Animethon 19 AMV Contest - with WINNERS

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Bm-atticus
Org Profile

Re: Animethon 19 AMV Contest - FINALISTS

Post by Bm-atticus » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:36 am

Congratulations to all of the lovely finalists!

Looks like mine didn't get in this time around, but looking at the list, I think L33tmeatwad is right and comedy is going to be one big load of amazing!

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:52 am

Edited to remove rant. Bad luck on my part to get 3 "no"s from 3 smaller conventions. But as they say, "Bad luck often brings good luck."

Whether you liked my video or not, thanks for at least watching. :)
Last edited by Brakus on Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

ranmaman
Org Profile

Post by ranmaman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:16 pm

Congrats to all the Finalists

time for pointless rant :P

...Ouch... that hurts just a little inside XD - being 36 videos... 6 editors got 2 of their videos accepted for the finals it was at least getting to be in the finals was something to look forward to in the contest... now its almost not worth going anymore - being it seems the same people get in to all the same contests, sure my videos aren't the best... but it seems that's what it comes down to now - no room for the amateurs in the contests anymore XD.. being last year by submitting a 2nd video... my better video seemed to get ousted since i got 2nd place at otafest...figured it was the reason it didn't get in, so i decided to just submit 1 this year to prevent the not as good one getting in over what i considered the better one.... dedin't seem to matter i guess :P

I never expect to win anything at these things... but to not even make the finals makes it harder for me to justify making the trip up there, now seems the only thing really driving me up there is the voice actors...

I don't now why - but with so many entries this year i was actually expecting not to make it in.... but in my opinion i thought my video would be good enough to squeak in... I do love to sit in on the contests.. mostly to see any audience reactions on my video(s) - Winning isn't what its about for me - its just a bonus if it happens... sure it gets shown on Sunday, (which i probably won't beable to watch that either) but even if i still wouldn't have made it in, 6 editors getting 2 spots, that just sucks for everyone else.

/end of pointless rant

Again Congrats to all the finalists .....maybe I'll come watch anyway - just to see how much better these videos are over mine :P

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:25 pm

ranmaman wrote:the only thing really driving me up there is the voice actors...
Cathy Weseluck will be there and I'm sad I can't go. :(

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:35 pm

116 entries make the contest a big one, with only 30% of the videos making it so competition is hard. Judging is done blind to be as fair as possible and all videos have the same chance of making the finals regardless of who makes them.

On a side note, we also DO show all the entries accepted in one of our BIGGEST video room too, not all contests do that and it's usually well attended. I have worked out the play list so the local videos have a decent time being played so your video will have an audience. I'll be checking in on that room from time to time so if anyone who is there wants to ask me when their video(s) play, I'll give them an approximate time window.

Oh, BTW we are all "amateurs" here :wink:

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

ranmaman
Org Profile

Post by ranmaman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:32 pm

well Vlad you for 1 are no Amateur - your damn well F***ing amazing - especially that Once upon a time in Russia video - I'd never be able to do that if i tried XD - i think i put alot of time into some of my videos.. .then i looks at stuff like yours and other peoples videos and can full on realize why i might not make it...

- the only think is that if a contest is this big of entries - each person should only be able to get 1 video in the finals regardless of how good they both are.... even if my video still never made the finals - I'd still be much more happier seeing 36 different names as opposed to 30 - it's almost like you gotta be sleeping with the judges to get in :P - as being I'm sure as most of the finalists are frequent submitters to most of the contests, they probably all have good friends on the judging boards......... at least kinda seems that way anyway... or maybe I'm just more disappointed in myself that my video wasn't good enough to make it in... as i pretty much made it for this contest and has not been in any other contests. kinda puts a damper on wanting to edit anything for a while.

as far as the all entries play list - are locals gonna be first-ish or near the end cause i don't know if i could watch approx 400mins of AMVs... .. .possibly longer depending on length of some :P assuming 100+ videos @ approx 4mins each = 400mins
Fall_Child42 wrote:
ranmaman wrote:the only thing really driving me up there is the voice actors...
Cathy Weseluck will be there and I'm sad I can't go. :(
she is the main reason I'm going.. not because she's Spike (though a good reason) but because she also did Shampoo in Ranma 1/2.. which I'll have plenty of that for her to sign :D seasons 1-7+OVA's+Movies= Entire Series :D

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:13 am

Brakus wrote:everybody is spamming every AMV contest out there with their entries at every convention in North America.

That one.

But that's not a discussion that we should clutter up this thread with. |:>

But yeah, it's gotten baaaaaad.

ProjectBarcodeError
Org Profile

Post by ProjectBarcodeError » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:25 am

@ranters

considering the fact that:

-most attendees don't get a damn about who's done what, and some contests refuses identifications such as outros in the amv.

-most people coming to watch aren't part of the amv community/veteran congoers, so they don't have the "oh that amv what at this too" problem.

-the overall quality of a contest is bigger if we see 2 amvs from an excellent editor than one from the same editor and another one less good. and some contest refuses multiple entries in the same category, so the editor, at least, will send different kind of AMV ( not 2 Luffy vs Shiki AMVs on Linkin Park and Disturbed).

-Like Vlad said, there's most of the time a "overflow" timespan in convention where popular and/or non-finalist AMVs are shown. it's not the big shot, but that's still fun.

-if you think the judges favorite friends(oh it can happens, true story), don't bother to participate. explicitely biaised amv contest don't deserve attention.

-the spamming in North America is invalid; G-Anime have less and less amv each year( despite the fact they changed the staff after the disaster 2-3 years ago), otakuthon this year (live) had to add unqualified AMVs from last year to fill the contest , cape & kimono got less than 45 mins of amv submitted ( but that was a first official year)... ALL the north american conventions aren't shown on an equal way on communities, so please, consider everyone when you want to use "every convention". And don't be shy to participe to the mentionned contests, they don't bite and have place for everyone actually ;).

on a personnal point , i think a "local/national" category could be a very good + for attendees (noticing they're is local people competing internationaly), local editor (more assured broadcast) and staff( promoting/cheering local talent). the "best amv in alberta" is a good example, but a top 5 ( if possible), can be as good too, depending on of much locals submitted.

counter-ranter out, and let's get the party started next week:

Last edited by ProjectBarcodeError on Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:37 am

My last comment on this.

The AMV contest is open to everyone, I make no restrictions or prejudice on who enters nor do I feel it's the contest's job to manipulate what makes it and does not. Lets say Creator "X" submits two different but very good AMVs. So if they are best two video, your saying one should get in and one should not? Really? Isn't that kind of like saying if Canada has two top athletes in an Olympic event, only one should make it in and the other not to give another country a chance?

I put the best balanced and diverse judging panel together as I can and give them all the videos with no credits (Blind). Their combined decisions make up the finalists regardless of who they are, but based purely on the video and so long as I'm running it, I'll be fair to everyone.

Oh and please give the judges and myself some credit and not insult their or my integrity, most don't even know each other nor who their peer judges are so and I really don’t like the implications you have suggested and they probably would not either. I hope this is does not come from bitterness of that a particular video should make it in over another.

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:11 pm

Vlad,

We know each other well enough, and you and I both know that I'm not knocking your integrity or style of judging. I'm just chalking it up to some bad luck on my part. With 116 entries and only 30-something finalists, I knew going in I'd have roughly only a 1-in-4 shot of making the final list. But this contest just so happened to be the third one after Otakon where I found out I didn't make finals.

The *other* SenBASA video actually failed to make finals at a different convention, so if it can happen to me, it can happen to anybody. So again, I'm not knocking you or the judges or anyone's ability to judge. I'm just chalking this up to bad luck on my part. Lord knows if there's something I've learned in this forum over the years, it's not to blame others for not making finals (or not winning in a category) -- and not to knock other participants for making it in the finals (and eventually winning a category).
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Return to “AMV Contests”