The AnimeUSA 2012 Thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
TnAdct1
Org Profile

Re: The AnimeUSA 2012 Thread

Post by TnAdct1 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:05 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:Out of curiosity, do you recall if "Crazy Maybe" played in Romance or Comedy?
That video was played in the Comedy category.

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Here's the ballot with all the finalists and their entries:

~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

VivifxAMV
Crazed Creativity
Org Profile

Post by VivifxAMV » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:09 pm

>< Best in show! :ying: I am really honored haha. This was such a lovely weekend with that news, and getting to see the season 3 premier of MLP.

*bronies on* Although if I keep winning all these contests Vic is coordinating, someone might suspect something is suspicious.... :uhoh:

Congrats to all the winners!
ImageImage

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:39 pm

I'm VicBond and I approve of this list.
Brakus wrote:I had live-blogged the results on my Facebook. The results were:

Trailer/Parody:
2nd- "The Avengers Live TV" by EimiJ7
1st- "Spiral Rangers" by snapxynith

Drama/Serious:
2nd- "7 Days" by drewaconclusion
1st- "Save the World" by milkmandan & maganate

Action:
2nd- "Naruto Ball Z Shippuuden" by RDS (Castor Troy)
1st- "All Hallow's Odd" by Warlike Swans

Romance/Sentimental:
2nd- "Beyond the Slope" by StarTrinity009
1st- "BFB" by Jump Cut Productions

Upbeat:
2nd- "Hands Up!" by Drabazz
1st- "Once Upon a Time in Russia" by Vlad Pohnert

Comedy:
2nd- "Kount Krausula" by drewaconclusion
1st- "Mother's Day Special" by l33tm33twad

Best in Show: "PonyNote" by VivifxAMV

Iron Editor: Erika Thompson (retains championship)

Interesting way the winners of Action and Comedy turned out -- at the end of the first count, there was a tie in the Action category. So the votes were recounted, and at the end of the second count, there was a definitive winner in Action but a tie in Comedy. Instead of counting for a 3rd time, the scores were averaged out in each category, and the winner edged out the runner-up by 1/2 vote. For what it's worth, I voted for "All Hallow's Odd" for Action. Who says your vote doesn't count in these things?

Anyway, congrats to all the winners. And also, thank you to the 15-or-so people that voted for my video in Action, even though I had no chance of placing in the top 2. :) :)

BTW, let me share a moment from Sunday's Random AMV showing: "Pony Bebop" plays, and a part of the audience groans in disapproval. Amanda and I laughed uncontrollably - such a perfect reaction. Later on, VicBond plays a Firefly mock OP set to Cowboy Bebop, then immediately plays a parody of that set to My Little Pony. I turn around and yell "DAMMIT VIC!" and the other few editors started laughing. :) So it just goes to show that not every Pony parody has been made... yet.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:42 pm

Brakus wrote:I had live-blogged the results on my Facebook.
That's what Twitter is for...letting the public know fail :dino:
VivifxAMV wrote:*bronies on* Although if I keep winning all these contests Vic is coordinating, someone might suspect something is suspicious.... :uhoh:
Don't worry, Vic's secret is out of the bag, we all know he's a Brony :nono:
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Cool... I beat out Hand up and it beat me out at Anime Vegas |:> Awesome! Spread the wealth I say!

Congrads to the winners.. looking forward now to next years new batch of AMVs :wink:

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

VivifxAMV
Crazed Creativity
Org Profile

Post by VivifxAMV » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:52 am

VivifxAMV wrote:*bronies on* Although if I keep winning all these contests Vic is coordinating, someone might suspect something is suspicious.... :uhoh:
Don't worry, Vic's secret is out of the bag, we all know he's a Brony :nono:[/quote]

Oh I know XP That's why he's the best. He's up there with coolest moments of my life where I won Best in Show at Otakon and I was like "Can I give you a hug?" And he was like "Nah, but you can give me a bro-hoof".

Major Pony Swag right there. Sonic rainbows were going on in the background everything became 20% cooler. It was just that legit of a moment.
ImageImage

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:28 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Brakus wrote:I had live-blogged the results on my Facebook.
That's what Twitter is for...letting the public know fail :dino:
But my tweets are private, and I didn't bother to un-protect them just for AUSA.
Don't worry, Vic's secret is out of the bag, we all know he's a Brony :nono:
Yeah, apparently he doesn't do AMVs anymore. He just does parody OPs using ponies.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:59 pm

VivifxAMV wrote:And he was like "Nah, but you can give me a bro-hoof".
You got jipped...you should have gotten this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm5HDx16U0I
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Miracle_Falcon
Org Profile

Post by Miracle_Falcon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:00 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:
Brakus wrote:
Interesting way the winners of Action and Comedy turned out -- at the end of the first count, there was a tie in the Action category. So the votes were recounted, and at the end of the second count, there was a definitive winner in Action but a tie in Comedy. Instead of counting for a 3rd time, the scores were averaged out in each category, and the winner edged out the runner-up by 1/2 vote. For what it's worth, I voted for "All Hallow's Odd" for Action. Who says your vote doesn't count in these things?
Interesting, and thanks! (And I lost a contest earlier this year by a single vote during a tie-breaker. Single votes *do* carry weight in these things.)

Out of curiosity, do you recall if "Crazy Maybe" played in Romance or Comedy?

Congratulations to the other winners ^_^
Ha, sounds like you and I are in a similar boat. I submitted Freeze Ray/Phone/Microwave to romance and found it was in comedy, which makes enough sense - though competing against Pony Note and Mother Lover is rough.

Btw: I didn't see this kid myself, but a few of my friends sitting near me swear there was a kid dressed up as Trunks during the AMV contest. He was taken out by an adult just a little after the Mother Lover video played.

Return to “AMV Contests”