The Anime Boston prescreenings

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

The Anime Boston prescreenings

Postby Songbird21 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:56 pm

(Edited to reflect some responses)

Am I the only one who thinks the prescreenings are a bad idea? I think AB should use a panel of 5 or 6 judges instead. People who will make sure they are impartial and will take their task seriously. I've heard some upsetting stories about the prescreenings. Like if people don't like an anime or song they ignore the vid playing. My sister even told me she heard from a friend that went to one of the prescreenings that one person was trying to get their friend's vid into the contest so they marked all the other vids down on purpose in that catagory, just to get their friend in.

I also would like the judging of the contest to be done by a panel of judges. Your average audience member doesn't know much about the technical side of AMVs. They only know they like anime X and song Y and if they founf the vid entertaining. It would be cool if there was still an "Audience choice" award but everything else should be an impartial judging panel.

Yes this is partially spurned by my Inuyasha vid not getting in (Honestly everyone I showed it to is utterly shocked) but I've truthfully been thinking about it since last year.

Also, can anyone who was at the prescreenings tell me what they thought of my Inuyasha vid set to ET by Katy Perry? It was in romance. I'm just wondering why it didn't make it in.
Last edited by Songbird21 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best editing Connecticon 2013: Bravery

Switchplate City- Custom lightswitch covers (Some anime related), etch glassware and more!
User avatar
Songbird21
 
Joined: 18 Jun 2002
Location: MA, USA
Status: Single

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Postby l33tmeatwad » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:12 pm

If you have a group of judges, you could end up with other complains about them being bias to certain styles/anime/songs/etc. There is no error free way to select finalists. All I can say is keep trying your hardest, even some of the best editors don't get their videos into every contest they enter into.
Sites: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
Guides & Scripts: AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
User avatar
l33tmeatwad
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Status: Trolling

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Postby Radical_Yue » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:14 pm

While I don't agree with everything you've said I will agree that judging videos while drunk or skipping videos based on source is fucked up.

For one, I'd feel offended if I found out that the people judging whether or not my video made it into the contest felt the need to get wasted just so they "could make it through."

Also, it's unfair to the contestants. I'm all for making it a party, but level headed opinions should be what the voting is based off of, not getting so messed up you don't even remember any of the videos by the end of it.

As for source discrimination, this is something the contest coordinator needs to take control of. Someone needs to say "You're not judging these videos based on what you like. It's based on what is the best of the best and nothing more." It's rather simple.

But then again, maybe I'm just biased from taking part in competent judging?

That being said, I've never entered Anime Boston before and now I'm pretty sure I'll never enter it in the future.
Image
User avatar
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Status: The flamer with heart of gold~<3

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Postby aesling » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:18 pm

What Yue said. Sometimes your video just won't make it into a con, no matter how awesome you and your friends thought it was. However, getting completely smashed for a pre-screening is lame, stupid, and unprofessional. You guys should be utterly ashamed of yourselves.
User avatar
aesling
Mad Scientist
 
Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Location: Wall Rose
Status: Human McNugget

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:49 pm

I'd express all views over on the one people present at said event would actually read: http://forums.animeboston.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14690
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Postby Ileia » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:50 pm

Before you guys condemn the whole thing, you might like to know that the rumors have been greatly exaggerated:

http://forums.animeboston.com/viewtopic ... 31#p224431


Edit: Damn, Bashar beat me >_>
User avatar
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer
 
Joined: 09 Aug 2004
Location: On teh Z-drive, CornDog
Status: ....to completion

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Postby Warlike Swans » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:10 pm

Contests at Anime Conventions are events aimed at entertaining the audiences, and voting makes the audience more invested in the event. Even if audiences don't choose fairly, I still think it's better for them to have an event they can actually participate in.

I think the biggest flaw with prescreening is that the attention spans of prescreeners can't possibly hold steady over the course of hours, but I can't say I have a solution to mitigate that. I don't think prescreeners always do an ideal job, but I wouldn't be capable of keeping a rein on my attention span for the duration of a prescreening either.
User avatar
Warlike Swans
 
Joined: 20 Oct 2010
Status: Pending

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Postby Songbird21 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:13 pm

Warlike Swans wrote:I think the biggest flaw with prescreening is that the attention spans of prescreeners can't possibly hold steady over the course of hours, but I can't say I have a solution to mitigate that. I don't think prescreeners always do an ideal job, but I wouldn't be capable of keeping a rein on my attention span for the duration of a prescreening either.

Hmm. Perhaps hold the prescreenings over the course of 2 days? Or maybe having a half hour break in between?

The following is copied from the AB forums. :)

Elder_God wrote:1.) In spite of how I play up the prescreenings as a get wasted off your ass party, the fact of the matter is that it is not nearly as wild as I play it up to be. Occasionally people do overdo it, but if that happens I toss their ballot. This year only one person got drunk, and he wasn't even a prescreener. Just a roommate of a couple of the prescreeners who showed up unannounced. In spite of everything we say, we actually do take our jobs seriously.


Ah. I see. I was misinformed then. Sorry about that.


Elder_God wrote:There are a lot of prescreeners. 27 this year in fact. Even if one person does deliberately try and torpedo a video by giving it a zero, or giving every single video a zero except for one favorite a zero, just the sheer numbers alone cancel it out. They would have to get just about everyone to vote with them to affect the outcome.


Hmm. I see your point.

Elder_God wrote:Being told you win because you chose a popular anime or song is simply an occupational hazard of making anime music videos and entering them into contests. If you are not prepared for that criticism, then you really should not be entering contests. Take the lesson of Tom the Fish as an example.

I'm not saying it's something that devistates my world but it's just frustrating. Tom was kind of a jerk though (At least from the examples of his behavior I've seen) That was where a lot of his criticism came from.

Elder_God wrote:Lastly, I go through this every year. No one is ever guaranteed to make the contest. Some years you make it, some you don't. That's just the way it is. You have made the contest in prior years and won. Take pride in that fact.


I do, but like I said it wasn’t just this year that made me think about this. It’s been in my head for a couple of years in fact.

I hope you don’t take my letter as an attack. It’s just the result of some concerns I had about the prescreenings. My vid not making it in this year was just the thing that made me finally voice my concerns. This contest is my one big thing every year. It’s one of the few points of my existence I take pride in so when I don’t make it in it’s devastating to me. I have a very easily bruised ego. Mostly because I don’t see much in myself. I hope you’re not made at me. *hug*
Best editing Connecticon 2013: Bravery

Switchplate City- Custom lightswitch covers (Some anime related), etch glassware and more!
User avatar
Songbird21
 
Joined: 18 Jun 2002
Location: MA, USA
Status: Single

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Postby Shin-AMV » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:40 pm

For all the contests I've entered, I've found that whether it ends up being a larger sampling size of prescreeners, a panel of judges, or just one judge there is going to be some level of disagreement on what should have been a finalist or other strange anomalies.

From what I've seen from past years of the AB finalist lists they've managed to put on a good show and keep it pretty competitive overall, and for the majority of the categories this year it seems the level of competition was pretty steep not just in terms of quantity but also quality just based on familiar names of people saying they qualified or didn't qualify.
Image
User avatar
Shin-AMV
 
Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Status: Emo Poptart

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:02 pm

Why is it that every con contest must use the same system i.e. panel of Judges, etc... I have my opinions, but still repect how the contest is chosen to run so long as it's reasonably fair (and that is subjective too)...

In the end, there are so many contests out there that everyone has a choice to enter those they feel asre judged to thier standards or opinions :wink:

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2014 AMV Coordinator
AX 2012 - 2014 AMV Assistant Manager
AWA Atlanta 2011-2014 VAT Programming Head
Otafest 2012 - 2014 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 11 - 21 AMV Coordinator
User avatar
Vlad G Pohnert
 
Joined: 02 Jan 2001
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Postby Miracle_Falcon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:20 am

You know, I hadn't looked into the judging system before this. The video I had that got in was shut out of the cons that had judges, but got into this one, and I'm not sure that's a coincidence. I honestly do like having the contests have different systems, though this could be a very biased opinion here. I've just been submitting to cons with the same system for so long that it's nice to have some variety.

Also, this is the first con I've submitted to in a long time that's felt like it's had this much community involvement, which I love. Most other anime convention forums are dead when it comes to the AMV contest. It's nice to see that this one's very much alive.
User avatar
Miracle_Falcon
 
Joined: 25 Jan 2004
Location: In New York or Maryland, depending on when you ask
Status: Awaiting the next con

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Postby kiarrens » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:52 am

Miracle_Falcon wrote:Also, this is the first con I've submitted to in a long time that's felt like it's had this much community involvement, which I love. Most other anime convention forums are dead when it comes to the AMV contest. It's nice to see that this one's very much alive.

The local editors (myself included) have always taken great pride in our involvement in the AMV events at AB. I've been involved in the "how to make an AMV" panels since the first year of the con and our AMV Dinner is always really well attended. :) Will you be coming to the con? We'd love to see you at the dinner!
ConnectiCon 2009 - 2013: FMV Contest Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2010 - 2013: Cosplay Chess Coordinator
AnimeBoston 2012/2013: Assistant Masquerade Coordinator
User avatar
kiarrens
Hagane no Aikousha
 
Joined: 04 Mar 2001
Location: The United States of Whatever

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Postby Miracle_Falcon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:08 pm

kiarrens wrote:
Miracle_Falcon wrote:Also, this is the first con I've submitted to in a long time that's felt like it's had this much community involvement, which I love. Most other anime convention forums are dead when it comes to the AMV contest. It's nice to see that this one's very much alive.

The local editors (myself included) have always taken great pride in our involvement in the AMV events at AB. I've been involved in the "how to make an AMV" panels since the first year of the con and our AMV Dinner is always really well attended. :) Will you be coming to the con? We'd love to see you at the dinner!


I'd love to be there too! I'm trying, but the problem is that I'm nowhere near local - I'm from Maryland. I'm in college in New York right now, though, and we're going to this con to celebrate three birthdays for close friends - and they took care of booking the hotel rooms, so we're gonna be there for the con, but my girlfriend and I don't know if we'll have a place to stay Thursday night yet. We're gonna ask said friends about the room nights soon - contacting them has had problems, as they are in Vienna for the week. But we're gonna try to be there for everything possible.
User avatar
Miracle_Falcon
 
Joined: 25 Jan 2004
Location: In New York or Maryland, depending on when you ask
Status: Awaiting the next con

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Postby Shin-AMV » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:34 pm

Miracle_Falcon wrote:
kiarrens wrote:
Miracle_Falcon wrote:Also, this is the first con I've submitted to in a long time that's felt like it's had this much community involvement, which I love. Most other anime convention forums are dead when it comes to the AMV contest. It's nice to see that this one's very much alive.

The local editors (myself included) have always taken great pride in our involvement in the AMV events at AB. I've been involved in the "how to make an AMV" panels since the first year of the con and our AMV Dinner is always really well attended. :) Will you be coming to the con? We'd love to see you at the dinner!


I'd love to be there too! I'm trying, but the problem is that I'm nowhere near local - I'm from Maryland. I'm in college in New York right now, though, and we're going to this con to celebrate three birthdays for close friends - and they took care of booking the hotel rooms, so we're gonna be there for the con, but my girlfriend and I don't know if we'll have a place to stay Thursday night yet. We're gonna ask said friends about the room nights soon - contacting them has had problems, as they are in Vienna for the week. But we're gonna try to be there for everything possible.


pfft. I'm flying in from Minnesota to be there. :P

Also, I'm splitting the room on friday/saturday, but its just me on Thursday. So if you're still in need for a place for just Thursday night, send me a PM.
Image
User avatar
Shin-AMV
 
Joined: 15 Mar 2010
Status: Emo Poptart

Re: The Anime Boston prescreenings

Postby xDreww » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:58 pm

Honesty, in my opinion. The "Audience" Which are also the "viewers" Majority of them vote for their favorite anime/song and don't really look into another video that took part in that one category, or the other, which had a lot more feeling into the winner, or finalist. I still think if you have a popular song, you'll make it, or and win. That's just me. Seen it happen plenty of times, which kind of sucks. Can't blame the viewers to not know anything about an actually concept for an AMV. About the judges who decide what videos make it to the finals. I don't even know.
Image
User avatar
xDreww
 
Joined: 07 Jan 2010

Next

Return to AMV Contests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests