AWA 2011 Pro Video Discussion Thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Re: AWA 2011 Pro Video Discussion Thread

Post by Kitsuner » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:00 am

The Lauren Faust Award of Magical Friendship
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Snowcrash
Org Profile

Post by Snowcrash » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:52 am

My turn now.
I didn't put any mark because I felt more comfortable just with comments.
But I put in bold the videos I particularly appreciated even if sometimes my comments seem to be rude.

1 – That was actually a very interesting various about space. I really appreciate the way to illustrate the (robotical voice) lyrics. Good choice of sequences despite the very different type of sources.

2 – Nice Clannad AMV, the story is easy to catch. But the editing is a bit too simple and need more variations imho.

3 – Hahaha, this is really awesome. I love the song. And it’s a long I didn’t see a funny AMV on Envangelion (and this is nice to see some old school anime). The works on the texts are relly nice. Still the song is a bit repetitive but that was really fun. One of the best surprise of the entries.

4 – first PMV. Good one. But a bit too long because only focused on Dash but that’s the point of the video.

5 – Sorry I am not a bif fan of this type of compo and I was not so much interested by the different stories in it.

6 – Haaaaaa… Bible Black…..
Hoooooo… no explicit sex scenes ><
The lyrics are so funny but the video is forgettable. Just need to be watched once for the song xD

7 – I appreciate this one. The effects are interesting EXCEPT the multiple flashes which are too aggressive and useless.

8 – Let’s take the first two episodes of MLP + bad quality + voices from the cartoon + entire sequences with almost NO cut + a tasteless song = bad job, brony

9 – this various AMV mixes very badly different kind of sources. They didn’t fit at all each other. The first video was a various AMV but the choice of scenes was really better despite the different types. Dislike this one.

10 – Nothing very special but I remember a good editing and the very transitions between the different segments. Unfortunately the video is really too long.

11 – 3rd PMV on Pinkie this time. This one is shorter, funnier, with a really good synchro. I enjoyed it.

12 – First time I saw this anime. Basic action video but the editing is correct. Nothing more.

13 – Ho, a Hoshi no Koe AMV. Nice to see this old anime. The video is all right. But what are the voice at the end ? It’s weird.

14 – Even if Satoshi Kon works on the Magnetic Rose OAV (only as designer and layout), you shouldn’t add this anime. It doesn’t fit at all with the others sources. Problem of different aspect ratio along the video. Good link anime/lyrics but it’s difficult to forget this awesome AMV by Rocket on Paranoia Agent on the same music: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=54832
Sorry, bro.

15 – WTF – Fuck you GOD ! HAHAHAHAHA. I am not sure if the video could be released on screen at the AWA. A big LOL. Very fun and crazy. Make love with babies.
A bit too long by the way and repetitive. And some aliasing sometimes.

16 – A Kung fu Panda video focused on the villain. I am a bit disappointed with this video ‘cause the beginning was really awesome and there is a very good internal synchro but the middle of the video used a lot of long sequence from the video and need really more cuts. We feel like you used really long sequences without doing nothing in your editing. The rhythm need more cuts. The end of the video is better. Maybe I was excepting too much for an awesome vid on this source.

17 – Lot of effects in this video (blur, green/red stuff, TV screen, scratches…). To be honest I am not a huge fan of all these effects. And I think it could be more efficient to be focused on a better editing. However the synchro is still good and the music video is quiet catchy.

18 – More a pony advert than a music video. Still the compo is nice. But I don’t classify it as an AMV.

19 – Original concept about RPG. This Final Fantasy anime really looks like a RPG game. But I was not really enthousiast during the viewing. A bit boring.

20 – THAT WAS AWESOME ! The lips synch are just perfectly done. I didn’t know at all the parody. I guess the original show is American. It may useful to have some subtitles for non-english speaing people. But the dialogs are clearly understandable. I loved it. All American are not puritans \o/
“And I want a 69”

21 – Action video on Dogs. Watchable and forgettable.

22 – An amv for kids? About library. That was boring and some sequences are out of the theme.

23 – Difficult to innovate on the evangelion source. Still the video #3 succeeds to do it. Not this one. The editing is solid but I dislike the black screens at the beginning to catch the beat synch. I don’t feel that the link between the song and the anime is fitting up.

24 – Hehe, some Russian editors entered in this contest. Already seen this one before. The editing is pretty solid and this a really good action/kicking video. But Tekken live action movie looks… weird.

25 – First I was not really catched by the source. But the story is good here and very understandable. The editing is simple but very efficient imho. I liked this one. And you success to give me the feeling to watch this movie. So I guess it’s a good point for you.

26 – Already saw this video at another contest. Dislike this one. There is too much things on the screen. It’s a complete mess in my eyes : too many layers, too much transparency, few ugly filters, some inappropriate choice of anime (sky crawlers :/). I felt too much randomness there. There were good edited sequences by the way.

27 – Really too long and too many repetitive sequences of the “core” of the computer. The story is interesting but I didn’t like so much the music. Good editing.

28 – Nice HUD here. Action Naruto video. Good synchro but nothing more. And this song is now overused.

29 – I was scary at the beginning of the video, thinking that a rap music is very tricky to edit. But you did well, very well actually. Liked it.

30 – Already a video on Nichijou. Michael Jackson is not black !!! Funny one despite it miss some energetic choice of scene imho. But there are really good internal synchro here.

31 – OMG the video quality of this one is stunning. The editing is very solid and I didn’t expect this rock music on macros F but it matches quiet well. The masks are very well done as always from this editor (:p) except maybe the photography at 2’28 which was weirdly put on the space background. But the rhythm on this one is really good.

32 – Nice amv on Noein. The storytelling is good and sentimental.

33 – Good trailer cut on games. Like it. The transitions are good and the editing is pretty solid. Just not fan of the first person sequences which are not very easy to integrate with the other sequences.

34 - Errr. Batwoman ? Batgirl ? The source seems to come from an amateur movie. But I get boring for this one. Dislike it.

35 – Well this is an interesting alternative animated music video. Good horror ambiance here. The editing is a bit simple by the way.

36 – So many music videos on Sucker Punch recently >< This one is good but nothing more than the others I saw. But some transitions between the fantastic world and the “real” world are actually well thought.

37 – Really weird video mixing a video game and a film. But the different parallels are nice. The differents ratio could have been corrected to be fitted properly.
Just a question : does the real guy playing Shadow of colossus in the movie?

38 – First time I saw an AMV on King of thorn. I think it’s the second AMV in this contest using bluray source with the one on Macross F. The quality is just incredible : we can really feel the difference of quality between a classic mkv version on internet and a HD release.
So about the clip: the editing is good and we follow easily the story (not really complicated btw) but it’s a bit too long and using almost only cuts is a bit boring for the viewers.

39 – Well the most interesting thing is the video quality of the FF8 rip which have been nicely cleaned. Otherwise… I was falling asleep because of the music and the slowness.

40 – O_o what a choice of source. I applaud the author(s) who take such risks. The editing is ok but the audio change in the middle of the video is harsh. I suppose you were maybe two editors. Some good ideas like the live actors in the rear-view mirror.

41 – One word: why ? Why such a waste ?
I mean the first part was really awesome (I actually didn’t think I could like a magical girl source so much). The editing was really awesome. Really. Very good rhythm, transitions and editing on the song of Black Eyed Peace. And 3’30 we got this horrible audio cut to get these 3D magical girls dancing on a soapy music >< (the editing was ok but the scenes were always the same).
Why? But WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?
Please just release the first part alone. Sorry for the second editor (if there was one).

42 – Another Girl who throught the time AMV again. Nothing special to me.

43 – A funny soul eater amv. Didn’t understand who's the live guy in it. Not a big fan of this one.

44 – I don’t why but I like the mood of this one. So strange watching this one.

45 – Good trailer on RE Degeneration despite it’s from 2010 now. Too bad the author didn’t convert properly the framerate, we can see some superposed frames. But the trailer is very efficient.

46 – The power of game is in you, dude. I think this one is the best GMV of the contest here. Good selection of scene even if it looks like more that a game trailer cut but I enjoyed the slow motion sequences very much.

47 - A very very slow romance AMV.

48 – Hahaha. Be careful kids. Don’t do that at home. Some fun in it.

49 – I can’t believe I’d watched a Photon AMV. This source is so old and was one my first anime I saw. Interesting how you transformed the original source into a dramatic video. Otherwise I dislike the violent many flashes used at the beginning.

50 – Interlacing here.

51 – Too too too long. Even if the lyrics are fun it was hard to watch the clip till the end. The lips synchros are extremely well done. But I prefer the Pinkie AMV.

52 – This video is the BEST surprise of the selection!!! I spent a really good time watching it. The association lyrics/ “cartoon” sequences is very smart. The song is definitely entertaining. And I could have imagined a Japanese movie including Paris and white people in it xD
But please plan to release a mp4 version. It deserves it. Personnaly we maybe have the winner of this AWA (just my opinion)?

53 - DA PANDA IS COMING. I don’t know how certain editors can have such ideas in there mind. Sometimes I am afraid to be an editor.

54 – I was really enjoyed to have a music video on Avatar. But the song dude, the song. The editing and the transitions are good but there are really too many fades in this one. More cuts could have been nicer for the viewing.

55 – There is a logo. I can’t judge it.

56 – I think this video will enjoy all the FSN fans. I actually like this one. The editing is pretty solid despite the video is a bit too long.

So who's next?

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:28 pm

I scored everything, but decided not to share because the contest is insufficiently blind.

1. A tribute to starscapes? I <3 stars too. Some scene selection is beautiful and some *shrug.* It's a bit one note, but it's a pretty note. Nice atmosphere ;)

2. It takes amazing editing for me to get past an abominable song, and while this has some periods that are beautifully on point, it just isn't enough to get past the song.

3. It's really entertaining but it relies heavily on the text.

4. Gets monotonous, starts on a bad note with arbitrary scenes and lip-flap.

5. This video would be better without the lip sync, and more cohesive with only one couple. The "photos" are adroitly used, and there are some other really great scene selections, but the lip-sync pulls me out of it.

6. My stomach turns a bit at the idea of re-watching this, it's not your editing, it's all the drool... Eck! There are some funny moments, but overall I think this would make people want to stay virgins.

7. The AMV really suits the song. At times it suffers from effects overkill and during the more frenetic moments it's kinda painful to watch (literally). Good sync... Something about it just doesn't appeal to me though.

8. Mixed video quality :( Audio mixing could use work, song & source lack synergy.

9. This song would work better with one source... or maybe a lot more sources. Visually "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" melds terribly with the others (superflat coloring). Some of the scene selection and timing of edits seem arbitrary.

10. Starts with text I can't read! What did I ever do to you? Editing is so hit and miss. When it hits it's great, when it misses I wonder if you had half a video when the deadline drew near so you just through stuff in. I wish there was more cohesion.

11. Most joyful character profile I've ever seen... and I totally want to spend New Year's Eve in Equestria now. |:>

12. I confess I don't care for most action AMVs, and this seems pretty typical. Also there is overlay overkill, & mediocre video quality.

13. *Shrug* Emotionally doesn't connect for me. The text at the corners in the beginning pull the eye from the other visuals, the audio at the end is cut off (unless she's supposed to say, "I'm coming ho.") But otherwise everything is nicely done.

14. Well, I knew before watching it that it was a tribute. I wonder how this video would come across to someone who didn't know how the sources were connected. The atmosphere is consistent and there's real poignancy. Some of the lyrics syncs are literal to the point of being distracting. Also, what's with the interlacing?

15. Well cast. Too many lip syncs are on static images. Comedic elements are much stronger toward the end of the vid.

16. Needs more internal sync.... Irrelevant bonus comment: The song is describing a super bully, not a super villain.

17. Cheap effects well timed. Too much of the action is up close to really seem dynamic, and there are no other scenes. Great way to make me not care.

18. Nice screen saver. I like it, but AMV it is not.

19. Makes me happy. Highly apropos.

20. Expressions are so perfect. I don't see how the concept could have been executed better.

21. I liked it. Really like the song, and the song seems well suited to the anime. Beginning is a bit too slow, but its good to see an action AMV that is slow enough to actually process.

22. Nice PSA, but violins are not tubas, I think you may want to avail yourself of a book on instruments, if only there was somewhere you could go to borrow one... :book:

23. Action-schmaction some syncs are perfect some aren't.

24. Maybe if your 23rd pair of chromosomes don't match you'll like this. I don't see the appeal. Generic rock song, unconvincing stage-fighting, not enough internal syncs.

25. I don't follow the story. Girl is in India, girl meets lots of boys, girl likes 1 boy, confusion-confusion, happy ending? Very well paced though.

26. I love this video, if I too were a video I might even be in love with it. I read French proficiently, but it would have been polite to translate the opening quote into English for an American con.

27. Its long, some of the lyrics just don't work.

28. A chameleon can focus its eyes independently from each other, I cannot, though this video seems to expect me to. The video game style overlays don't make sense to me, they're kinda distracting, yet that's where most of the sync is.

29. Adeptly edited action. Makes the show look like total eye-candy. Lip sync is unnecessary, confuses which character I'm supposed to associate with the singer. (All of them, just him, him but only for the singing?)

30. Comedic miss. The working scene selections are few and far between. Song was funnier than the editing. Also are Japanese people white now? Tell casting directors. And who does the artist think dominates the rock industry?

31. Kinda looks like it could have been another amv that you doubled the speed on. The speed up often looks weird and the song seemed liked a random choice, but this did make Macross look fun and there are some beautiful transitions.

32. Looks like there's a narrative that I totally fail to follow. Song choice seemed arbitrary.

33. Good sync.

34. I don't like it. I don't get what you were going for, and that bodysuit is not the best look for her, it's not even a good color on her. <-That comment-- more relevant than your song choice.

35. You're sick. I loved it! <3

36. Editing worked, song made sense.

37. 1 minute set up before the song... So the movie is in widescreen but you took extra shots for the game in a different aspect ratio? The disappearing re-appearing bars bug me. The song choice is really appropriate and the narrative is great.

38. Good story telling, clear chronology. The cuts are well timed, but can be jarring because the eye is drawn to different areas of the screen abruptly after fast edits.

39. Arbitrary scene selection.

40. Um... whoever told you that two obnoxious songs are better than one? Erg... The editing is good, aside from a few questionable choices & poor lip syncs, but the first song is annoying and the second fills me with visceral loathing.

41. Lip sync was thrown in for reasons unknown. The song changes for reasons unknown. I didn't get what you were going for I guess.

42. Best chance to use rofl as a pun, but I'll pass. Really cute. One of my favorites.

43. Lip-flap. Scene selection alternates between cute and random. Kinda seems like a WIP.

44. "What the Christ" & "Animals rule this land" segments worked, nothing else made sense.

45. The sound effects & editing match perfectly. Its the kind of game I don't want to play and the type of movie that I don't want to see, but as an AMV it's solid.

46. I have seen too much TV Noise effects in these videos and you Sir or Madam (probably Sir), contributed to the problem.

47. I don't understand the narration if there there was any. I didn't understand many lyrics. I saw a girl commit suicide and then heard "perfect day".... um WTF? Musical sync is fine, but couldn't save the work as a whole. Should have gone with Lou Reed.

48. Great pairing. Scene selection is amazing in the beginning, and fairly strong through the end.

49. Painful strobing in the beginning. Seriously, who could expect a fair score after inflicting pain your judges? It was a really sweet ending though, and effective editing other than the torturous strobe, & the creepy intimacy that seems to be between a child & an adult.

50. This is a parody of something I hadn't heard of before looking it up, and I didn't bother to watch. It looks like a decent opening to something or other.

51. Cute concept. Long song, which could have been cut. Quality varied. There is some choppiness (for example in the bear-claw scene) in the editing. Obviously a lot of work was put into this video, but it wasn't enough for a consistent product.... but it's really fun.

52. I understand why you paired this song & source, but I don't feel like it's enough to carry the video. The terrible singing and creepy acting combine to make a very unlikable character, which does not seem intentional.

53. Terrible video quality. Appropriate pairing, cute but not overly funny.

54. Epic instrumental + epic looking scenes randomly strung together. I don't feel like I saw purposeful editing.

55. Song is funnier than most of the editing. There are a lot of scenes that are too static, some of the scene selection is good, but it's hit and miss. AMV should just end after "That was the night I fought Rocky." If some of the injury details were cut it would also help. Plus there is a weird line down the right hand side & a watermark! :nono:

56. This seems like two videos. An action video that is really adeptly edited, but essentially meaningless, and a confused/confusing drama/romanace with 3 couples; a+b b+c & c+d. It's very pretty though.

I could identify the editors of 17 videos because they've already been "published" online. With 3 representing the score I'd give to an average AMV contest finalist the mean score I gave these videos is 3.25 (I'm too lazy to find a SD.)

I enjoyed these video more than my comments seem to indicate, I guess it's easier to point out flaws in super-short critique. :sweat:

EimiJ7
Org Profile

Post by EimiJ7 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:35 pm

I was going to wait a little longer before posting, but since I'm not sure if I'm going to have power in the next few days, I decided I would just post now ^^;

Here are a few of my favorites ^.^

17. it's usually really hard for me to watch action AMV's but this kept my interest for the entire video. I guess since it also had that emotional story element, but it never lost the action video feel either. Excellent job, you beat my short attention span (b^.^)b

26. I love this one! I thought using the actual instruments was excellent and the effects really worked for me. I feel like this video was made to make people notice the music instead of the music being there to support the video. This was extremely creative, and I really enjoyed it.

31. Oooo I like. I don't see this side of Macross Frontier as often. I think this fit with the song great, and the flow was amazing. It was really successful at creating that upbeat atmosphere. One of my favorites so far.

38. Awesome sync and flow; kept me interested the whole time. It is really difficult for me to follow the plot of this, but it is done so well that it makes me want to watch the anime to try to fill in the holes in the plot.

52. This took me by surprise. I don't typically watch live action because real life is boring :p but this video is not boring at all. It was perfect for the song and was so much fun to watch.

Some other comments I made while watching (Sorry it's not all of them ^^;):

1. cool. doesn't really keep my attention the whole time, but still a really well done mixture of many anime sources.

3. I always laugh at this ^.^ I think the typography is done really well and adds a lot to the video, and I actually think the lip syncing is pretty good too.

5. This one was adorable. I liked the beginning where the piano switched from frame to frame, and the sync throughout was pretty good (every once in a while a little late). It just bugged me a little that both the girls and the guys were singing it. It just felt like it should have been one side to the other (I would just pick girls because of the singer)

7. I thought this one had great sync and effects. The idea of it wasn't really my cup of tea but it was still really well executed

9. I generally like the mood of this amv, it's got a light uplifting air to it. I thought it started out a little slow, but definitely got better as it went on.

11. good keeping to the theme. I liked it until the slow down at the end... I just felt like it slowed down too slowly... so maybe either should have ended sooner, or should have started slowing down later... I think?

13. good combination of music and dialogue. I felt like the clips moved a little slowly, but overall it was well done and was successful at achieving a serene and touching atmosphere.

14. This was a pretty good tribute to Satoshi Kon, I felt like sometimes it moved a little slower than it had to, but generally I enjoyed it and thought it did a good job showing of the style of Satoshi Kon's animations.

16. Very well done. I enjoyed it. The only thing I can think of that would have made it better for me would be if you made the story a bit more chronological. It just seemed to jump around a lot while at the same time seemed to be trying to tell a story... maybe I'm wrong though

18. While I understand that this took a lot of work to make, it just didn't do it for me. I would have liked it more if the whole thing had more of what happened at 1:17ish to the end. still I do understand and appreciate the work you put into this.

19. I thought this was pretty good, I thought it could have used more video game-like effects that could have also made the text work a little better, but I enjoyed the concept.

22. nice use of various anime, and this song is now stuck in my head...

27. Hey... I remember I saw this movie in school one time... now I know what it's called XD

28. Cool video game effects, nice tribute to Lee. I also like that you didn't make it drag on longer than it had to, even though it is on the short side, it is still a good length.

29. Nice flow (b^.^)b I like the song choice too; I found it randomly stuck in my head today XD

30. The sync was really good, but even though I could see the lyric sync I think maybe this anime wasn't the best choice for this song... that might be just me though because I haven't seen that anime.

32. For the first half of the video I wasn't so into this one especially since the clip with the necklace was used 3 times very close together, but around 2:40 I started to get interested again. I think the dialogue actually worked wonders to pull my attention back into the video and after that I really enjoyed it ^.^

35. O.O wow definitely unique... and creepy... and extremely well done

39. Yay! Simba's Pride ^.^

40. I don't think the subtitles matched the dialogue in the middle ^^; (but I'd still believe it if that was the actual English dub version or something)

41. Pretty good and it kept me interested the whole time because of all the movement, but it felt like two different AMV's just thrown together into one... but I really liked both of them ^.^

42. It was good sync, but it seemed the only part of it that really fit with the song was the rolling part. I would have been better if there was maybe more of Chiaki in it to make it work with the song more. overall I enjoyed the upbeat nature of it though.

44. kind of random but interesting (in a good way). I was kind of hoping to see a beard put on one of the characters in the end, but I still thought it was a good upbeat.

45. Wow this is like a real trailer XD This was really well executed I even think the typeface worked really well with the theme of the trailer. (b^.^)b

51. Definitely funny, But this thing was more than 11 minutes long O.O I was about halfway through when I looked at how much time was left and realized I was only halfway through ^^; it was really well done all the way through though.

53. Get a Panda! lol

55. well executed. worked perfectly with the story/song

56. oooo good, makes me want to watch the movie. I'll confess I wasn't so interested at first, but probably about a minute into I was hooked to the end.

and no scores from me. I think in general scores are distracting and don't necessarily describe how good a video is since everyone's scoring systems are different ^^; and for those of you who's video is not here, it doesn't necessarily mean I didn't like it (in fact a lot of them I really enjoyed), it only means I didn't really have anything fun/useful to say about it

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:47 am

I hope we'll be able to vote soon. It's a month away from AWA!
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:38 pm

Ileia wrote:I hope we'll be able to vote soon. It's a month away from AWA!

We should just declare you the winner, dunno which video is yours but you seem to do exceptionally well every year :P
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:44 pm

No, this will be the combo-breaker year. Anyway, that's not why I was asking about voting.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Ileia wrote:No, this will be the combo-breaker year.
That's right, I'll surprise everyone by winning best of show and arson.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:03 pm

No, I'll win....

Wait.. I'm staff and running programming so I didn't enter anything for the first time in 10 years :cry:

Oh well, all your videos belong to us :asd:

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:47 pm

How come I never got an e-mail that the videos were up for download?
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Return to “AMV Contests”