Anime Expo 2012 AMV Contest Thread - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
XStylus
Org Profile

Re: Anime Expo 2012 AMV Contest Thread - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!!

Post by XStylus » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:26 pm

RAWdangers wrote:I feel the need to point out that Lance Armstrong does not run and is also currently in a pretty big doping lawsuit, not sure if he was the best choice of examples.
:bear:
You guys nitpick over every little detail... :rofl:
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:52 pm

He must be doping pretty hard if he's competing in triathlons without running.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:37 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:
xstylus wrote: • Fun, Dance, & Experimental
This should be relatively controversy free.
[rageface]
It needs to say upbeat in there!!!
[/rageface]
I suspect you were half joking, but I would like to point out that I think upbeat vids will find fairly decent homes in the new category structure. Let me give a few examples from this year's Fun category:

"FULLMETAL's BACK" by Rider would likely continue to be considered "Fun".
"Safety Dance" by Shin would obviously be considered "Dance" (which is still the same category).
"Smile" by Sephiroth would probably compete quite nicely as "Sentimental".

Feel free to PM me some examples of "upbeat" AMVs that might have some difficulty fitting in. I'll see what I can do. However, let me state that it is impossible to have perfect categories for everything unless I made this a ten-plus category event, in which case it'd be a godawful mess. However, I do think we've moved away from trying to fit square pegs in round holes. 8-)

Dear god, the number of Director's Chairs I'd have to buy... :P

foenanko wrote:Does "Non AMV" for Trailer mean still using anime as a source, just to a trailer audio, not music?
Hmm. If the phrase needs clarification then I should probably remove it, but you are correct. The implication was that trailers and parodies aren't quite anime music videos.
Last edited by XStylus on Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:45 pm

xstylus wrote:
Shin-AMV wrote:
xstylus wrote: • Fun, Dance, & Experimental
This should be relatively controversy free.
[rageface]
It needs to say upbeat in there!!!
[/rageface]
I suspect you were half joking, but I would like to point out that I think upbeat vids will find fairly decent homes in the new category structure. Let me give a few examples from this year's Fun category:

"FULLMETAL's BACK" by Rider would likely continue to be considered "Fun".
"Safety Dance" by Shin would obviously be considered "Dance" (which is still the same category).
"Smile" by Sephiroth would probably compete quite nicely as "Sentimental".

Feel free to PM me some examples of "upbeat" AMVs that might have some difficulty fitting in. I'll see what I can do. However, let me state that it is impossible to have perfect categories for everything unless I made this a ten-plus category event, in which case it'd be a godawful mess. However, I do think we've moved away from trying to fit square pegs in round holes. 8-)

Dear god, the number of Director's Chairs I'd have to buy... :P

haha yeah I was just joking.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:49 pm

I'm proud to announce that the AX2012 AMV Contest thread is now the longest going AX thread, no, longest going AMV Contest thread in all of a-m-v.org's (only the old yahoo mailing list discussions come close) history. :uhoh: :shock:

62 pages + Michael's initial 11 page thread = 73 pages.

|:> :awesome: :ying:

The AX 2010 and 2011 threads come close at 49 pages. All of the AX threads from years before that don't even come close.

We are all truly AX drama queens. |:> :jester:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Seijin_Dinger
Moron #69
Org Profile

Post by Seijin_Dinger » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:46 pm

I would like to pose the arguement why a non-anime music video shouldnt be considered if it falls outside the specified perimeters. This goes to what I used a smy rule of thumb if I ever needed to make this type of call.

Most of the entrants (with a few exceptions here and there) are members of the Org, and if it came down to it, I would look if the Org allowed for uploads of videos comprised of that series, so if it wasnt allowed at the Org, I didnt allow it in the contest.

To the best of my knowledge, last I knew, Avatar the Last Airbender is currently not allowed as a primary source.
Sakura-Con AMV Contest 2005-2012, Vice Chairman 2013-2018, Chairman 2019-2024, Retired

MisterFurious
Org Profile

Post by MisterFurious » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:11 am

Castor Troy wrote:I'm proud to announce that the AX2012 AMV Contest thread is now the longest going AX thread, no, longest going AMV Contest thread in all of a-m-v.org's (only the old yahoo mailing list discussions come close) history. :uhoh: :shock:

The AX 2010 and 2011 threads come close at 49 pages. All of the AX threads from years before that don't even come close.

And our parents said we would never amount to anything...

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:00 am

Castor Troy wrote:I'm proud to announce that the AX2012 AMV Contest thread is now the longest going AX thread, no, longest going AMV Contest thread in all of a-m-v.org's (only the old yahoo mailing list discussions come close) history. :uhoh: :shock:

We went above and beyond this year, guys. Im proud of you all.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:56 am

xstylus wrote:I am also open to hearing arguments for or against permitting vids with primary footage from shows that are, for all intents and purposes, anime in every way but nationality, such as Avatar: The Last Airbender and Boondocks.
one year too late!!!! foiled again DX your chairs would have been mine, ryan!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

glad you dropped "experimental."

xstylus wrote:I think it's harmful and disrespectful to the event and the at-con audience (and damaging to the reaction to your video) to post the video online in advance of an event you plan to show your video at (regardless of the event, be it ours or others). And it's not as though it's a "product you refuse to deliver". It's a product that will be delivered after its run is complete. It's no different than Hollywood releasing a movie after its theatrical run is completed. If a studio released the DVD the same day (or before) it was in the theater, why go to the theater?
continuing to read everything, everyone is making very valid claims and opinions. however this one i have to protest against myself. this attitude comes off to me very arrogant and ambitious. it's saying that the contest/convention itself are what's most important, and i'm sorry but they're not. the amvs themselves are what are most important. while i acknowledge that you put together a very solid and professional show, troy, the amvs are the stars, not you and not us as editors. after viewing live contests my main thoughts are about what songs i need to go buy, which amvs i need to download, and what animes i need to check out. and that's how it should be. if a contest is run well, that should be what people are thinking about when they leave the show. not "oh the lighting was so good" or "i didn't see a single stutter". it'd be great if people would come up to us after putting on such a great show and give us the acknowledgement that we deserve and rarely receive, but it's not something our roles as techies is ever going to achieve. and trying to push ourselves into the spotlight like that makes us look proud and foolish.

and i forget who said it earlier, but attendees do forget about videos at conventions if they're not available online for immediate download. and that hurts their status as editors, particularly on this site, because all those views and downloads they would have received were taken from them.
Last edited by Rider4Z on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:17 am

Rider4Z wrote:
xstylus wrote:I am also open to hearing arguments for or against permitting vids with primary footage from shows that are, for all intents and purposes, anime in every way but nationality, such as Avatar: The Last Airbender and Boondocks.
one year too late!!!! foiled again DX your chairs would have been mine, ryan!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Not so fast. I said that it's open for discussion, not that I was going to do it. :P

Return to “AMV Contests”