as well as it should though.

2.) Pairing sometimes felt forced.

3.) It’s cute, but the song is really annoying.

4.) See comment for video #3

5.) Gummy is really cute. The video is thus really cute, but it has obvious technical flaws that are made more obvious through repetition.

6.) (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Ummmm…

7.) This video looks like it could be a professional promotion, but I felt the ending weakened the video a lot. The contrast between the real and the horrific was a good juxtaposition, and the end should have reinforced it, not neutralized it.

8.) Good storytelling, good pairing.

9.) Monotonous. Fast cuts + inattention to composition + bright colors= Painful.

10.) (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Sync’s good, but fast cuts are painful, and camera movements often look wrong.

11.) (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ The concept didn’t require a particular anime and the feel of Nausicaa didn’t fit the song or editing style, so it was a mediocre choice. There’s some awkward editing, but I still found it kinda mesmerizing.

12.) I wish it were about 30% shorter. The original Godzilla is the cutest.

13.) Bastard child of Pony Note & The Cyrus Virus. It has a lot of issues, but it's still fun enough.

14.) Toothless is SO cute! The song sometimes feels dissonant with the visuals, but it’s a good synopsis of the Hiccup/Toothless bonding.

15.) That’s quite the parody. :up:

16.) The coloring—why? Seriously, it looks like there is a nice video underneath, but the coloring is BAD.

17.) This is so much better than the photo-album video in the contest last year. So cute ^^

18.) Poor spiders!

19.) The song fits in terms of the lyrics, but the song doesn't convey much emotionally, which drags down the impact of the AMV as a whole. There’s some gimmicky editing in the transitions, but scene selection is good.

20.) (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ The style is cool, narration is pretty good too. The technical flaws are really distracting though.

21.) Probably the strongest contender for Best Action (I seem to recall that basic categories like that are a given).

22.) Frighteningly wholesome.

23.) Sources didn’t quite “click” for me. Unsure why.

24.) Gah! Interlacing!

25.) Those kids need therapy. It’s pretty funny though, if a little long at the end.

26.) Mixed feelings. It’s pretty random, most of the effects are really smooth, but some are interrupting. It does make the show look really fun.

27.) Meh.

28.) Uhhhhhh… (Uncertain if it's a troll.)

29.) The song and film styles are good together, but I found it boring.

30.) Whole thing merged together. Doesn't stand out.

31.) Not very dynamic. Relies on the song to do most of the work.

32.) The effects looked skillfully done, but there are just too many. Far too many.

33.) Effects are neither skillfully done nor tastefully done. Scene selection is good up until Vocaloid appears, then the anime mix becomes very jarring, and everything falls apart.

34.) Has its moments, but mostly dull. Some really lazy masks, too.

35.) I don’t understand who any of those people are or how they relate to each other.

36.) There are some real questionable transitions, still a decent romance video, though.

37.) Pairing is good. Don’t know what colors/effects are native, but they make the drama feel less immediate.

38.) Not energetic enough for the song.

39.) I don’t know what I’m watching half the time. Those scribbles that frame some scenes are annoying and ugly.

40.) Pairing is cute, but after the initial concept is introduced there isn’t much more that adds to it.

41.) (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Cute, but too long, and not always dynamic enough.

42.) Troll.

43.) Has cute moments, but it’s mostly monotonous basketball.

44.) (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ It’s unpolished, but I enjoyed it.

45.) Pairing works, but the AMV is a segue, and without a before or after, it’s unfulfilling.

46.) Cute.

47.) Interlacing :( Good pairing, some over literal lyric sync.

48.) I think this video has an identity crisis.

49.) (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ It’s definitely rough in a number of spots, but pairing is good, and it’s dramatic.

50.) It’s much longer than it needs to be.

51.) (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ All the clips play at double speed (or more) and suffer for it. Mask transitions look cheesy. -_-

52.) I dub thee, “Death by Twitch.”

53.) Long intro is boring, AMV itself needed to be more upbeat.

54.) There’s a number of issues with this, but I like it.

55.) (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Something beautiful indeed.

56.) It’s quite clever and well-executed on the whole, but it doesn’t always “click.”

57.) (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ It’s a good concept, but there’s no piano in the song, so the song only works for half the concept.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:21 pm

SailorDeath wrote:
So here are some friendly statistics:

Pro videos found on the ORG: 9 (15%)

Pro videos that have competed in other contests (Convention or Other): 4 (7%)

Pro videos that have won in other contests: 1 (~2%)

I got these results just be searching song, artist and anime used.

The one that won awards won at 4 other cons. ಠ_ಠ

I'm sure that number would be higher if someone dedicated more time to it than me.

Course I WON'T name names in these stats. That'll make unmasking folks a bit too easy :Þ
Umm...there are more than 1 that won other contests...in fact, 3 of them have won other contests.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:30 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:A Table Flip for every needlessly large file.
I will take the blame for every large file. There was not enough time to re-encode videos submitted for convention viewing quality into a format meant more for online distribution. Many of these large video files are obviously submitted with the expectation of wanting to have the best looking video to play on the screen at the con. These videos often mean encoding using settings that offer less compression then what we are used to for online distribution methods. If there was more time I could have re-encoded them to be better suited for judging just like Quu did last year, but there just wasn't time, so they were all left as is, including leaving both versions of some videos who's editors submitted different versions.

So yes, they're all my fault. Don't take the file size out on the editors and their videos, instead I urge everyone to judge them on their own video merits.
Last edited by ngsilver on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:32 pm

Since even SD is refraining from associating vid #s with that info, I'll go with the assumption that self censoring of that sort of thing is required (or at least desired).
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “AMV Contests”