(Edit, 5/29/12: AMV screening schedule and overflow playlists announced.)
(Edit, 6/10/12: Winners announced here!)
I'm here to announce that Cyanna and I (with valuable help from Jefferson) are running the AMV department at AnimeNEXT this year. Being the largest independently-run anime convention in the New Jersey/New York metro area, AnimeNEXT is returning to the Garden State Exhibit Center in Somerset, NJ, for the weekend of June 8-10, 2012.
As of 3/18/12, we are officially open for entries. The rules have been approved, though with ONE CHANGE from the tentative version: we are now equally accepting of 4:3 or 16:9 MPEG-1/-2 files.
This post will continue to be updated throughout the next few months.
AnimeNEXT 2012 AMV Contest Rules - Entry Form
Please read these rules completely, as we have made some important changes from last year, including:
- No preset categories. Categories will not be decided until after the field of finalists has been selected. Send us your horror, your experimental, your trailers, whatever!
- No anti-trolling rule. For this year, we don't care what awards a video has won as long as it was completed May 2011 or later.
- No maximum video length. Go ahead, send us your 16-minute-long prog rock epic.
- Entries sent by post must be postmarked by MAY 5 and received by MAY 12. Entries sent via FTP must be completely received by the end of MAY 5.
Additional reasons you should enter our contest:
- The rest of the convention staff has been very helpful in working with us to ensure that our department gets appropriate time slots reserved well in advance (and that we can announce winners at the Masquerade). No repeats of last year!
- There will be swag for the winners. And we will ship said swag if said winners can't claim it in person.
- As AnimeNEXT this year falls right on the Otakon AMV contest deadline, Vic has made an explicit exemption for us in the rules: awards won at AnimeNEXT will not disqualify a video from Otakon's contest.
As I type this, there are one and a half months remaining until our deadline. Go go go!