The Otakon 2012 Thread: AMV Contest Results All Up in Here

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Re: The Otakon 2012 Thread: AMV Contest Rules Pre-Release

Postby Brakus » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:56 pm

VicBond007 wrote:
xDreww wrote:Just making sure, if I enter Animenext and IF I win action,upbeat or whatever. That video can still take part of otakon right? I just want to be 100% sure.

Yes this is correct, provided you don't win anywhere else first.

In other words, the contest is open to "Nonwinners of one AMV contest other than AnimeNEXT." :) So technically this isn't a total maiden special weight affair.

I hope I can make it again this year.... I'm thinking an "every other year I make the contest" thing for me....
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff, AWA AMV VAT staff
"Defying the future one step at a time"
Brakus

Re: The Otakon 2012 Thread: AMV Contest Rules are Live

Postby irriadin » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:03 pm

How does AX fit into the trolling policy? Is it OK if a video wins at AX, or will it be DQ'd?
irriadin
BUBBLES!

Postby Scintilla » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:40 pm

Because Anime Expo occurs after the Otakon deadline, any wins there would not affect a video's Otakon eligibility.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Kazemon15 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:31 am

Hm...for some reason, my FTP client isn't connecting with the password and username I was given.

I'm using filezilla. Is there a problem with the server or is it me?
Currently replaying/recording: Tales of Vesperia (Xbox360) and Tales of Graces F (PS3)
ImageImage<-- Now available
Kazemon15

Postby VicBond007 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:57 pm

Kazemon15 wrote:Hm...for some reason, my FTP client isn't connecting with the password and username I was given.

I'm using filezilla. Is there a problem with the server or is it me?

For whatever reason, the otakon.homeip.net URL wasn't resolving until after I logged in to check on it. The IP never changed so I don't know why it derped up, but it's fixed now.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins
VicBond007

Postby xDreww » Sat May 05, 2012 11:31 pm

Question, I ant to submit my Otakon entry to AMV france Japan expo as well. I think it's an online contest also? Forgot. Just wondering if it's also okay for me to do that? The deadline is Jun 10th, and For me to submit my Otakon Entry is Jun 11th right?
xDreww

Postby Scintilla » Sun May 06, 2012 7:02 am

xDreww wrote:Question, I ant to submit my Otakon entry to AMV france Japan expo as well. I think it's an online contest also? Forgot.

Actually, Japan Expo International is the biggest animé convention in Europe (and possibly the world outside of Japan, if I remember correctly). The event itself doesn't occur until July 5-8.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby VicBond007 » Sun May 06, 2012 2:06 pm

Scintilla wrote:
xDreww wrote:Question, I ant to submit my Otakon entry to AMV france Japan expo as well. I think it's an online contest also? Forgot.

Actually, Japan Expo International is the biggest animé convention in Europe (and possibly the world outside of Japan, if I remember correctly). The event itself doesn't occur until July 5-8.

This. It's based on other conventions' ACTUAL DATE, not their submission deadline.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins
VicBond007

Postby Shin-AMV » Sun May 06, 2012 5:22 pm

How does Big Contest factor into it? Its an online ongoing contest, and the winners are announced something like 10 days after the final video is played, which could be before or after the Otakon deadline. I'm guessing if we go strictly by the wording of the rules Big Contest wouldn't even factor in since its not a convention or anything, but just wanted to check in to make sure.
Shin-AMV

Postby VicBond007 » Sun May 06, 2012 8:10 pm

Shin-AMV wrote:How does Big Contest factor into it? Its an online ongoing contest, and the winners are announced something like 10 days after the final video is played, which could be before or after the Otakon deadline. I'm guessing if we go strictly by the wording of the rules Big Contest wouldn't even factor in since its not a convention or anything, but just wanted to check in to make sure.

Strictly online contests don't count.
VicBond007

Postby xDreww » Sun May 06, 2012 8:28 pm

VicBond007 wrote:
Shin-AMV wrote:How does Big Contest factor into it? Its an online ongoing contest, and the winners are announced something like 10 days after the final video is played, which could be before or after the Otakon deadline. I'm guessing if we go strictly by the wording of the rules Big Contest wouldn't even factor in since its not a convention or anything, but just wanted to check in to make sure.

Soo..can I do one video for both Otakon and Japan Expo?
xDreww

Postby Shin-AMV » Sun May 06, 2012 9:01 pm

xDreww wrote:
VicBond007 wrote:

Soo..can I do one video for both Otakon and Japan Expo?

Short answer would be yes.

Long Answer
The results of Japan Expo don't get released until the Con which happens around July 5-7th, which satisfies Otakon's No Wins up to June 11th Deadline Rule, and Otakon doesn't happen until July 27th which wouldn't interfere with Japan Expo's exclusive premier rule.
Shin-AMV

Postby xDreww » Mon May 07, 2012 9:11 am

[/quote]

Short answer would be yes.

Long Answer
The results of Japan Expo don't get released until the Con which happens around July 5-7th, which satisfies Otakon's No Wins up to June 11th Deadline Rule, and Otakon doesn't happen until July 27th which wouldn't interfere with Japan Expo's exclusive premier rule.[/quote]

Cool! Thanks for letting me know in more detail shin. ^^
xDreww

Postby TheLuminaireShow » Thu May 17, 2012 7:41 pm

So I have a question regarding formatting. Here's my source material:

712 x 480
1.1980 pixel ratio
23.973 fps

Contest says it'll be in 720 x 480 in 4:3 so what's the best way to interpret this footage and get rid of letter boxing? If I tell Adobe Premiere to interpret my footage as NTSC Widescreen (1.2121 pixel ratio) than it previews almost perfectly, there's like less than 4 pixels of vertical black. But contest says to encode for 4:3 playback, which gives the horrible letter boxing. I guess I don't understand the difference between 4:3 and 16:9 if they both fit inside the 720x480 frame.

Help is much appreciated
Name's Luminaire. Oboishinasai!
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheLuminaireShow
TheLuminaireShow

Postby VicBond007 » Thu May 17, 2012 9:09 pm

TheLuminaireShow wrote:So I have a question regarding formatting. Here's my source material:

712 x 480
1.1980 pixel ratio
23.973 fps

Contest says it'll be in 720 x 480 in 4:3 so what's the best way to interpret this footage and get rid of letter boxing? If I tell Adobe Premiere to interpret my footage as NTSC Widescreen (1.2121 pixel ratio) than it previews almost perfectly, there's like less than 4 pixels of vertical black. But contest says to encode for 4:3 playback, which gives the horrible letter boxing. I guess I don't understand the difference between 4:3 and 16:9 if they both fit inside the 720x480 frame.

Help is much appreciated

Give me what you have, I will make it look right.
VicBond007

PreviousNext

Return to AMV Contests