Anime North Music Video Competition Rules 2012

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime music video contests.

Anime North Music Video Competition Rules 2012

Postby Kieop » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:41 pm

Hi rules are finally up!

The AN website has been moved and redesigned, so your old bookmarks may no longer work. However, the address is still www.animenorth.com

http://www.animenorth.com/live/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=299:music-video-competition&catid=53:japanese-guests&Itemid=72

This year's Challenge is to make a video using a song with non-English and non-Japanese lyrics.

Good luck!
Kieop

Re: Anime North Music Video Competition Rules 2012

Postby Scintilla » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:32 pm

Kieop wrote:This year's Challenge is to make a video using a song with non-English and non-Japanese lyrics.

Given this plus a lack of age restriction (unless I seriously missed something reading over the rules), I just hope we don't get a flood of "Caramelldansen" videos.

Now a flood of "Dragostea Din Tei" videos, now, THAT could be amusing. :idea:
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby EkaCoralian » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm going to try Momiji's Challenge again this year. I've got two song ideas in mind, but one I'll probably have to cut one of them down should I choose that one.
Are we allowed to type out English translated lyrics by any chance?
EkaCoralian

Postby Kieop » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:45 pm

You don't need to provide translations, but you can if you want. Subtitles can be a visual distraction and may adversely affect your cinematography mark, but if you feel that they are important to your artistic integrity then you may supply them. If you think they'd help your artistic vision mark more than they'd detract from your cinematography mark, then you can justify including them. It's a subjective call.
Kieop

Postby EkaCoralian » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:07 pm

Ok, thank you! I'll keep that in mind.
EkaCoralian

Postby Kieop » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:34 pm

In the aftermath of Megaupload being shut down, some other file sharing sites have either ceased operation or cut back on services. Hopefully, this will blow over by the time the submission deadline rolls around (Apr 2). For now, most of the other sites that have traditionally been used for submitting to AN have been unaffected, but this may change.

When uploading your video, please check to make sure that your video can be downloaded by other parties. Some sites have now restricted download access to the original uploader.

For now, there appear to be enough options available to continue submitting electronically under our current system. However, if this changes, we may have to explore other electronic submission options (like FTP).
Kieop

Postby pacotacoshell » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:18 am

Currently starting on my Momiji Challenge entry :D
pacotacoshell

Postby Kieop » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Hey Everyone!

This is a friendly reminder that the submission deadline is Monday April 2 at 11:59pm DST (officially). This is a firm deadline, but not a rigid one; we will accept videos that arrive shortly after midnight if it is obvious that a sincere effort was made to meet the deadline.

Good luck. There is only one week left!!
Kieop

Postby Kyssifur » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:35 pm

The challenge is great, I hope my video can participate. I've just sent my entry. ^^
we are awesome
Kyssifur

Postby l33tmeatwad » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:27 pm

I already have a video that fits the Momiji’s Challenge :ying:
Sites: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
Guides & Scripts: AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
l33tmeatwad

Postby EkaCoralian » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:35 pm

I have a question! I'm close to finishing my video, but I don't know if I'll be able to meet the deadline. If things don't work out for the video I'm working on, are trailers and/or trailer parodies accepted as normal AMVs to submit?
EkaCoralian

Postby Kieop » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:11 am

Yes, we accept trailer parodies. We only ask that you use trailers with background music. We don't allow pure spoken word audio, but most trailers use music, so it's not a concern.
Kieop

Postby EkaCoralian » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:02 am

Oh, ok! So you mean as long as the full trailer audio itself has background music with the voices overlayed? I mean mine does but when you say pure spoken word audio you mean just that audio alone with nothing else is to be avoided if possible, right?
EkaCoralian

Postby Kieop » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:14 am

Yeah. Exactly.

We allow spoken word audio, but to be an amv, it should be set to music. Otherwise, it's just an overdub. Trailers usually have music to set a tone, which the studio hopes will resonate with their target audience, so trailers usually have background music. Anyway, we allow music tracks which may have either sung or spoken "lyrics". We also allow judicious use of dialogue.
Kieop

Postby EkaCoralian » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:03 am

Ah, alright; understood. I took a bit more time deciding between two videos to submit and just sent the email now; thanks for answering my questions! Certainly helped my deciding process. C:
Can't wait to see all of the AMVs this year!
EkaCoralian

Next

Return to AMV Contests