The AnimeUSA 2012 Thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: The AnimeUSA 2012 Thread

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:12 pm

Deuce Loosely wrote:
VicBond007 wrote:
Deuce Loosely wrote:Hypothetical question...if I entered AMV Salad 6, would that mean it couldn't be exhibited during a panel?
Also, it's around 14 minutes in length minus the end credits...too long?
At 14 minutes, it had better be the greatest thing since Great came to Greatville if there's any chance of it getting in. If you wanted to recompile only YOUR contributions to the project (I think Doomimus did this last year) you're welcome to give that a shot as you might have better luck getting in a shorter video. I have no problem with it being shown elsewhere at AUSA, I can really only govern my room, which has it's schedule already locked down.
Hmmm...I'll send it to you and let you be the judge.
If it's scored out of the finals or it's decided it won't be included, life goes on. ;)
Considering the rules say that an entry cannot contain audio from dubs, your entry would be disqualified...
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:29 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Deuce Loosely wrote:Hypothetical question...if I entered AMV Salad 6, would that mean it couldn't be exhibited during a panel?
In that case, might have to chop out whichever clips contain them.
Would be a shame but them's the rules...
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:33 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote: Considering the rules say that an entry cannot contain audio from dubs, (Richard's) entry would be disqualified...
I've made the case about that rule being a double standard, and Vic's made his case that it's his contest. But there are ways to work around it without running afoul of the rules. :)

In any event, I myself trying to get out one more fun video to send for AUSA. And I promise it won't break any of the rules. :)
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Brakus wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote: Considering the rules say that an entry cannot contain audio from dubs, (Richard's) entry would be disqualified...
I've made the case about that rule being a double standard, and Vic's made his case that it's his contest. But there are ways to work around it without running afoul of the rules. :)

In any event, I myself trying to get out one more fun video to send for AUSA. And I promise it won't break any of the rules. :)
It's a double standard that I can't help. We live in the land of the lawsuit.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:05 pm

Deuce Loosely wrote:
VicBond007 wrote:
At 14 minutes, it had better be the greatest thing since Great came to Greatville if there's any chance of it getting in. If you wanted to recompile only YOUR contributions to the project (I think Doomimus did this last year) you're welcome to give that a shot as you might have better luck getting in a shorter video. I have no problem with it being shown elsewhere at AUSA, I can really only govern my room, which has it's schedule already locked down.
Hmmm...I'll send it to you and let you be the judge.
If it's scored out of the finals or it's decided it won't be included, life goes on. ;)
You haven't asked permission from the other creators to submit this.

I explicitly do NOT give you permission to enter the clips Cygnet & I contributed to the Salad in any contest.

Parodic Productions
Org Profile

Post by Parodic Productions » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Yeah, I haven't been able to get around finishing a new video in time (surprise), so I just submitted Squid Girl Is Metal again. People liked that one, right? That, plus I don't think people would look fondly on a video featuring Foxy Shazam's "I Like It" song. Maybe Tigercon and/or Katsucon.

Also, I didn't confirm I was going to AnimeUSA on the form, because I'm still not sure whether or not to go. Money's been pretty tight lately, so I've been playing things by ear. Next month shall be the determining factor.

Jefferys
Org Profile

Post by Jefferys » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:46 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:You haven't asked permission from the other creators to submit this.

I explicitly do NOT give you permission to enter the clips Cygnet & I contributed to the Salad in any contest.
FWIW, I'd say that the AMV Salad comps should stand on their own merit outside of any contests. It's in that same vein that AMV Hell and plenty of fan parodies exist wherein they can be given their own showcase block. I, for one, do appreciate multi-editor projects like these are getting the following and opportunity to have specifically scheduled blocks of time.

The meaning of this, though, is that these works should not be buried amongst submissions that are vying for attention and different purpose. Besides, as the compilation producer already did his task to separate the chaff from the wheat, there was already somewhat of a contest in getting a good and decent finished product. I'm sure that flows exactly as it is supposed to be.

Right, that's my .02 and I will get off my soapbox now...
Jefferson Eng - As heard on the Otaku Generation podcast
http://twitter.com/jeffersoneng | https://www.facebook.com/JeffersonEng
Tom Servo: Oh, they're flying into a Roger Dean album cover.
Crow T. Robot: They're very into Yes on this planet.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:09 pm

Jefferys wrote:
Warlike Swans wrote:You haven't asked permission from the other creators to submit this.

FWIW, I'd say that the AMV Salad comps should stand on their own merit outside of any contests. It's in that same vein that AMV Hell and plenty of fan parodies exist wherein they can be given their own showcase block. I, for one, do appreciate multi-editor projects like these are getting the following and opportunity to have specifically scheduled blocks of time.

The meaning of this, though, is that these works should not be buried amongst submissions that are vying for attention and different purpose. Besides, as the compilation producer already did his task to separate the chaff from the wheat, there was already somewhat of a contest in getting a good and decent finished product. I'm sure that flows exactly as it is supposed to be.

Right, that's my .02 and I will get off my soapbox now...
True enough.
It was just a thought anyway.
Then I thought about all the re-editing that would have to be done which would render it a poor representation of the project anyway.
Besides...14 minutes is probably asking too much. :P
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

Iren S.S.
Guns N' Vincents
Org Profile

Post by Iren S.S. » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:56 am

Do you accept enries only from US? :roll:

Jefferys
Org Profile

Post by Jefferys » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:07 am

Iren S.S. wrote:Do you accept enries only from US? :roll:
I'm not Vic, but I believe international entries are acceptable. You don't have to be present at con for your entry to be shown. For the AnimeNext contest, we received entries from people outside the US.
Jefferson Eng - As heard on the Otaku Generation podcast
http://twitter.com/jeffersoneng | https://www.facebook.com/JeffersonEng
Tom Servo: Oh, they're flying into a Roger Dean album cover.
Crow T. Robot: They're very into Yes on this planet.

Return to “AMV Contests”