The Anime Boston prescreenings

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:26 pm

xDreww wrote:Honesty, in my opinion. The "Audience" Which are also the "viewers" Majority of them vote for their favorite anime/song and don't really look into another video that took part in that one category, or the other, which had a lot more feeling into the winner, or finalist. I still think if you have a popular song, you'll make it, or and win. That's just me. Seen it happen plenty of times, which kind of sucks. Can't blame the viewers to not know anything about an actually concept for an AMV. About the judges who decide what videos make it to the finals. I don't even know.
If you want your video to win because it has a lot of skill involved in the editing despite the song/anime choices, submit to online contests that are editor judged like Akross. If you want to win an audience of people who the majority don't anything about editing, then make videos using using popular songs/anime.

Moral of the story is, if you want to get praise for technical proficiency, don't ask people that don't know what to look for to look for it. That said, a well told story/well done video can always draw an audience in, so you also need to do a little evaluation to see why people did not get drawn into a particular video.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:47 pm

xDreww wrote:Honesty, in my opinion. The "Audience" Which are also the "viewers" Majority of them vote for their favorite anime/song and don't really look into another video that took part in that one category, or the other, which had a lot more feeling into the winner, or finalist. I still think if you have a popular song, you'll make it, or and win. That's just me. Seen it happen plenty of times, which kind of sucks. Can't blame the viewers to not know anything about an actually concept for an AMV. About the judges who decide what videos make it to the finals. I don't even know.

...And for my next trick I shall combine Death Note (which I hate) & Taylor Swift (whom I hold in contempt)! The kiddies will call me a genius, and I shall laugh maniacally! :twisted: Mwahahaha!*

Seriously though, I think you're being too hard on people. Yes, popular sources give certain videos an edge they didn't 'earn,' (and this tendency does seem more exaggerated at some cons). That said, I think most people try to vote with some integrity, and while a middle-of-the-road Dragonball AMV may beat a better AMV with an obscure source, I don't think it will beat a stellar one.

We are all aware of the biases, and we all have an equal opportunity to exploit them if we chose. (Though some of us may have higher tolerances for annoying songs.)

*Apologies to Death Note & Taylor Swift fans.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:10 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:...And for my next trick I shall combine Death Note (which I hate) & Taylor Swift (whom I hold in contempt)! The kiddies will call me a genius, and I shall laugh maniacally! :twisted: Mwahahaha!*
Death Note + Taylor Swift == This:

Kira + L == Sparks Fly
Kira + Kiyomi Takada == You Belong with Me
Kyosuke Higuchi + Misa == Our Song

You're welcome :bear:

Miracle_Falcon
Org Profile

Post by Miracle_Falcon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:45 pm

Or we could all just make the AMVs we really want to and hope that other people like them too. I'm assuming that's what we all did anyway, right?

I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to pander to the audience with my AMV hell idea, but I more did it 'cause I thought I had good ideas for it, and wanted to put them into motion. I don't think I could stand making stuff just 'cause I think other people will love it.

Though come to think of it, a negative audience reaction is partially holding me back from the amv I really wanna make right now. I want to make a really sweet DavisxKari AMV from digimon... I just rediscovered my pre-teen otp!

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:55 pm

An easy win would be just take random Vic Mignogna quotes from fan panels, auto-tune them to a silly medly type song, like Gourmet Race, and then lipsync to Ed from FMA and/or Tamaki from Ouran in slapsticky and silly situations. Oh, the fangirls would squeal in delight. Double points if you can make it a crazy yaoi crossover.

On a side note, I know what I'm entering next year. :ying:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
Warlike Swans wrote:...And for my next trick I shall combine Death Note (which I hate) & Taylor Swift (whom I hold in contempt)! The kiddies will call me a genius, and I shall laugh maniacally! :twisted: Mwahahaha!*
Death Note + Taylor Swift == This:

Kira + L == Sparks Fly

I'd like to see "You Belong With Me" with Kira, L, and Misa. With L on the outside looking in.

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote: Death Note + Taylor Swift == This:

Kira + L == Sparks Fly

I'd like to see "You Belong With Me" with Kira, L, and Misa. With L on the outside looking in.
No! If I'm doing "You Belong with Me" I'm making Ryuk the main character.

Also, I hate you both for encouraging me.

Miracle_Falcon wrote: Though come to think of it, a negative audience reaction is partially holding me back from the amv I really wanna make right now. I want to make a really sweet DavisxKari AMV from digimon... I just rediscovered my pre-teen otp!
You should make it. Not everything has to be for contests.

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:39 pm

Warlike Swans wrote: No! If I'm doing "You Belong with Me" I'm making Ryuk the main character.

/chant
do it. do it. do it.
/end chant
:bear:

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:44 pm

Ya know, I do have to say that all this crap about popular song/source being an auto-win isn't entirely true...I used a KE$HA song last year...I think my average comment on that video was "I hate Ke$ha...but I like this video...damn you!"... :rofl:

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:
Warlike Swans wrote: No! If I'm doing "You Belong with Me" I'm making Ryuk the main character.

/chant
do it. do it. do it.
/end chant

But it would raise a moral dilemma. Which is worse; $0.99 worth of piracy, or $0.99 of support for "art" that I find morally reprehensible and culturally backward?

Also the song is obnoxious

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:
Shin-AMV wrote:

/chant
do it. do it. do it.
/end chant

But it would raise a moral dilemma. Which is worse; $0.99 worth of piracy, or $0.99 of support for "art" that I find morally reprehensible and culturally backward?

Also the song is obnoxious
Amazon.com MP3 credit + Netflix == Video Materials!

Return to “AMV Contests”