AWA 2011 Pro Video Discussion Thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
SailorDeath
Org Profile

Re: AWA 2011 Pro Video Discussion Thread

Post by SailorDeath » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:14 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
SailorDeath wrote:It's okay, there's a difference between not knowing and blatantly ignoring the suggestion. Personally I know your video and Ask Milly are of better quality of mine, so my odds of winning are low. I was a little shocked about the removal of the 2 entries so late in the game (and at the same time a little happy, cause I knew it up my odds of winning) Only one way I'm gonna find out and that's on Saturday.
Which one was yours?

#15, Hasa Diga Eebowai.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:15 pm

SailorDeath wrote:#15, Hasa Diga Eebowai.
Cool! I really enjoyed that one, could use some more tweaking, but overall I thought it was really good.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:17 pm

On a similar note though, I'm just as guilty fer the whole blind thing in a different way. When the whole book of mormon album came out. I remember linking the song in IRC and telling people that I was gonna make a video to one of the songs. So I'm sure those in #amv were able to tell which was mine.

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:21 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
SailorDeath wrote:#15, Hasa Diga Eebowai.
Cool! I really enjoyed that one, could use some more tweaking, but overall I thought it was really good.
Yeah, tweaking is like my Achilles heel. I tend to get lazy and say "that's good enough"

Though now that our information is public I should add:

1. The dvds I used are the original R2 DVDs that I imported.
2. Early R2 dvd's had all kinds of encoding problems.
3. The interlacing problems, the black borders on the sides of the video, those are all remants that popped up on the R2 dvds.

so basically what I'm trying to say is that my source wasn't as good as I'd like it to be but most encoding problems with that video were present in the original dvds.

Welp, time to get planning on next year's crop of amvs. I got a few old ideas that I never made just because they would take too much work, but now that I have a year to work on them, I can have it finished before awa2012.

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:28 pm

That is another issue. Some people have distinct styles/predictable patterns.
Hell, one person strait called me out on mine, but I gave 'em ye olde pokerface. Granted, I doubt it will surprise many anyway :\

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:29 pm

SailorDeath wrote:The rules for pro don't say that the videos need to be new and non-trollish. They say they frown upon it, but they're still allowed. But I agree I would like to see an end to troll-mvs in pro. It was one of the things I liked about pro back when I first started entering it, the fact I would be competing with all new videos. Kinda sucks to enter and then find out you got clobbered by an amv that already won several awards at different conventions and here you made something new just for that contest.
I'm a lot less concerned with my video losing to a video that has won elsewhere as I am with overall contest experience. When I first started entering, getting that DVD full of brand-new, (usually) high-quality videos was like.....well it was like AMV Christmas!
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Mr Pilkington wrote:That is another issue. Some people have distinct styles/predictable patterns.
Hell, one person strait called me out on mine, but I gave 'em ye olde pokerface. Granted, I doubt it will surprise many anyway :\

Yeah, that's one thing I'll also be working on for 2012, I want to make something that is so not my style. But then I'm pretty much only good at comedies. Any attempt at something different ususally results in a poopy video.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:36 pm

SailorDeath wrote:
Mr Pilkington wrote:That is another issue. Some people have distinct styles/predictable patterns.

Yeah, that's one thing I'll also be working on for 2012, I want to make something that is so not my style. But then I'm pretty much only good at comedies. Any attempt at something different ususally results in a poopy video.
You just have to put more time into it to make something "off-style". My masters entry wasn't my typical style and it took more time than all of my previous videos combined, lol...I also had to force myself to do things that I wanted to do, but didn't have a desire to put the time down to do it. I've been pretty guilty of the "meh, it's good enough because it's comedy" thing in the past, it was harder to do and redo things to make them look better, as well as doing effects I was not used to.

Edit: Another thing with doing "off-style" videos is, get used to doing something then scrapping it, haha...
Last edited by l33tmeatwad on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:37 pm

Yeah, I went total 180 one year and did a live action video with a pretty serious theme that I loved and still do, but it got pooped on a returned to sender.
That said, I have plans for expo next year, pro is still a lingering taste of potato pizza

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:38 pm

Ileia wrote:I'm a lot less concerned with my video losing to a video that has won elsewhere as I am with overall contest experience. When I first started entering, getting that DVD full of brand-new, (usually) high-quality videos was like.....well it was like AMV Christmas!
I know exactly where you're coming from, I miss those days. But you know the guys who're gonna be running it next year should be reading this thread and taking our discussion into account. I really wanna see a push to all new amvs only for pro. Masters already has that rule, and if your video won at other contests already well then expo is perfect for that too.

Return to “AMV Contests”